Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:06 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,003,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Absolute nonsense! You think everybody in AZ has a swamp cooler here or is hot all summer long? Rubbish. I don't know anybody who has a swamp cooler. No modern home has them as far as I know.
I suspect quite a few new 'inexpensive' homes @ above 4,000' elevation here in Az still feature evaps vs. AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 12:11 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,776,544 times
Ummm, sure - you can run your ac - but that's why your bills are hundreds of dollars!!! Hell-O! That was the point of this thread!

Old 09-26-2009, 12:20 AM

70 posts, read 278,500 times
No getting around it--AC and paying for it are a way of life here. Those of us who love not living in snow or rain or high humidity and enjoying the sun are pretty good with it.

Evap cooler will be on in a week. I run mine October --> June.

My electric bill for August JUST arrived. This year's is different than previous years as I telecommute now AND run a broadcast studio from my home in addition to a recording studio. 5 TVs 6 computers. And a new spa.

375. FYI

PS. I know I posted previous years. Looks like this year is same as last August. BUT my July a lot lower. 420 not 500! (1400 SF 2000 year site built house)

Old 09-26-2009, 08:21 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,367,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Ummm, sure - you can run your ac - but that's why your bills are hundreds of dollars!!! Hell-O! That was the point of this thread!
2100 sf house. If my bill ever went over 175 in the hot months (even with my thermostat set at 75), I'd know someone was stealing my electricity.

Double paned windows, with awnings.
Put a light colored roof on the house.
Put extra insulation in the attic space.
No windows on the west or east side.
One strategically placed shade tree!
8 year old Carrier unit with Puron.
Use TOU billing (.07815 per kWh to .26127 per kWh depending on time of day)

Closed off the vents and the rooms that aren't lived in (guest room and spare bath). My computer and a TV run 6-9 hours a day, but the other trickle appliances are unplugged. Laundry and dishwasher only gets done if I have a full load. Fridge only gets opened and closed - no standing in front of an open door.

Save up and replace older appliances, that helps.
All I'm saying is, it can be done. Become the electricity police in your home.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,892 times
One thing that disturbs me on any chat line is the way people do not treat others who have a different experience like they are liars! Just because one person has something that works for them IN THEIR OWN EXPERIENCE, and maybe for most folks in general, doesn't mean that someone else's DIFFERENT AND VALID experience can't be different - and still be true for them. Just because my opinion or experience is different from others, doesn't make it less true or valid.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:34 PM

13,158 posts, read 21,698,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonLover View Post
One thing that disturbs me on any chat line is the way people do not treat others who have a different experience like they are liars! Just because one person has something that works for them IN THEIR OWN EXPERIENCE, and maybe for most folks in general, doesn't mean that someone else's DIFFERENT AND VALID experience can't be different - and still be true for them. Just because my opinion or experience is different from others, doesn't make it less true or valid.
Wow. If you're going to participate on these "chat lines", I recommend developing a thicker skin!

Old 11-01-2009, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,892 times
MY skin is just fine. I was just making an observation based on some of the replies I've seen to others! Everyone has an opinion, and I just feel we need to allow everyone to have one, without needing ours to the the RIGHT one. Of course if you think we have the right to be disrespectful to, or to attempt to convince others to view it MY way, you have the right to your opinion, of course!

Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 AM

60 posts, read 180,025 times
You mean we're allowed to have a difference of opinion? Whouda thunk it?

Old 11-01-2009, 11:36 AM

70 posts, read 278,500 times
I just got my bill for mid Sept-mid Oct. 200 bucks.
141 for usage...the rest taxes etc.
Evap cooler was on for about half the month.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 AM

60 posts, read 180,025 times
Mine was $45.12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona