Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 5,450 times

Advertisements

I know there are a lot of posts about people potentially moving to AZ. I've read a lot of them and there was information provided. I thank everyone for that.

I visited AZ this past January and I loved it! In fact, I plan on visiting again in July to see how well I can handle the heat. I am hoping to move to AZ from NY at the end of this year. I have friends who live in the Gilbert and Queen Creek area and I am hoping to move somewhere around here, at least in the beginning.

Does anyone have any good experiences with realtors dealing in rental homes? I have been searching online and there seem to be a plethora of agencies to choose from, but I am hoping to gain some insight here on some of the better ones (hopefully ones who deal with pet friendly homes). Anyone willing to share their experiences, good or bad?

Also, has anyone tried sending out their resume from a different state? I won't move unless I definitely have a job available for me, but I'm afraid my NY address will automatically cause companies to rule me out as a candidate. Any insight on this process would be much appreciated!

I know I may be starting the moving process super early, but I'd rather be somewhat prepared when the time finally comes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM

9,529 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutoelph View Post
I know there are a lot of posts about people potentially moving to AZ. I've read a lot of them and there was information provided. I thank everyone for that.

I visited AZ this past January and I loved it! In fact, I plan on visiting again in July to see how well I can handle the heat. I am hoping to move to AZ from NY at the end of this year. I have friends who live in the Gilbert and Queen Creek area and I am hoping to move somewhere around here, at least in the beginning.

Does anyone have any good experiences with realtors dealing in rental homes? I have been searching online and there seem to be a plethora of agencies to choose from, but I am hoping to gain some insight here on some of the better ones (hopefully ones who deal with pet friendly homes). Anyone willing to share their experiences, good or bad?

Also, has anyone tried sending out their resume from a different state? I won't move unless I definitely have a job available for me, but I'm afraid my NY address will automatically cause companies to rule me out as a candidate. Any insight on this process would be much appreciated!

I know I may be starting the moving process super early, but I'd rather be somewhat prepared when the time finally comes.

Thanks!
I hope you will like it here. I came out here in Sept on a trial basis. I took a 1 year lease on a 2 bed condo in the Surprise area. Actually its in one of the many retirement communities out here. I contacted a Real Estate Company, that was listed on the sign of a rental property. In fact I was surprised at the high volume of rentals that were available.

I pay $750 a month and the total move in cost between the rent, and the deposits totaled $2200. That was just the Real Estate costs for the one year lease. It had nothing to do with utilities, cable, internet, water or anything else. I am finding utilities and water very expensive here. Also get your utilities company where your at now. To fax a copy of your credit/payents from them, to your new electric co out here. Or you stand a big chance of a very high deposit to turn your electricity on out here. If you have good credit there is no deposit. At least I didn't have to pay one with my letter of good credit. I found overall cost were a lot more than I would expect for this area. I'm not talking vibrant atmosphere here. Its quite away from Phoenix.

There was also an extensive backround check which took 3 days, and although I understand it has to be done. I found renting here was a very time consuming experience. They seemed very suspicious and overly nosy. Then it seemed they just wanted their money fast and be gone. Very strange experience. It could be where I am living I don't know, as I have no reference point for renting in Arizona before this experience. So keep that in mind I am renting in a very large retirement community. It may be an entirely different experience for a younger person in an apt complex or house. I think in complexes they offer move in specials, and there are probably leasing offices rather than real estate agents.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find a nice rental and location for yourself.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the info Jimrob1! I appreciate the heads up on the strange experience you had when initially renting.

Its a bit disconcerting that utilizes are expensive. =\

Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,826 times
We moved here from PA last June. We also decided to rent at first, and went through a realtor. We were only interested in single family homes. We did find a good number of houses to choose from, but also found the best ones get snapped up really fast. From what I understand that trend continues and may have gotten worse (from the potential renter's standpoint). I'm fortunate in that I transferred from Philly to Scottsdale so I already had a job and we were able to come out for a week on a house hunting trip. We saw a lot of houses in that week, and eventually we found our house when we moved fast on one that came on the MLS - we went to see it the same day and made an offer the same day. We also were subject to a background check but it only took about a day.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 AM

10 posts, read 18,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
We moved here from PA last June. We also decided to rent at first, and went through a realtor. We were only interested in single family homes. We did find a good number of houses to choose from, but also found the best ones get snapped up really fast. From what I understand that trend continues and may have gotten worse (from the potential renter's standpoint). I'm fortunate in that I transferred from Philly to Scottsdale so I already had a job and we were able to come out for a week on a house hunting trip. We saw a lot of houses in that week, and eventually we found our house when we moved fast on one that came on the MLS - we went to see it the same day and made an offer the same day. We also were subject to a background check but it only took about a day.

Just curious, were you asked to apply for a loan to see the homes? I had "signed up" with 3 realtors so that I can look at available homes from my current state. When I got to AZ and called to set up an appt to house hunt in real life, she told me that I needed to apply for a loan. Excuse me? Here in Michigan you can house hunt until your heart gets tired and all you need is to tell the realtor which ones you want to see. She basically told me that she doesn't have time for me if I'm not serious-because the homes are going "so fast". Needless to say, I deleted her from my list. I will not be bullied. I've decided to rent and preferrably from a private home owner.

I am still looking for a private rental in the Laveen area (3-4br, 2b, ranch), so if anyone is reading-inbox me please!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,602 times
Just curious, were you asked to apply for a loan to see the homes? I had "signed up" with 3 realtors so that I can look at available homes from my current state. When I got to AZ and called to set up an appt to house hunt in real life, she told me that I needed to apply for a loan. Excuse me? Here in Michigan you can house hunt until your heart gets tired and all you need is to tell the realtor which ones you want to see. She basically told me that she doesn't have time for me if I'm not serious-because the homes are going "so fast". Needless to say, I deleted her from my list. I will not be bullied. I've decided to rent and preferrably from a private home owner

I have the impression the poster above this quote was looking for a rental, not a purchase. In that case, it would be unlikely a real estate agent would tell a person they would need to apply for a loan. However, if a person is looking to BUY, they would definitely need to get qualified for a loan prior to doing a house search. If they do not, in this fast market, they will not only be rejected offer after offer, but they will be wasting their, and their agent's time. The agent is not bullying a buyer in this case - they are attempting to prepare them for a successful purchase. Maybe in your state agents like wasting their time showing unapproved buyers around, but that's not the case in AZ. Don't waste your, the agent's, and the sellers' time if you're just window shopping.

If you rent from a private home owner you are taking your chances. For starters you don't have the protection of an agent to oversee your lease agreement, making sure it conforms with state laws. Next, the property owner might not have a clue what state laws are, and you might not either - and there is the strong possibility of an unpleasant lawsuit. Not saying that can't happen with some rental agents and property managers - but it decreases the risk on all sides.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:33 AM

6 posts, read 12,322 times
One word reinforced: do NOT show up cold in any resort or tourist area during summer unless you're gung ho about camping out for the duration of your stay. In your car. Hotels almost always book solid for high traffic tourist spots. Arizona is the tourist capital of the world :P Secure advanced reservations.

Seriously.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholeT View Post
One word reinforced: do NOT show up cold in any resort or tourist area during summer unless you're gung ho about camping out for the duration of your stay. In your car. Hotels almost always book solid for high traffic tourist spots. Arizona is the tourist capital of the world :P Secure advanced reservations.

Seriously.
That depends on WHERE in Arizona you are talking about. In northern Arizona that's likely good advice, but in southern Arizona, summer is the SLOW season with few crowds and lots of vacancies and lower prices. Winter is the big tourist season down here (in southern Arizona). Right now the "snowbirds" are heading home and the area is emptying out. In another month many places will seem pretty much deserted.

Ken

Old 04-11-2013, 08:36 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,398 times
Well, the OP did drop in a few days ago, but that was before the Realtor posted in this thread. If he/she looks at this thread again, I'll just say that camping out in AZ during the summer isn't all bad. . . . . .

Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 AM

Thank you for those who have responded. The move is still a work in progress, but I think I am reaching my goal. =)

I do have the help of a realtor mow and I am looking at rental houses. Now the biggest step is trying to apply for a job out of state. That is my biggest worry. Second worry is finding the best and most economical way for me to move my stuff from NY to AZ.

I hope to be there by the end of September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona