Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 AM

27 posts, read 62,572 times

Advertisements

Hi. this is my first post here. I hope I am posting in the right place.

I want to relocate to Arizona for the lower cost of living. I spent a week in Dolan Springs (north of Kingman) about six years ago, and loved it. I was looking at Golden Valley (west of Kingman), but it looks like the whole area around the Chloride copper mine may have some serious groundwater sustainability issues coming up, so that's out. I just need some place clean, quiet, and inexpensive out in the country, that does not have a lot of drugs, or crime. I am a real quiet Bible reader (I don't need any "nightlife" or anything). and I write, so I can pretty much work from anywhere (if that gives you a picture?), but DSL would be a major ++. Organic food would also be a major ++. (I can grow my own food, but I don't really have time.)

So... Is it possible to find a place that is clean, quiet, rural, inexpensive, and safe, with good groundwater, DSL and access to organic food? Or am I dreaming/"asking way too much"?

Thanks very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,562 times
I do think you need to return and check out North on Stockton Hill,
DSL could be a trick but Datamax has wireless shot from Radar Hill behind the cemetery in Kingman that goes out to what we call Bob's Hill on the North end towards Red Lake. That site covers quite a bit of area for internet and also shoots a signal to another site out in Valle Vista.
As you go out Rt 66 past Valle Vista towards Hackberry there are several places tucked in against the Peacock Mtns to the South back in behind the railroad tracks. Sure cell coverage is iffy and wifi may not get there. But there is water for a well and last I saw there was places available.
Kingman area is huge and offers something for everyone.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,352,889 times
IMO, it unlikely that you will find what you are looking for in Golden Valley other than cheap land....it's probably cheap for good reason.

I might suggest upper Oro Valley, more towards Oracle than Tucson. Tucson has your organic shopping, with Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Sprouts, etc. However, the soil is not exactly prime farm land, it will need lots of soil amendments for gardening, but I've seen it done. Generally good water, DSL available in most places. The property will be more expensive than your first choice, just remember the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rule in real estate purchases....is "location".

Oro Valley

Oracle

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Default Need water, peace, organic food, and DSL

Rambrush, thanks for sharing so quickly! It is a big help, and I appreciate it. But what does one do about the water sustainability issues, with the aquifer level getting lower, and groundwater contamination from the copper mine at Chloride?

Last edited by Needwaterandpeace; 12-17-2012 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Default Are there groundwater concerns around Oracle?

Gemstone, thanks! I will check that out. One can always bring in amendments for raised beds, but if one has to bring in water on a repetitive basis, that makes it tougher.

Are there any known groundwater issues outside of Oracle?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 AM

I was thinking the reason The Kingman area was so cheap was because it is smaller, and there not as many jobs. And that does seem to be the reason, because most people still seem to be unaware of the groundwater sustainability problem.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 AM

What about the Page area?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 AM

5 posts, read 67,492 times
I highly recommend Cornville, AZ. The only issue that I have heard is mostly due to ignorance. The water here is HARD. But, it is not, as some would say, Polluted. If you need pure water, Then a reverse osmosis filter would give you a lot more freedom, With an R/O you could live anywhere.
Good luck.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Beekeeper View Post
With an R/O you could live anywhere.
Anywhere there is water, but yeah, good point.

Thanks, Beekeeper.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,820,641 times
You're being rather silly. A mine in Chloride isn't going to suck the aquifers under Kingman and Golden Valley dry any more than the Green Valley mine would be able to suck Tucson's aquifers dry. (They are comparable distances.) Green Valley's problem is limited to just Green Valley. Plus, they're using their water for both agriculture irrigation as well as mining. Mohave County has no agriculture.

The Choloride mine reopening is going through a huge local and federal regulatory review process. There's no way they'd get their approvals if there was that kind of widespread risk to the water table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona