U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2008, 09:39 AM

67 posts, read 154,928 times

Advertisements

[Remember that Kingman is on average 12 degrees cooler than BHC as well. Too the former city's daytime highs occur later in the day and things start cooling off sooner in the evening courtesy of being 3,300' above sea level.]

That's correct AZ Bear. And Fort Mohave is only 500 ft (+/-) above sea level. We're the hottest and we have the highest AC bills. But in winter, we rarely use our heat.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 10:05 AM

21,157 posts, read 26,622,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice - Next Wave View Post
[Remember that Kingman is on average 12 degrees cooler than BHC as well. Too the former city's daytime highs occur later in the day and things start cooling off sooner in the evening courtesy of being 3,300' above sea level.]

That's correct AZ Bear. And Fort Mohave is only 500 ft (+/-) above sea level. We're the hottest and we have the highest AC bills. But in winter, we rarely use our heat.
I lived in BHC and worked in Ft Mohave from February 2005-August 2006 so I am well aware of the summers there!

In defense of Kingman's winters...........they are not that bad----------nothing like Wash DC where I hail from

Old 09-20-2008, 03:19 PM

60 posts, read 104,104 times
After hearing about your electric bills I consider myself lucky. I have to agree about the crime and traffic getting worse here. I don't consider the traffic bad until the snow birds get here. Other than that it's not bad unless there is a wreck on Hwy 95.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:56 PM

9 posts, read 25,383 times
The kt you are posting are not per k/wt/hr. It has been 8.5 kw per hr since 1985. What you are posting is the purch amount per kwt per usage. Look at your bill notice the purch amt.
gemmy1

Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 PM

[malibu2010
befriend Join Date: Sep 2008
1 posts, read 108 times
Electric Bill - MEC Sep 08 Fort Mohave
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11-19-08
Just spoke to MEC.
Before July it was $.01-1/2 per k/wt
July it was $.02-1/2 per k/wt
After Aug it is $.03-1/2 per k/wt

My bill for a 2006 built home 1,400 sq ft., completely insulated, Low-E windows, foil plywood under the roof tile, no pool, keeping my house at 80 deg.

Bill is
July $459
Aug $517
Sep $560]

I looked back to see what gemmy1 was responding to . . . I 'think' this is it (?)

Last edited by Candice - Next Wave; 10-22-2008 at 10:30 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 PM

9 posts, read 25,383 times
Anyone looking to purchase an exisiting home should consider all the extra's that use alot of energry..pools etc. As far as living in a site built or manufactured home with low-e windows and the same insulation you will notice a huge difference in your bill depending on which direction your home is facing. Not a good idea to have window's facing the west. Love the view? You pay for it. When building a home have it facing the north and south. When decorating the inside pay the extra cost for cellular blinds and buy the outside window coverings. Many new homes have the 5 ton or higher with the 19 seer heat pump . Resale homes will be much lower in seers, of cousre it always depends on the size of the home on which tonage and seers is needed.
If you are thinking of ordering a manufactured home make sure it is ordered heat pump ready. You do not want to use a furnace here. If you already own a home and your a/c dies remember this, get the highest tonage with the highest seers. You won't be sorry. Always do your research before buying, call the utility company's and find out for yourself, don't rely on anyone but yourself, as you will be paying the bills. It's a good idea to check out the builder with the board of contractors.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:13 PM

[It's a good idea to check out the builder with the board of contractors.]

Indeed--especially, make sure your intended builder is still financially solvent. AZ Department of Real Estate has posted a list of builders in financial trouble:

http://www.azre.gov/PUBLIC_INFO/Documents/Homebuilders_in_Trouble.pdf (broken link)

And you can find out via the AZ ROC (Registrar of Contractors) if there are any open complaints filed on the builder you're considering:

http://www.azroc.gov/

The ROC is EXTREMELY consumer-friendly and you'll be amazed how helpful they are. You can also obtain a booklet on Workmanship Standards (gratis) to check your builder's work against the standards set. And yes I know all this from personal experience.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:45 PM

28 posts, read 161,901 times
Default Electric Bill

Wow, that is kinda expensive. It gets 85-90 here. Sometimes a little higher. We have 1200 sq ft. My highest bill was 187 keeping it at a little chilly 70. I guess the cost of living is a bit more expensive than here. We are getting into the heating bills now. I really hate to see them. It is supposed to double this year. We try not to keep it any warmer than 68 as then the bills get really high. Thanks for all the info. Have to do some thinking about moving there if the bills are that high! LOL Thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 AM

60 posts, read 104,104 times
The one thing I have found here is that I have adapted to the heat and no longer have to keep the inside as cool. I am happy with 77 during the day and turn it down to 75 at night. I can also work out in the yard when it's 120. My first two years I worked only outside during the night. And, we don't have humongous heating bills during the winter. In fact, this has been one of the coldest winters since I've been here. So much for global warming.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinks View Post
So much for global warming.
And the older I get the more I like the summer heat. I'm already working on my 'base coat' (indoors)
I agree, the winter's been relatively cold but our (gas, SWG) bills have not yet exceeded 60 bucks. We don't use heat much but we have a couple times this year.

It's been awesome to look at the mountains east of our home and see so much snow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona