Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:49 AM

154 posts, read 220,180 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm currently live in Alabama and Arizona will be one of my consideration on relocation.

What is culture difference between two states? I know Arizona is more liberal than Alabama but more conservative than California. I know that Arizona is very gun friendly, more friendlier than Alabama's gun law. I'm sure that LGBT communities are better in Arizona too.

I'm not very urban person - more suburban and small urban - that means I will love Flagstaff. I need area with good public transportation - I know Flagstaff is good but what about Phoenix or Tucson?

For my political view - I'm socially liberal - especially on LGBT rights but fairly moderate to conservative on money issue - I believe in personal responsibility (people should take care of themselves instead of government) and low taxes. I have zero interest on illegal drugs and neutral on abortion issue.

Pardon me for my grammar because English wasn't my first language, so American Sign Language is my first language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 12:20 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf150 View Post
Hello, I'm currently live in Alabama and Arizona will be one of my consideration on relocation.

What is culture difference between two states? I know Arizona is more liberal than Alabama but more conservative than California. I know that Arizona is very gun friendly, more friendlier than Alabama's gun law. I'm sure that LGBT communities are better in Arizona too.

I'm not very urban person - more suburban and small urban - that means I will love Flagstaff. I need area with good public transportation - I know Flagstaff is good but what about Phoenix or Tucson?

For my political view - I'm socially liberal - especially on LGBT rights but fairly moderate to conservative on money issue - I believe in personal responsibility (people should take care of themselves instead of government) and low taxes. I have zero interest on illegal drugs and neutral on abortion issue.

Pardon me for my grammar because English wasn't my first language, so American Sign Language is my first language.
I'd look at Prescott too; it's warmer than Flagstaff but still has "winter". You might find what you want in Phoenix: it has a big "Gay" scene.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:42 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Let's start with the similarities, BlackF . . . they both begin with the letter "A" and that's about it.

First, I would suggest you decide on your desired climate as Arizona has plenty of variations. Flagstaff (at about 7k feet elevation) has four distinct seasons including a very COLD and SNOWY Winter.

Phoenix (at about 500 feet) has brutal Summers but fairly mild Winters.

Tucson (at a little under 3k feet) is somewhat in the middle, not quite as HOT during the Summer months but also a little COLDER during the Winter.

Relative Humidity and Rainfall between the two states are so far apart they are tough to compare. This time of year Tucson's average humidity runs in the low teens all the way down into the mid single digits with an annual rainfall of about 6 to 9 inches.

I hope this helps a little.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:27 PM

62 posts, read 171,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Let's start with the similarities, BlackF . . . they both begin with the letter "A" and that's about it.

First, I would suggest you decide on your desired climate as Arizona has plenty of variations. Flagstaff (at about 7k feet elevation) has four distinct seasons including a very COLD and SNOWY Winter.

Phoenix (at about 500 feet) has brutal Summers but fairly mild Winters.

Tucson (at a little under 3k feet) is somewhat in the middle, not quite as HOT during the Summer months but also a little COLDER during the Winter.

Relative Humidity and Rainfall between the two states are so far apart they are tough to compare. This time of year Tucson's average humidity runs in the low teens all the way down into the mid single digits with an annual rainfall of about 6 to 9 inches.

I hope this helps a little.
Phoenix is well over 1,000 feet and parts of the valley are over 3,000 feet. My home in Ahwatukee (Phoenix) is at over 2,800 feet. Phoenix has a lot of elevation change.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:49 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin out of reno View Post
Phoenix is well over 1,000 feet and parts of the valley are over 3,000 feet. My home in Ahwatukee (Phoenix) is at over 2,800 feet. Phoenix has a lot of elevation change.
Oooooooooops, I was only guessing at Phoenix and had not idea you guys were that high.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:35 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Oooooooooops, I was only guessing at Phoenix and had not idea you guys were that high.
Since the passing of the medical MJ law.....lots of folks in Phoenix are pretty.high....

Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM

6 posts, read 12,259 times
Quote:
Your home in Ahwatukee is at a higher elevation than Camelback Mountain? Or is 2,800 feet a typo?

Old 05-19-2013, 05:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
2800 feet? In Ahwatukee? The official elevation of Phoenix is, IIRC, about 1100 feet. If you think there's an 1800 foot climb between that elevation, at the airport, and Ahwatukee, you have a defective measuring device.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Ahwatukee, AZ
Ahwatukee is a Populated Place in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has an elevation of 391 meters, or 1,283 feet. Ahwatukee, Arizona - Map and Latitude Longitude GPS Coordinates

Elevations of Cities in Maricopa County:
What is the Elevation of Phoenix Arizona - How High is Phoenix? - Scottsdale Elevation

Old 05-19-2013, 11:45 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
2800 feet? In Ahwatukee? The official elevation of Phoenix is, IIRC, about 1100 feet. If you think there's an 1800 foot climb between that elevation, at the airport, and Ahwatukee, you have a defective measuring device.
Right! Even if the house was on top of south mountain it still wouldn't be 2800 ft. All that dust coming from the Indian Rez must be fooling with the Ahwatukee residents' heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona