Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:12 PM

7,298 posts, read 12,205,923 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, is there any particular reason why there are only three public four year universities in Arizona - ASU, UA, and NAU?

For comparison, New Mexico has several public four-year universities but has a much lower population than Arizona. Why would Arizona only have three?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,684,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, is there any particular reason why there are only three public four year universities in Arizona - ASU, UA, and NAU?

For comparison, New Mexico has several public four-year universities but has a much lower population than Arizona. Why would Arizona only have three?
Grand Canyon University is #4 and believe is on its way to Division 1 sports in addition to NAU, ASU and U of A.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Grand Canyon University is #4 and believe is on its way to Division 1 sports in addition to NAU, ASU and U of A.
GCU is a private for-profit university. This thread is about public universities.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,980,173 times
I think a lot of it has to do with how centralized our population tends to be as a whole - New Mexico, in comparison, has a population that is spread much more evenly throughout the state. As such they have five public universities, most of which are quite small. They have UNM (north), NMSU (south), Eastern NM and Western NM, along with NM Tech in Socorro. They've covered themselves, geographically. And that's what they need.

If you look at Arizona, we have our major population centers covered. I don't think we could support another public university - there's no niche or population base for one. The only possible addition would be a tech school - but ASU has already cornered that market with their poly campus.

As far as lesser population centers, our universities have risen to meet the needs of those communities. NAU has been the most pro-active in this, and has satellite campuses all over the state. Then there are the joint initiatives, like the biomedical campus in downtown Phoenix which all three universities are participating in. They identified a niche, and they're working together to meet our needs.

I don't think we need another public university. Our needs are met. We need to improve upon what we have.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,659,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post

We have plenty of higher education schools. We don't need more public puke in Arizona,

Grand Canyon University
Thunderbird School of global management
Phoenix School of Law
and on and on and on.

I would love it if ASU polytech would separate itself from the party school ASU. Polytech could be turned into a private Phoenix School of Technology or Arizona Tech. like the other schools listed. Notice how I didn't list University of Phoenix? troll face -->

Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW
I think a lot of it has to do with how centralized our population tends to be as a whole - New Mexico, in comparison, has a population that is spread much more evenly throughout the state. As such they have five public universities, most of which are quite small. They have UNM (north), NMSU (south), Eastern NM and Western NM, along with NM Tech in Socorro. They've covered themselves, geographically. And that's what they need.
Don't forget about New Mexico Highlands University in Las Vegas, which is larger than WNMU and NMT in terms of number of students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post

I would love it if ASU polytech would separate itself from the party school ASU. Polytech could be turned into a private Phoenix School of Technology or Arizona Tech. like the other schools listed. Notice how I didn't list University of Phoenix? troll face -->
I'm an ASU Polytechnic student myself, and I would HATE to see the Polytechinc campus split from ASU, since it would kill the value of my future degree in Software Engineering. Without an ASU branding, my degree would be worthless.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 PM

614 posts, read 1,369,108 times
Cool There are at least six state universities in New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
In addition to the five universities mentioned above, there is also New Mexico Highlands University in Las Vegas.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,961,551 times
3 public universities is plenty. Damn near all of Arizona's population lives in either the Phoenix metro area or Tucson area which are both served by great universities. Flagstaff being the hub of Northern Arizona and being centrally located in Coconino County is a perfect place for NAU and attracts a lot of students who live in that part of the state. We don't need another public university in Yuma or Kingman because the population doesn't call for it (Well if I lived in Yuma and college age I would go to college in San Diego anyway). You get the point though....

Old 05-22-2013, 12:50 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,611,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
We have plenty of higher education schools. We don't need more public puke in Arizona,

Grand Canyon University
Thunderbird School of global management
Phoenix School of Law
and on and on and on.

Public puke? It's too bad nobody outside of Arizona has heard of these other "universities" you listed. Thunderbird School of Global Management? Phoenix School of Law? Must be in the same league as the South Harmon Institute of Technology. Arizona's lack of established institutions for higher education (public or private) speaks volumes about how little the state values education. Alaska has the same number of four year public institutions (3) as Arizona and it has about 1/9th of the population.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:04 AM

2,761 posts, read 5,680,227 times
ASU is the largest public university in the country. Just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona