Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:10 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
well come here and prove it. See if you can take 6 month of 100 plus degrees year after year. I used to live in Austin, and with the high humidity, it wasn't as bad as this.
Sounds horrible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
I bounce between Green Valley (south of Tucson) and Cape Cod (summer on the Cape). The last few days, on the Cape, it's been 90 degrees with very high humidity (+80%). When in AZ, when the temperature is in the low 90s, so long as you're not in direct sunlight it's quite comfortable. Big difference.

Now, look, I am not delusional. I wouldn't want to be in heat of over 100 degrees either. Sometimes ya just can't win!!

Rich
Cape Cod at the moment
Green Valley soon enough...

Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
well come here and prove it. See if you can take 6 month of 100 plus degrees year after year. I used to live in Austin, and with the high humidity, it wasn't as bad as this.
6 months of 100 plus year after year is just another of the many exaggerations we see every time the Arizona (well, Phoenix) heat is discussed. That wouldn't even fit this year. I know people get cranky about the heat, but that's a bit much.

It is important, though, that anyone considering moving here come visit for as long as possible in the summer, to get an idea of whether they could adjust to the heat.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:39 AM

50 posts, read 73,894 times
Last year, I left on June 14; and returned on September 13. This year, I left on May 23, and had settlement on my townhouse on May 29. Never again. Here is where I'm staying now for 12.50 per night, with A/C and free wi-fi, and daily maid service:
Attached Thumbnails
Does the heat wave make you want to leave Arizona?-800px-phayao_lake_sunset.jpg  

Old 07-06-2013, 07:12 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
6 months of 100 plus year after year is just another of the many exaggerations we see every time the Arizona (well, Phoenix) heat is discussed. That wouldn't even fit this year. I know people get cranky about the heat, but that's a bit much.

It is important, though, that anyone considering moving here come visit for as long as possible in the summer, to get an idea of whether they could adjust to the heat.
OK, not day after day, but starting in May its 90-100 degrees, possibley even April and at this point, its going to be anywhere between 95 and 115 until Mid October, sometime even until Late October. I remember our 1st halloween here 5 years ago, my son quite early because it was just too hot to wear a mask.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:30 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Sounds horrible!
It can be; however right now it is early morning with temps in the low eighties; I have the windows open with a slight breeze coming in while listening to the birds, the ceiling fans on and the A/C off. VERY nice. Before too long I'll need to close up the house and power up the A/C, but for now it is very enjoyable. I am often up very early or late (depending how you look at it) so I take advantage of those times when the temperatures drop.

Of course, there are many times in summer when it just ain't gonna happen, so you make the most of it when it does.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:11 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I don't live there but most of my family now does. My parents have been in Surprise for over 10 years now. My dad is in his mid 70's and for him he can no longer take the coolness of the coast where I live. The heat has been good for him and his old bones. They even keep the AC set at 80 degrees. I don't have an AC in my home but wish I did when the thermometer reads 80. On my visits to family I have done just fine in the heat but then I don't stay that long.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't live there but most of my family now does. My parents have been in Surprise for over 10 years now. My dad is in his mid 70's and for him he can no longer take the coolness of the coast where I live. The heat has been good for him and his old bones. They even keep the AC set at 80 degrees. I don't have an AC in my home but wish I did when the thermometer reads 80. On my visits to family I have done just fine in the heat but then I don't stay that long.
I like Surpize, yeah its just has hot there as anywhere else, but nice thing about it is its so far west, you don't have to drive thru Phoenix to get to cooler California...just hop on the 10 and before you know it your on your way to the coast.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I've been here since late August and I'm leaving on Friday. Since this was my first year here. I was here as an experiment as to how I would take to the area, a retirement community and the climate. So I rented which was a great idea since none of it is for me. . So I can easily say goodbye. I formed absolutely no connection or affection for the Phoenix area or its climate.

I did find many parts of Arizona beautiful though, but I would not be able to live in those areas. I didn't find the winter nearly as warm as I would have though it to be in Metro Phoenix. I was told this was the coldest winter in years or whatever it was. Then the summer which as far as I'm concerned, starts much earlier here than June 21st has been hot continuously. In fact when my relatives arrived on March 14th it was already 95 degree. I was told this is the hottest summer or June on record. So I don't know. All I know this type of climate interferes with my life, more than a colder climate does. Simply because even in the cold I would be outside more than in this heat and this burning sun here. In fact just how scorching the sun here is, seems to be worse for me than the heat itself.

So for me it was a terrible fit but I wanted to try it out and I don't regret it. I knew it would be very hot here and for a long time, but still I wanted to try it out and I did. You only live once, so try as many new things as you can. Its not for me at all. For those that it is then More Power to Them.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've been here since late August and I'm leaving on Friday. Since this was my first year here. I was here as an experiment as to how I would take to the area, a retirement community and the climate. So I rented which was a great idea since none of it is for me. . So I can easily say goodbye. I formed absolutely no connection or affection for the Phoenix area or its climate.

I did find many parts of Arizona beautiful though, but I would not be able to live in those areas. I didn't find the winter nearly as warm as I would have though it to be in Metro Phoenix. I was told this was the coldest winter in years or whatever it was. Then the summer which as far as I'm concerned, starts much earlier here than June 21st has been hot continuously. In fact when my relatives arrived on March 14th it was already 95 degree. I was told this is the hottest summer or June on record. So I don't know. All I know this type of climate interferes with my life, more than a colder climate does. Simply because even in the cold I would be outside more than in this heat and this burning sun here. In fact just how scorching the sun here is, seems to be worse for me than the heat itself.

So for me it was a terrible fit but I wanted to try it out and I don't regret it. I knew it would be very hot here and for a long time, but still I wanted to try it out and I did. You only live once, so try as many new things as you can. Its not for me at all. For those that it is then More Power to Them.
Thanks for your comment. You didn't rag on phoenix, but you explained how it didn't fit you. If I may ask, what areas are you considering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona