U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2007, 10:53 AM

9 posts, read 24,202 times

Advertisements

My husband is possibly being relocated to Mesa, Arizona in the spring/summer of '08. What areas would be good to look at for housing? Our housing budget is 230k-270k. We have checked a few real estate sites and Queen Creek housing seems great (more house for less money) but I know there is usually a reason for that. What areas have great schools? That is probably my first concern in moving to an area. I have an 8 and an 11 year old. We have moved alot in the past but never this far west and we plan to visit before the move. I just want to get an idea of which areas we should look at while we are there for the visit. I have heard that some areas have a lot of Mormom residents and I have no problem with that but I don't want to be an outsider either. I live in the Louisville, KY area now and it can be tricky finding friends if you aren't Catholic or if you didn't attend one of the private Catholic high schools here (sort of cliquish here). We aren't religious and are libertarian so if any areas have similiar people near Mesa with great schools I would be ready to go now. Alot of people mention the climate and bugs but I lived in Florida for awhile and I don't think that will be an issue for us. Pest control and AC go a long way for that I think. Any help would be appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 03:41 PM

343 posts, read 48,972 times
Most areas east of Gilbert Road and north of Southern are going to fit what you're looking for. East Mesa is newer and close to freeways. You'll find something nice and it also depends how far you want to drive.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:10 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,214,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SychoSuki View Post
My husband is possibly being relocated to Mesa, Arizona in the spring/summer of '08. What areas would be good to look at for housing? Our housing budget is 230k-270k. We have checked a few real estate sites and Queen Creek housing seems great (more house for less money) but I know there is usually a reason for that. What areas have great schools? That is probably my first concern in moving to an area. I have an 8 and an 11 year old. We have moved alot in the past but never this far west and we plan to visit before the move. I just want to get an idea of which areas we should look at while we are there for the visit. I have heard that some areas have a lot of Mormom residents and I have no problem with that but I don't want to be an outsider either. I live in the Louisville, KY area now and it can be tricky finding friends if you aren't Catholic or if you didn't attend one of the private Catholic high schools here (sort of cliquish here). We aren't religious and are libertarian so if any areas have similiar people near Mesa with great schools I would be ready to go now. Alot of people mention the climate and bugs but I lived in Florida for awhile and I don't think that will be an issue for us. Pest control and AC go a long way for that I think. Any help would be appreciated

Gilbert and areas of Mesa have a high percentage of Mormons and they can be cliquish but it's like anywhere else, people are people. We are not Mormon but my sons best friends are and they have been friends for years.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:14 PM

We have been looking for housing in Queen Creek, Gilbert, Chandler, and Mesa. It isn't a done deal yet but we are about 85% sure that it will happen. We have been looking at pictures of Arizona and we think it is beautiful there. Very excited about moving. This is the first time we have lived somewhere that you don't have to worry about mowing a bunch of grass (have over an acre here and it's not level so you have to use a push mower :P). Thanks alot for the info

Old 10-31-2007, 01:25 AM

25,085 posts, read 8,741,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SychoSuki View Post
U know just because u work in Mesa does not mean u have to live there. All of Mesa is dominated by Mormon influence and it is a different feel if u r not an LDS member or willing to convert, u r an outsider. The government, and schools are not beyond that influence either. I think a libitarian would be an outsider. I think the Mormon community would be welcoming...maybe...but it is certainly a different environminet as compared to Tempe, Phoenx, and Chandler. Mesa is not my favorite city, but it is not with a one or two redeeming qualities. The Dobson Ranch area is pretty nice and I think the school are a little better than average. Val Vista Lakes area is really nice. As a gerneral rule of thumb I would stay away from Stapley and Broadway, east and west of that area for about 5 mi. From Baseline Lindsay traveling east or south there are some nice areas. Typically the further south the nicer. North on Gilbert around McKellips, Brown and Val Vista, and Superstion Springs Mall areas are nice. Stapely Jr. High attendance area for the most part is pretty nice. U can contact Mesa Unified School District to find out exactly where there attendance area is and the location of the nearest elementary school. I really do not care for the Queen Creek area. It is too far out, traffic is an issue, driving at night can be a problem because lighting is very poor in some areas, I don't know anything about the schools in that area. Before I moved to queen creek I would move to first south Tempe of Chandler becaused I really like the Kyrene School District, there is more of a mix of people and the area overall is more centrally located. I like Gilbert better than I do Mesa. It may be worth looking at. I would advise u to check with local Police Dept. to get crime stats. I think there is a web site to find out where sex offfenders live. This may be an issue in some parts of Mesa. Good luck in your search.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM

We have researched Mesa and didn't think we would like it. I actually have a friend at work who used to live in Phoenix and said that she didn't think we would actually like Mesa. Thanks for the info and we are going to try to visit a few different areas early next year to see what we like.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,006 times
We moved to Queen Creek in December of 2007 and LOVE it. There is tremendous growth here that some of the town folk don't care for. My parents moved from Mesa to Queen Creek in 1989 when there was nothing but farmland as far as the eyes could see and I thought they were nuts!! Now I am amazed at how much Queen Creek has changed. There are plenty of houses to purchase or rent. We live in the Villages at Queen Creek and find both the LDS and non-LDS neighbors caring, helpful, and friendly. There are several Queen Creek websites that you could surf. There is 2 new huge strip malls with Target and Walmart as the biggest stores in each. My parents think that Queen Creek is turning into a "mall town" but my husband and I being in our 30's love all the new stores being 10 minutes away instead of a 20 to 30 minute drive into Mesa, Gilbert, or Chandler. The schools are close with bus stops on almost every corner of almost all subdivisions. We may not see all of the things long time residents do and may still be wearing rose colored glasses but we LOVE Queen Creek. My parents have lived here for almost 20 years and they love it also!!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
Most areas east of Gilbert Road and north of Southern are going to fit what you're looking for. East Mesa is newer and close to freeways. You'll find something nice and it also depends how far you want to drive.
I definitely about east of Gilbert Road and north of Southern!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona