Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:21 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'd call it "commutable" to Mesa or perhaps south Scottsdale, or Gilbert. Phoenix? No.
Agreed Observer on East Valley being the limit unless someone in Superior works overnight nontraditional hours.

Here's the thing with sprawl that I've argued with NYers who bash our area for "sprawl." Sprawl is irrelevant if you live close to your job. The OP doesn't want an urban setting which throws a monkey wrench in cheap COL while being commutable to the largest job market in AZ.

If the OP works remotely, then he/she can choose any community outside of the PHX or Tucson areas. However, it is hard to penetrate a rural area even if you have a specific skill set if self employed. Locals in small towns are loyal to who they know and are leery to fork over money to The New Kid in Town unless it's an original or unique service they offer.

I sense the OP is on a budget and probably not self employed or living on a trust fund. Apache Junction is doable for having amenities while having some "smalltown" vibe to it.

If the OP finds work in the West Valley, consider Gila Bend and shoot up Rte 85. Gila Bend is pretty dumpy and lacks the beautiful SW scenery and vibe of Superior but it's dirt cheap.

Last edited by magnum0417; 04-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post

If the OP finds work in the West Valley, consider Gila Bend and shoot up Rte 85. Gila Bend is pretty dumpy TRUE and lacks the beautiful SW scenery NOT SO TRUEand vibe of Superior but it's dirt cheap.
There is very nice desert and dense cactus growth east of Gila Bend, south and west is a little dry, but hey, it is the desert. I kind a like cruising I 8, very quiet and relaxed driving.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Phoenix is Phoenix. Surprise and Gilbert are just suburbs of Phoenix. None of those cities are very different from each other. Probably the poster child for sprawl.

Tucson is at about a million people, more scenic than Phoenix, a little bit more unique. Still quite a bit of sprawl.

Check out AZ's small towns. Fantastic places, but the cost of living can get pretty expensive compared to the Phoenix and Tucson areas. Cottonwood/Clarkdale might be a good starting point.
Just for the record, there are not a million people in Tucson. About six years ago, Pima County (which is the size of the entire state of Connecticut) edged toward one million, but since then the population has decreased. The population of the city of Tucson is more like a quarter of a million, with the other three-quarters spread all over the gigantic county. So population doesn't seem dense anywhere.

Many of Pima County's outer areas might fit the OP's bill. Close enough to Tucson to fill any need for urbanity but still many exquisite vistas, mountains, state and national parks, and property values that are finally sneaking up again. Totally depends what personal interests are. Hiking? Cycling? Golf? Tennis? Professional sports (if so, stick to greater Phoenix)? Horses? Skiing (Mt. Lemmon very close to Tucson)? Astronomy? History? Art? Native American culture? Proximity to a university? Do you need some cold weather?

If you have any serious interests or hobbies you think will be lifelong, that might be a major factor in deciding, if employment is not the major issue it is for most people. There is beautiful scenery everywhere in the state. And this is one of the few states I've resided where living in a city metro is cheaper than living in the country.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Well you all have given me some excellent starting points
As for where I'll be working-- primarily for myself, but also in the health & wellness field.
I've got my work cut out for me, with all these new towns I'm going to check out.
Thanks for all the info

Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Well you all have given me some excellent starting points
As for where I'll be working-- primarily for myself, but also in the health & wellness field.
I've got my work cut out for me, with all these new towns I'm going to check out.
Thanks for all the info
Phoenix blows the rest away for medical opportunities. Banner and Mayo Clinic are the best in the state hands down. Sounds like you'll be making reasonable income which will give you many options in and around The Valley. I love Tucson's scenery but the job opportunities and wages are way worse than PHX.

Let me emphasize SPRAWL again to you. It's ONLY AN ISSUE if you mistakenly work far from where you live. I live in Tempe and work in Scottsdale. It's 15 minutes or so each way. Doesn't matter if you live in Tempe or in Rio Rico,AZ and work in Nogales,AZ. It's 15 minutes and the rest doesn't matter. The different communities surrounding PHX have plenty of amenities to meet your shopping needs. You don't need to travel to Glendale when you live in Tempe. Best of luck !

Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Just for the record, there are not a million people in Tucson. About six years ago, Pima County (which is the size of the entire state of Connecticut) edged toward one million, but since then the population has decreased. The population of the city of Tucson is more like a quarter of a million, with the other three-quarters spread all over the gigantic county. So population doesn't seem dense anywhere.
Um, no. The population of the City of Tucson, ITSELF, was at 525,796 in 2011. For the Tucson urban area (Tucson and its suburbs), the population was 843,168 in 2011. Pima County is at 989,569.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times
I would also suggest looking at Tubac which is about 40 miles south of Tucson. I have been doing research for my own move and this looks like a nice small town in a beautiful area, but not too far from civilization.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM

32 posts, read 124,709 times
Scottsdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona