Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:39 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,221,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Where did you get that groceries are cheaper in California? They most certainly are not. I'm from Los Angeles and moved to Phoenix. I still go back there frequently to visit my parents and brother.

Fry's, Safeway, Bashas, Albertsons, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Food City, and Walmart. That is 9 chains right there so what was your point? Furthermore, two of those chains (Bashas and Sprouts) are headquartered here. And I didn't include other stores like Trader Joes and AJ's Fine Foods (Basha's). We have plenty of options here.

The reality is there are jobs in Arizona but the local talent doesn't cut it. That is why they have to recruit from out-of-state. That is one of the reasons Google left because they had a difficult time obtaining local talent. Then the local talent complains that there are no jobs here. In reality, there are jobs but the people perusing those ads are not qualified for those jobs. It's the unfortunate truth. And this is one of the best places in the country to start a new business and many QUALIFIED young entrepreneurs are starting companies here and doing well. Regarding your other comments regarding gangs, and crime, umm, you really havent' spent much time in Southern California.

Actions speak louder than words. Words are cheap. Anyone can vent but look at how many of these complainers STILL LIVE IN ARIZONA!!! And look how long they've been complaining on these forums yet still live in Arizona. Some have had to change or adopt different usernames because of the sheer embarrassment of having to explain how they've been posting here for 5 plus years of how they hate it yet are still here. The truth is these critics recognize that other cities are not as rosy as they make them out to be hence the reason they don't move. Many can't afford to move meaning they wouldn't be able to afford the type of lifestyle they envision other cities having. For example, the people who rant about Phoenix would probably experience a worse lifestyle in California because they wouldn't be able to live in the nice areas that afford those amenities in California. This is the real reason they don't move but can't admit it for obvious reasons.
LOL Feel better now.

I was referring to another post comparing the price of groceries in CA to the Midwest. I think specifically IN. I have no doubt groceries aren't any better priced in LA than PHX. But try some fresh produce in Tulare. Then try the same in the Midwest in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 09:01 PM

103 posts, read 124,538 times
I'm moving out of here when my family situation get sorted out. I hate this place with a passion and I've been here a few months. I joked with my mother asking her why she can't spend her last years dying in Pasadena like we talked about. No...I should be near her no matter where she is...only she's in the most worst place in the country. I would have preferred her to be in the wilderness and snow of New England than here. At least there, people are intellectual and can read.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokittykatt View Post
I'm moving out of here when my family situation get sorted out. I hate this place with a passion and I've been here a few months. I joked with my mother asking her why she can't spend her last years dying in Pasadena like we talked about. No...I should be near her no matter where she is...only she's in the most worst place in the country. I would have preferred her to be in the wilderness and snow of New England than here. At least there, people are intellectual and can read.
I think there are more readers and intellectuals here than you think.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:33 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,366 times
most worst ... that just doesn't sound all that intellectual....

Old 12-06-2014, 04:07 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
... I'd beg to differ that Arizona is diverse. I've been in Minneapolis area for 8 months now and it's not unheard for me to feel like a miniority which has never happened in my life elsewhere except maybe NYC or NOLA.
Do you WANT to feel like a minority? Not that matters, it's just a bit unusual. Where did you live in Arizona? I doubt it was Tucson. As I said before, there are white, black, and Latino families in my suburban development. My bank is next door to a Korean church. The man Sears sends to service my appliances is a recent immigrant from Serbia. Since I've been here (eight years), I've met recent immigrants from France, Ireland, Russia, Denmark, Croatia, Greece, Iraq, the Sudan, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, the Philippines, and China. That, of course, doesn't count the many people who have emigrated here from Central American, South American, and Caribbean nations. And please note, I live in a suburb, not anywhere near the university. I would imagine there would be a lot more immigrants around that area. (I've heard tell there are people who read there, too, MsKittyKatt.)

Old 12-09-2014, 11:02 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,903 times
Quote:
I bet you'll miss AZ if you leave. I had a room mate here who absolutely hated AZ. She was from the northeast and everything was about the Northeast being so much better, according to her. She moved back and was miserable. She actually missed AZ. It's not so bad here.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:58 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
Quote:
Heeeyyyy! I'm from New England and I represent that insult! Lol! I honestly don't think you have gotten around enough because I have found PLENTY of intellectuals out here. But then again, you may be blinded by that "Northeast" smugness. I know, I too was blinded by it when I first moved here. I will grant you that the desert is certainly not for everyone, but from one New Englander to another; it's not as bad as you make it out to be, in my opinion. In the meantime, enjoy your time with your mother and cherish every moment. I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:35 AM

72 posts, read 117,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I hate how horrible it became after 2005, it all went down the crapper.
I agree. Too many Californians moved in trying to turn Phoenix into L.A.

Quote:
When there's more loan places and liquor stores than legit businesses, you know the state is doing horribly. Plus we're #42 when it comes to unemployment.... almost dead last. Texas and Washington has better economies. All of my professors in college recommend to move out of AZ or even out of the country (only two reccommended that) simply because AZ is a call center mecha, it's only good for $9 an hour customer service/call center jobs.
As someone already pointed out, it's not AZ that is at fault it is the lack of qualified applicants. It's not just Google either, Apple had a call center here years back that employed about 1,000 people. The shut it down and left the state because of the lack of talent pool.

Alternately, if you don't see a call center job as "legit" then feel free to create a "legit" business. In AZ, unlike other surrounding states you have that freedom. Instead of complaining about the problems create some solutions.

Quote:
backwards government (Jan Brewer and Joe Arpaio),
Now THAT speaks volumes. About you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona