Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times

Advertisements

Not certain, Rick . . . however, I believe Amazon does have at least a shipping facility, possibly even more, in the Phoenix area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 12:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
If Amazon has no brick and mortar ops in AZ, why should they be paying any taxes to AZ? They get zero gov't. services - no fire, EMS, police, garbarge, water, nothing. They have no employees using the roads here. They cost the state nothing, so they should pay the state nothing. When I buy books, I just buy used from half dot com. I buy a lot of car parts from a drop shipper in CA with free shipping and no sales tax. There are always drop shippers on eBay who ship from outside AZ and don't charge sales tax too. Other than gas, groceries and booze (which is already dirt cheap in AZ compared to other states), that's how I shop. The state will never try to cut spending, they'll just look for more revenue. If I live above my means, it doesn't make any kind of case for asking my boss for a raise. Starve the beast, don't feed it.
It's not Amazon paying the tax. They are just collecting it from the Arizona Resident.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:32 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
It's not Amazon paying the tax. They are just collecting it from the Arizona Resident.
Oh, I know. Companies don't pay a dime in taxes. They just collect them from consumers and pass them along to the state.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know. Companies don't pay a dime in taxes. They just collect them from consumers and pass them along to the state.
No true either. Companies pay Local, State, and Federal taxes on their profits.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
No true either. Companies pay Local, State, and Federal taxes on their profits.
And where do you think that money comes from? The unicorn ranch? Every single cost of doing business - from the toilet paper in the men's room to employee health insurance premiums to the paper in the printer and especially ALL taxes is built into the price of the product or service. They don't run on offering plates like churches.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
And where do you think that money comes from? The unicorn ranch? Every single cost of doing business - from the toilet paper in the men's room to employee health insurance premiums to the paper in the printer and especially ALL taxes is built into the price of the product or service. They don't run on offering plates like churches.

I am not sure I get your point. This law is to recover the lost sales tax on purchases made out of state by Arizona Residents online.

It has nothing to do with what any out of state, or in state, company may pay in Local, State or Federal taxes on their profits.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,300 times
may it's bed to saler..

Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 PM

641 posts, read 2,365,820 times
Are they related to overstock? Az is taxed from them too , but they are not located here. Just found out when I made a purchase last week .

Also , will this open the doors to all internet buying and selling? Does that mean Ebay is goin to report every single item I sell, to the irs? Seems like a doorway I do not want to deal with.

It is bad enough that AZ kept the money we received from the Feds, for the housing crisis that was supposed to go to affected homeowners, now they want to take more money that makes no sense.

As a previous poster said, they do receive our services.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Ebay is already required to report some sales to some states.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM

711 posts, read 1,855,799 times
The solution to all this intrusive and expensive reporting is for states to only tax merchants in their borders. That is, if an Arizonan buys mail-order from a California merchant, California applies their sales tax to the sale but Arizona doesn't. Same goes, but in reverse, for an Arizona merchant selling to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona