Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Dutch Bros is huge in Oregon and one of the coffee shops I was talking about in my above post. Was not aware they were in the valley. Dutch Bros has great coffee and beats starbucks by a mile.
There is one on Central and Indian School (??) and it looks like they are popping up more in the East Valley right now. So far about 10 locations in the metro Phoenix area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM

568 posts, read 1,205,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I've never been able to identify the substance that Starbuck's sells, but I can assure you it isn't "coffee"..

When Tim Horton's crosses the Missisippi, then you'll know what coffee is..

Actually you're probably right. I never drink the coffee- I go there for the chai (tea) latte which I am completely addicted to. So addicted, in fact, that I even bought the Tazo concentrate that it's made with and make it in the comfort of my own home when not out-n-about in town. Love the smell of coffee, though- just not the taste!

Last edited by Xica_da_Silva; 01-29-2013 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
I am a coffee junkie no matter where I am. Loved coffee when I lived in Michigan and I drink just as much in Arizona, climate doesn't affect my habit one bit.

There is a considerable lack of good local authentic coffeehouses in states like Arizona but I have managed to locate a few good out-of-the-way little stores in the Phoenix-Tempe area.

Starbucks can be found on just about every major streetcorner but that becomes tiresome.

Of all the chainstores, Dunkin has some of the best coffee imho.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
I don't think AZ has as stong as a coffee culture as other like sized cities - but I don't think we lag much on actual coffee consumption

If you look at this link from 2010 it ranked phoenix as the 7th most caffeinated city in the nation
The 20 Most Caffeinated Cities - The Daily Beast

It's hard to find any one good, clear stat .... from what I see you have places like Seattle that just blow away the national average - So comparing phoenix to seattle doesn't help when looking at phoenix to other states ... it falls short to seattle, sure - but so does everywhere else

There is also the dynamic of coffee shop, home or work consumption .... I see no shortage of people loading up on coffee at gas stations and places like that in phoenix ... you shift worker getting ready for the day

The city isn't dense, we don't have a ton of foot traffic and really don't have the same dynamic as cities with the "coffee shop culture" .... that doesn't mean that coffee isn't being consumed though

I would venture that AZ is probably a bit ahead of the national average as far as raw consumption of coffee

Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
as for krispy kreme - their prominence of wall street darling didn't last long (by the end of 2005 they had a full management change and were putting together a plan to avoid bankruptcy as a whole) and was definitely not the case when AZ & NM had their big store closings

their problems have nothing to do with coffee sales in AZ .... there are a ton of different problems, many stemming from distribution, competition and the franchise arrangments

in 2006 the parent of the franchisee that owned all the krispy kreme shops in AZ & NM filed for bankruptcy - shutting down all stores

in 2011 they had another franchisee come in and operate 11 stores - all but one ended up closing

now there is a 3rd franchisee and last I heard they just opened their 3rd store in November with a focus on Mesa

Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 AM

861 posts, read 2,191,015 times
McDonalds coffee beats Starbucks hands down

Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
Yeah it's probably true. Just like there probably aren't as many per capita air conditioning repair businesses in Anchorage as there are in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona