Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:20 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times

Advertisements

My guess, about 35 pounds. Bought them right where 60 hits the I 10 in Beaumont, the grove is behind the fruitstand.
Took 3 boxes to the other plant in Indiana, they couldn't believe it. 5 pounds dry oranges at the supermarket, about 4 bucks.....

Seen a big orange grove in Blythe that was going to waste. Do they replace trees every so many years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 03:43 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Thanks for the heads up on Beaumont. That's closer than Riverside for me

If properly cared for, an orange tree can produce for years and years. Decades!
They probably couldn't afford the water. Orange trees are water hogs.
Wait - wouldn't a grove in Blythe use river water??

Or got that disease caused by a bug and couldn't be cured. Sigh.
(What the famous border ag stops between CA and AZ are supposed to stop. Uh huh.)

Old 11-24-2014, 06:32 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
...the grove is behind the fruitstand...
That's why groceries are cheaper in CA. They have a lot of farms in the central part of the state.

I can remember when Phoenix used to have a lot of citrus fields surrounding the northern part of the valley. Riding my bicycle by the fields in the late 60s there were signs warning of a $500 fine for stealing oranges. Now that's all suburbs.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:48 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times
True, and the other reason is, in CA operate like 7 or 9 different grocery chains, most places one or two.

My wife always told me when she was about 7 years old she remembers around Indian school and 59 ave, that was Phoenix, behind the house it was all orange grove. Suprise was one large orange grove.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:28 PM

43 posts, read 105,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
I'm curious. Other than your crappy weather back wherever it is you are, what's the attraction?
Most come from very liberal anti gun states . They get the state so bad they don't even want to live in it. Then they move to a state like Arizona that is 100% opposite from the state that they left. Funny how the main thing they want to do in Arizona is make it like the state that they don't want to live in anymore

Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
I don't understand why those who live in Arizona
that know everything to complain about can tell others not to move there.

But don't tell us about how their going to leave themselves.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:01 AM

659 posts, read 940,658 times
I can't wait to get out of AZ!
I hate how horrible it became after 2005, it all went down the crapper.

When there's more loan places and liquor stores than legit businesses, you know the state is doing horribly. Plus we're #42 when it comes to unemployment.... almost dead last. Texas and Washington has better economies. All of my professors in college recommend to move out of AZ or even out of the country (only two reccommended that) simply because AZ is a call center mecha, it's only good for $9 an hour customer service/call center jobs.

This is why a lot of young people are moving out of the state for a better economy. For anyone wondering, I'm mostly talking about Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, and Tucson. Call center, call center, call center. Last month, only 32 accounting jobs were posted, of the 32 jobs, only 5 of them were entry level in the cities I listed above. On the flip side 1,437 call center/customer service jobs were posted looking for openings. This is not good!

I bet you anything, TX has more openings. Checking out Austin right now, there's 1,154 Customer Service/Call Center jobs and 41 entry level accounting clerk jobs with an overall 1,237 (15 in the last 72 hours) accounting jobs.
That my friends, speaks VOLUMES about the state of Arizona's economy overall. But hey -- if you get a job here and you're set, good for you.

You may like this state with all the gangsters and their loud music playing on the roads, their shootings, their backwards government (Jan Brewer and Joe Arpaio), and substandard education, but I don't and I know many millennial don't either.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:29 AM

7 posts, read 10,771 times
Gotta say it ... Tucson offers more in the way of beauty and natural scenery than Phoenix does. While it's a city and offers the cultural attractions of such ...it still manages to retain the distinctive Southwestern charm that Phoenix, with it freeways and walled communities, just does not have.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:06 AM

6 posts, read 36,334 times
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hello everyone it has been a while.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I visit the Cottonwood and Sedona area this past May 2014, as I'm planningto do each year before I relocate to the area, this has been my fourth visit tothe area since 2010.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I found a place in Cottonwood near Sedona the rent is not bad at all, I alsomeet with some of the local Artist and found out that there are no Mosaic shopsin the area, they said that a Mosaic shop will be welcome, I'm looking forwardto moving, but I have to wait for my full retirement, I can't wait to relocate,I still keep in contact with the people I meet during my vacation, they were so,so friendly, I was worry that since I'm of mix race, (Latina black) I would notbe accepted, but everyone was so friendly, they did not seem to care what myrace is, they just welcome me and they keep in contact with me asking when willI relocate, if it was up to me I would relocate ASAP, but I have to wait untilI reach my full retirement years 66 [/SIZE][SIZE=3]in order to relocate.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] As most Artist know selling arts does not bring asteady income, I also plan to teach the mosaic art to whomever wants to learn.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I wish you all Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 12-03-2014, 11:47 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
That's why groceries are cheaper in CA. They have a lot of farms in the central part of the state.

I can remember when Phoenix used to have a lot of citrus fields surrounding the northern part of the valley. Riding my bicycle by the fields in the late 60s there were signs warning of a $500 fine for stealing oranges. Now that's all suburbs.
Where did you get that groceries are cheaper in California? They most certainly are not. I'm from Los Angeles and moved to Phoenix. I still go back there frequently to visit my parents and brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
True, and the other reason is, in CA operate like 7 or 9 different grocery chains, most places one or two.

My wife always told me when she was about 7 years old she remembers around Indian school and 59 ave, that was Phoenix, behind the house it was all orange grove. Suprise was one large orange grove.
Fry's, Safeway, Bashas, Albertsons, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Food City, and Walmart. That is 9 chains right there so what was your point? Furthermore, two of those chains (Bashas and Sprouts) are headquartered here. And I didn't include other stores like Trader Joes and AJ's Fine Foods (Basha's). We have plenty of options here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I can't wait to get out of AZ!
I hate how horrible it became after 2005, it all went down the crapper.This is why a lot of young people are moving out of the state for a better economy. For anyone wondering, I'm mostly talking about Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, and Tucson. Call center, call center, call center. Last month, only 32 accounting jobs were posted, of the 32 jobs, only 5 of them were entry level in the cities I listed above. On the flip side 1,437 call center/customer service jobs were posted looking for openings. This is not good!
The reality is there are jobs in Arizona but the local talent doesn't cut it. That is why they have to recruit from out-of-state. That is one of the reasons Google left because they had a difficult time obtaining local talent. Then the local talent complains that there are no jobs here. In reality, there are jobs but the people perusing those ads are not qualified for those jobs. It's the unfortunate truth. And this is one of the best places in the country to start a new business and many QUALIFIED young entrepreneurs are starting companies here and doing well. Regarding your other comments regarding gangs, and crime, umm, you really havent' spent much time in Southern California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
I don't understand why those who live in Arizona
that know everything to complain about can tell others not to move there.

But don't tell us about how their going to leave themselves.
Actions speak louder than words. Words are cheap. Anyone can vent but look at how many of these complainers STILL LIVE IN ARIZONA!!! And look how long they've been complaining on these forums yet still live in Arizona. Some have had to change or adopt different usernames because of the sheer embarrassment of having to explain how they've been posting here for 5 plus years of how they hate it yet are still here. The truth is these critics recognize that other cities are not as rosy as they make them out to be hence the reason they don't move. Many can't afford to move meaning they wouldn't be able to afford the type of lifestyle they envision other cities having. For example, the people who rant about Phoenix would probably experience a worse lifestyle in California because they wouldn't be able to live in the nice areas that afford those amenities in California. This is the real reason they don't move but can't admit it for obvious reasons.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 12-03-2014 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona