Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM

57 posts, read 113,639 times

Advertisements

I know there was recently a thread about this, but my circumstances are pretty different than those of the other thread.
I'm still in college, so I'm not making a choice immediately, but I will be before too long.
I'm trying to decide between the two states. I love them both.
I'm from North Central Florida, which is totally different than the urban/crowded florida south of I-4. I love it because:
-the scenery. big oak trees, lots of green, lots of water, rivers, springs, ocean
-the fishing
-the diving
-southern feel/culture
-interesting state with lots of history and day-trips
-fairly close to mountains of north GA
-thunderstorms
-hunting-where else can you hunt deer, turkey, hogs, gators, and quail?

Florida seems crowded, but once you get out on the water or in the woods you could go days without seeing people if you pick your spots right.

Why I like Arizona:
-generations of family history/roots. I am the first person in my family born outside of Arizona since the early 1800's. I have ties to most of the prominent families in northern arizona.
-the hunting-premium units for elk and mule deer, and you don't get that kind of big game in the South.
-open spaces. Even though N FL is nowhere like urban miami, Florida still has too many people.
-hiking/backpacking. last summer I went with my family and did Havasupai, and loved it.
-Mormons. I am LDS, and being in a place with so many Mormons would be cool.

I am fairly conservative, gun-owning, outdoorsy, etc. I have spent every summer of my life in AZ, so I know the state.

so, I would love to hear your opinions on which place you think would be right for me, or even which state you like better. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,456,808 times
sounds like you would love Arizona. Its got everything your looking for. Im quite similar to you and I love it here in AZ

Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 PM

329 posts, read 699,659 times
Exactly what part of Arizona are you looking at? Because calling Florida overcrowded if you're looking in the Phoenix area is just silly.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
sounds like you would love Arizona. Its got everything your looking for. Im quite similar to you and I love it here in AZ
that's good to hear. Do you hunt? if you do, how often do you actually get a tag?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
Exactly what part of Arizona are you looking at? Because calling Florida overcrowded if you're looking in the Phoenix area is just silly.
that's a long way out in the future. Ideally, if for example I worked from home, I would shoot for somewhere around the White Mountains up to coconino Co or even down to the Gila River Valley. Pretty much anywhere outside the valley. That said, I have to deal with economic realities, and I would be ok with living in an outer suburb of the valley (somewhat rural, open fields every now and then) within a quick drive of the stuff I like to do.

Last edited by A-bolt; 04-01-2013 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM

I like hiking fishing anything outdoors. I have not hunted yet but hope to do so in the future. Others here might know more about tags

Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
I like hiking fishing anything outdoors. I have not hunted yet but hope to do so in the future. Others here might know more about tags
Even better, can you tell me about the fishing? coming from FL that is a major concern. What parts of the state do you fish?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 PM

Depends on what kind of fishing. You like fly fishing mountains here have hundreds of creeks and lakes loaded with trout. Mogollan Rim and White Mountains especially. Bass fishing can just about be found anywhere even in the valley.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:47 AM

17,760 posts, read 13,651,934 times
I've lived in both places.

North Florida- Gainesville/Tallahassee

Arizona- Scottsdale/Tucson/Willcox

I suppose it would boil down to me as to whether you like the water or the mountains the best. Secondly, the dry heat vs the humidity and the fact that in Arizona you can escape the heat pretty much any time you want vs. cooling off in the water in Florida.

Fishing wise, in Arizona you are going to have to probably travel to fish, unlike Florida where you can pretty much fish off of your back porch. However, if you are are willing to travel to the fishing spots in Arizona they are spectacular.

One problem with Arizona is that there aren't that many options as far as places to live and find work outside of the metro areas. So you are more than likely to end up having to live in Phoenix or Tucson areas. Both are pretty crowded.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM

those are good points, it's really a toss-up. I guess I'd be ok with living in a metro area as long as it was suburban leaning towards rural, which there seems to be enough of. Do people take pretty frequent weekend trips to get out in the sticks? I know that that's a pretty broad generalization, but I imagine there's all kinds of camping and outdoor stuff within a couple hours of the metro areas (I know the white mountains are what, 2-3 hours away from phoenix?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona