Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, Eastern Washington is VERY different from Western Washington and in fact the Banks Lake area is quite similar to the SouthWest in many ways. Back in the days when our kids were young and money was in short supply we spent many of our summer vacations camping at Steamboat Rock State Park. It was terrific.
I'm hoping to retire and move in the next few years and haven't decided yet where. I'm reading this forum area because I love Arizona, but I think I'll have a look at eastern WA too, maybe eastern OR also, although I suspect wanting to have some compromise reasonably capable city nearby could be a problem.

I'll post in the WA and OR forum sections if I have any questions about that area of the country. Like the OP in this thread should have done.

Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 05:06 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Lovehound -

Eastern Oregon looks rather similar too - though keep in mind that the temps are not nearly the same as in Arizona - particularly the winter temps, which are quite cold.

Ken

Old 05-03-2008, 05:15 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Lovehound -

Eastern Oregon looks rather similar too - though keep in mind that the temps are not nearly the same as in Arizona - particularly the winter temps, which are quite cold.

Ken
Quite cold, Ken? How about DAMN COLD compared to Arizona. ! ! ! !

I've spent some very miserably cold days and nights up there.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Lovehound -

Ken
I'm not so sure cold would be good for me. I sometimes think Los Angeles where I presently live is too cold. On the other hand, I'm very leery of Phoenix being too hot although there's a lot I like about Phoenix.

I'm in a bit of a quandary. Flagstaff, too cold. Prescott, nice but too boring. Sedona, too pricey. Phoenix, nice, BIG, might be able to find a section I'd like if I can find a quiet part, the winters would be nice, but I'm really concerned that the summers would be too hot and I'd be stuck inside with the air conditioning.

I worked in Palm Springs for a year and I imagine the weather is very similar to Phoenix. For a month or two the weather was SHOCKINGLY HOT! It wasn't that bad because I didn't have to live there (stayed in hotel) and the only place that wasn't air conditioned was between my car and someplace, or between someplace and my car -- 3-5 minute walk.

I'm still holding out hope I'll find a place I'll like in AZ but I don't know if I'll find a place that is not too hot, not too cold. Prescott climate would do it but it's too small.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Quite cold, Ken? How about DAMN COLD compared to Arizona. ! ! ! !

I've spent some very miserably cold days and nights up there.
Well, yeah, that's true - but everything is relative. I spent 2 winters in North Dakota where the daytime HIGHS are colder than the overnight LOWS in Eastern Washington (Grand Forks January average high is 15 and the average low is -4).

Now THAT'S cold!!!!!

Seriously though, you are right about Eastern Washington - and that's the VERY reason WE'RE not retiring there/ We LOVE Eastern Washington in the summer, but not in the winter.

Ken

Old 05-03-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm not so sure cold would be good for me. I sometimes think Los Angeles where I presently live is too cold. On the other hand, I'm very leery of Phoenix being too hot although there's a lot I like about Phoenix.

I'm in a bit of a quandary. Flagstaff, too cold. Prescott, nice but too boring. Sedona, too pricey. Phoenix, nice, BIG, might be able to find a section I'd like if I can find a quiet part, the winters would be nice, but I'm really concerned that the summers would be too hot and I'd be stuck inside with the air conditioning.

I worked in Palm Springs for a year and I imagine the weather is very similar to Phoenix. For a month or two the weather was SHOCKINGLY HOT! It wasn't that bad because I didn't have to live there (stayed in hotel) and the only place that wasn't air conditioned was between my car and someplace, or between someplace and my car -- 3-5 minute walk.

I'm still holding out hope I'll find a place I'll like in AZ but I don't know if I'll find a place that is not too hot, not too cold. Prescott climate would do it but it's too small.
My land near Benson has a pretty nice temp range (92 for the average June high, 59 for the average January high) but no town nearby all that large. Sierra Vista has those kind of temps but is no bigger than Prescott.

Higher elevations on Hawaii have very consistant temps but very very expensive and besides, no town at elevation in Hawaii is of any size.

Coastal regions of Southern Cal again have a pretty great temp range but once again are very pricey.

Good luck.

Ken

Old 05-03-2008, 06:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
My land near Benson has a pretty nice temp range (92 for the average June high, 59 for the average January high) but no town nearby all that large. Sierra Vista has those kind of temps but is no bigger than Prescott.

Higher elevations on Hawaii have very consistant temps but very very expensive and besides, no town at elevation in Hawaii is of any size.

Coastal regions of Southern Cal again have a pretty great temp range but once again are very pricey.

Good luck.

Ken
I suspect that Sierra Vista has arguably the best year round weather in Arizona. January highs averaging around 60F------with July highs of 90F and low humidity

Old 05-03-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Only Charlie Sheen can afford coastal SoCal. I'm better looking. Okay, not. Whatever.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:33 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Well what do you know, I JUST moved from Spokane Valley to Phoenix! So far I'm enjoying every minute of it. I can't say I'll never go back, but for me Arizona is where it's at! Beena is right, eastern Washington is not even REMOTELY sunny. Spokane is not an all around bad place to live, but it's definitely not sunny either.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:42 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
An extra 13 days of sunshine are NOT going to make any difference....
Seattle has 71 sunny and 93 partly cloudy. Partly cloudy is a sunny day with a few clouds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona