Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,198,208 times

Advertisements

Just some random questions. What's with all of the Toyota trucks with CA plates towing older Toyota pickup trucks eastbound along Interstate 10? Sometimes I spot 20 or more in a day rolling past Tucson. I never see them going westbound. I drive a Tacoma myself, so I notice these things. Is it just me? Where are they going? Do they come through Phoenix, or are they coming off of I-8?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 05:33 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,411,980 times
More than likely to Mexico, see them al over the USA.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,198,208 times
That makes sense .

Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 PM

5,651 posts, read 11,206,047 times
These older pickups are purchased in the Los Angeles area from private owners, auctions and sometimes from used car dealers who might think the trucks are too junky for their lot. Here in southern cal, car capital of the universe, it is easy to find older model trucks where the body and interior are fine, they just have high miles and need mechanical work. The 1980s and 1990s pickups were not as computerized as current models, so they can usually be restored by a good mechanic with basic tools and reasonably priced parts. Nissan pickups are popular also because the same models of Nissan compact pickups that were sold in the US were also sold and made in Mexico.

There are buyers in LA who will accumulate a bunch of vehicles for a client in Mexico who is typically a used truck dealer. The buyer in LA will make arrangements to have a crew of driver-mechanics from LA take the vehicles in a convoy to meet their customer from Mexico at one of the main border crossings like Tijuana, Nogales or El Paso. The drivers usually have enough tools and collective skills to fix something if one of the trucks breaks down on the convoy trip. After they hand off the vehicles to the customer at TJ, Nogales or El Paso the drivers simply take a bus back to LA.

Sometimes I see convoys of used vehicles headed for the port of Long Beach, where they are loaded into containers and shipped to Central or South America. It is usually totally legal and legit - many of these would otherwise end up in the junk yard and sold as scrap metal to Asia and come back here as a shiny new Kia or Hyundai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona