Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
kdog, those are some spectacular pictures. What kind of camera are you using?
Thanks, Nitram. Canon 20D. I've got a couple of threads in the Photography forum you might like. Like these two:

Fox Emotions

Lightning Storm in Arizona (dialup-warning)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:05 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,386 times
I watch my kids like a hawk. We are very overprotective, they do not play outside by themselves, they don't walk to school or stay the night at friends house(unless the parents are good friends of ours too). I have no doubt we'd be very cautious if we took a trip up to the Grand Canyon. However, after hearing this story and seeing the pics just posted in one of the last posts, I have no intention on taking my young kids to this beautiful place. Although, I would appreciate the beauty, my kids are still too young to be able to do so. I will wait until they are quite a bit older. It's just too scary.....I'd probably have anxiety the whole time anyways.....

Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 AM

461 posts, read 1,809,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
I watch my kids like a hawk. We are very overprotective, they do not play outside by themselves, they don't walk to school or stay the night at friends house(unless the parents are good friends of ours too). I have no doubt we'd be very cautious if we took a trip up to the Grand Canyon. However, after hearing this story and seeing the pics just posted in one of the last posts, I have no intention on taking my young kids to this beautiful place. Although, I would appreciate the beauty, my kids are still too young to be able to do so. I will wait until they are quite a bit older. It's just too scary.....I'd probably have anxiety the whole time anyways.....
You can appreciate the beauty of the Grand Canyon without having to stand "on the edge" of it. Yes, you definitely need to keep an eye on your children there . . . but that's true even at Disneyworld - right? I mean, you wouldn't let your kids go running around or wander off there, would you? I don't know how old your kids are, but it probably wouldn't be much fun to take pre-schoolers there (since they really wouldn't be able to appreciate the Grand Canyon and probably wouldn't remember it either), but if your kids are say 6 or 7 years old or older, I really don't think it's necessary for you to wait until your kids are "much older" to go there. You are obviously a good parent who takes great interest in your kids' lives and I'm sure you would have no problem at the Grand Canyon.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
You can appreciate the beauty of the Grand Canyon without having to stand "on the edge" of it. Yes, you definitely need to keep an eye on your children there . . . but that's true even at Disneyworld - right? I mean, you wouldn't let your kids go running around or wander off there, would you? I don't know how old your kids are, but it probably wouldn't be much fun to take pre-schoolers there (since they really wouldn't be able to appreciate the Grand Canyon and probably wouldn't remember it either), but if your kids are say 6 or 7 years old or older, I really don't think it's necessary for you to wait until your kids are "much older" to go there. You are obviously a good parent who takes great interest in your kids' lives and I'm sure you would have no problem at the Grand Canyon.
Great point, Stumblina.

I got a good laugh out of your comment that I highlighted.

Nowadays the way kids seem to be running wild, I am convinced some parents (using that term loosely) drop their kids off at places like Disneyland, Costco and Wal-Mart in the morning and pick them up later in the day.

As for this recent tragedy at The Canyon . . . considering the circumstances, it is very difficult for me to believe this poor child was being properly supervised.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 AM

48 posts, read 215,351 times
Very sad for sure, but the Grand Canyon is not to be taken lightly. We have been visiting Arizona on a regular basis house shopping in the Prescott area and my wife and I decided to take the trip up to the Grand Canyon and take our 8 year old son. We drove to Flagstaff and then took the train ride,,,what a blast.

Once there, it was obvious to us that we needed to keep a close eye on our son. The beauty is undescribable, but I had a hard time enjoying it, as I was too worried about my son. Walking along the rim in most areas there are no gaurdrails, and I made my son walk on the inside of me, and when he wanted to look over I had a strong grip on him at all times. The wind would occasionally gust rather strong too,,,and gave you the feeling of being blown over the side It was enough for us, we ate at a nearby restaurant and jumped back on the train.

We were told that several people fall off every year, as if it's a common accurance. I can't help but wonder, (and I saw this first hand at the canyon) how many parents just don't watch their kids close enough.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Why was no one watching this child?
No children of your own, eh? Many children are watched the whole time they are running into the street and into the grill of a moving vehicle. It is not a question of the child not being watched, it is a question of being able to prevent them from doing something they shouldn't be doing.

I remember my family vacation to the Grand Canyon and my mom's constant admonishments to stay away from the edge to all three of us kids. We were sure that she was just being a "mom" about it and we knew when we were safe or not. We always know best. I am sure her eyes never left us, but we got pretty close to see over the edge on several occasions. No mishaps or even close calls, but I am sure we went into some dangerous situations without our knowledge.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:28 AM

48 posts, read 215,351 times
I don't know, I guess I just watch mine closer than some other parents. And I made absolutely sure my son understood the consequences of falling over as well. He was by my side at all times. Maybe we are extreme parents but we didn't fall off though I did witness several parents involved in chitter chat while their kids were running wild. Not too responsible of the parents unfortunately.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:06 PM

461 posts, read 1,809,939 times
I think I'd be crawling on my hands and knees here!!! VERY scary!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
I think I'd be crawling on my hands and knees here!!! VERY scary!
LMBO @ Stumblina!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:24 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
I think I'd be crawling on my hands and knees here!!!
With a name like Stumblina, I don't blame you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona