Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,921 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone....I just found this site this evening after a harrowing trip up to Show Low to look for property.

I'm posting here because I'm someone on this board might have some leads for me.

My husband and I are seeking land in the Show Low / Snowflake / Taylor area.

We're looking for (must have's)

1. Minimum 15 acres - max 80 acres
2. Owner carry or price under $20,000
3. Out to Hay Hollow area is fine - Concho is not fine.
4. NOT under the power lines.

Would like (would like to have)

1. A well
2. Some trees
3. Septic

Power and phone are NOT necessary.

If I've posted out of turn, or this is not the appropriate forum for this type of post - admins please email / DM.

If anyone has any information on parcels that might fit my description, please reply to this post, or DM.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 PM

82 posts, read 370,706 times
Not going to happen in that area. Your going to pay about $7,000 an acre. You may get lucky and get it around $5000 an acre. DH and I have been looking for a few years with no luck, owner carrys are few and far between.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:45 AM

74 posts, read 383,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaspersGal View Post
Hello everyone....I just found this site this evening after a harrowing trip up to Show Low to look for property.

I'm posting here because I'm someone on this board might have some leads for me.

My husband and I are seeking land in the Show Low / Snowflake / Taylor area.

We're looking for (must have's)

1. Minimum 15 acres - max 80 acres
2. Owner carry or price under $20,000
3. Out to Hay Hollow area is fine - Concho is not fine.
4. NOT under the power lines.

Would like (would like to have)

1. A well
2. Some trees
3. Septic

Power and phone are NOT necessary.

If I've posted out of turn, or this is not the appropriate forum for this type of post - admins please email / DM.

If anyone has any information on parcels that might fit my description, please reply to this post, or DM.

Thanks!
You want a well included???? A well could cost $10,000.00 to $20,000.00 alone! A septic tank costs about $3-4,000.00. You probably won't be able to get something like you are asking about. You my want to re-think things.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM

63 posts, read 217,943 times
I'm amazed that people don't do their due diligence before moving or retiring. CALL A LOCAL WELL-DRILLING COMPANY. GET AN ESTIMATE. CALL A REALTOR AND GET LAND PRICES! Sheesh!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,921 times
Apparently I wasn't clear enough in my original post, based on those last two responses.

I stated we were looking for a parcel anywhere between 15 acres and 80 acres. I also indicated that I was prepared to pay cash for anything priced at $20,000 or less OR I needed an owner carrry situation.

Now, while $20,000 cash for an 80 acre parcel is obviously a thing of the past, $20K for a 15 acre parcel with no well or septic works out to be about $1300 per acre. Considering that I'm seeing parcels priced anywhere from $1000 to $2000 an acre in that particular size range via the MLS, I don't think that my numbers are that far off. I also stated that well and septic were "like to haves", not must haves. Additionally, I did not indicate a top price I would be willing to pay in an owner carry situation.

I've been looking for land in this area for the last three years. That search has included intensive research into the price of well drilling, septic installation and alternative power methods. So, in response to normsw's comment, I'm more than familiar with the potential costs of these services, what their current value is in a resale situation, as well as what alternatives are available to me in the event that the parcel I wind up buying does not yet have a well or septic installed.

My experience with the realtors in this area has been mixed, which is why I decided to post here in the hope that perhaps I might find someone in a FSBO situation that does not want to deal with a realtor. Or perhaps someone from the area that has knowledge of a property for sale that has not hit the MLS yet.

Now that we have all that cleared up, if anyone is aware of a parcel that might fit my requirements, please feel free to send me a direct message.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:39 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Depending on the area of State that you're looking to buy, I believe your expectations are high.
Any property in the low range you speak of is probably way out in the boonies with little or no access including any services like electricity or water. Any property near areas of development are starting, is usually bought up by big name developers and usualy runs into the high thousands of dollars, like $100,000 to @$250.000 per acre.
Unless you mention exactly where you're looking, it would be difficult to answer your questions.
I just sold 5 acres near Phoenix for $2+ million. Does that give you an indication.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:55 PM

269 posts, read 1,257,645 times
Quote:
I've been looking for land in this area for the last three years. That search has included intensive research into the price of well drilling, septic installation and alternative power methods. So, in response to normsw's comment, I'm more than familiar with the potential costs of these services
If you could not find land in that price range 3 years ago I very much doubt you will find it now,raw land has not been hit like residential properties because many land deals are cash and held for long term gains.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:20 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
For what it's worth, I paid $41,000.00 for an acre and a half about 15 or 20 minutes east of Show Low near Vernon, south of 60, not far past the "y". It's an undeveloped lot with electricity at the lot and water company water about 100 feet away. It's about 1000 feet from the entrance to the national forest. If you check out the county website, they just approved a 98 house development about 5 miles east of where I'm at. Search "Mineral Ranch". 2500 square foot minimum house and I think the minimum lot size is two acres. It's going to be an equestrian development with bridal paths, etc. I wanted a couple acres near Nutrioso/Alpine. There was no way I could afford anything out there though. This is close enough for me. Near Show Low for shopping, eating and entertainment (such that it is) and also an easy drive to Pinetop/Lakeside. In fact, I can drive to Pinetop without leaving the Nat. Forest roads. It's also close enough for me to Nutrioso, Alpine and Greer and the Sipe Wildlife Area ( Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area ). Elk all over the place. It may be closer to what you're looking for. Not sure how far out it is because their maps aren't exactly to scale. Maybe they don't want to scare people awa! I also checked out the Quemado Lake development. It was nice but just a little too far out in the boonies for me. 100 mile round trip to the nearest ATM. That was OK for me, but my wife wouldn't go for it......The real estate people were on my like vultures out there. I eventually found the lot I bought by just driving around. I suggest you get a good GPS program for your laptop to save you a lot of time driving past areas you already saw, and marking areas you like with notes and pictures.

I don't know where the trees are north of 60...Looks pretty barren to me. My place is here. The newly approved horsie development is about 5 miles southeast of there, almost adjacent to where Vernon/McNary Road jogs, near the Vernon Elementary School.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/NormanYan007/Lot.jpg (broken link)

Here's a shot of the Sipe area. Hunting is allowed on the property. I can't wait to get out there and build a little getaway.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-26-2007 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: please use DM for links

Old 11-26-2007, 08:25 PM

74 posts, read 383,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
For what it's worth, I paid $41,000.00 for an acre and a half about 15 or 20 minutes east of Show Low near Vernon, south of 60, not far past the "y". It's an undeveloped lot with electricity at the lot and water company water about 100 feet away. It's about 1000 feet from the entrance to the national forest. If you check out the county website, they just approved a 98 house development about 5 miles east of where I'm at. Search "Mineral Ranch". 2500 square foot minimum house and I think the minimum lot size is two acres. It's going to be an equestrian development with bridal paths, etc. I wanted a couple acres near Nutrioso/Alpine. There was no way I could afford anything out there though. This is close enough for me. Near Show Low for shopping, eating and entertainment (such that it is) and also an easy drive to Pinetop/Lakeside. In fact, I can drive to Pinetop without leaving the Nat. Forest roads. It's also close enough for me to Nutrioso, Alpine and Greer and the Sipe Wildlife Area ( Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area ). Elk all over the place. . It may be closer to what you're looking for. Not sure how far out it is because their maps aren't exactly to scale. Maybe they don't want to scare people awa! I also checked out the Quemado Lake development. It was nice but just a little too far out in the boonies for me. 100 mile round trip to the nearest ATM. That was OK for me, but my wife wouldn't go for it......The real estate people were on my like vultures out there. I eventually found the lot I bought by just driving around. I suggest you get a good GPS program for your laptop to save you a lot of time driving past areas you already saw, and marking areas you like with notes and pictures.

I don't know where the trees are north of 60...Looks pretty barren to me. My place is here. The newly approved horsie development is about 5 miles southeast of there, almost adjacent to where Vernon/McNary Road jogs, near the Vernon Elementary School.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/NormanYan007/Lot.jpg (broken link)

Here's a shot of the Sipe area. Hunting is allowed on the property. I can't wait to get out there and build a little getaway.
That's a GREAT shot. Some places like this take a few hours to get to on the main road and a few hours off the main road and the drive is to stressful, hows this drive?

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-26-2007 at 09:42 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 04:24 AM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
This drive couldn't be easier, it's right off the main road, either paved or graded gravel all the way to the paved parking lot with bathrooms. I think it's maybe 40 minutes from Show Low? If you click on the link, I think there's directions there. I think the mods edited my post because I included a link to a real estate place. I meant to say that you might have more luck north of St. Johns or Concho, which you're not interested in....it's pretty far out there. I didn't mean to say that the Sipe area is good for you. It would cost way more than you want to spend to be near Alpine or Nutrioso or Greer.

Last edited by and the; 11-27-2007 at 04:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona