U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-06-2007, 08:37 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,376,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
Did you check greatschools.com

I'm not sure life will be much different here than Florida, except we don't have a beach. I think we have the same problems Florida is experiencing.
Overcrowding, crime, illegals, traffic, Spanish as the state language.
snowbirds! dont forget them lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 04:29 AM

25 posts, read 96,548 times
Smile There are some good areas

Like Scottsdale and Paradise Valley. I heard that Scottsdale has some excellent schools.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:42 PM

25 posts, read 96,548 times
Default Nevada is less educated than Arizona

Certain areas have higher income than Nevada. Nevada proforms poorly when it comes to education. There some great schools in Nevada.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:28 PM

285 posts, read 498,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The vast majority of them, just like you, were raised and educated (or not) somewhere other than Arizona.
Excellent point to refute this continued snobery regarding intellect.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:33 PM

285 posts, read 498,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Right now I'm a sophomore at Brophy Prep. Up until high school I've been in the public school system of Kyrene School District. While its been a very interesting discussion I'm a little upset towards the disregard of "Character Counts," During my K-8 experience I remember it being introduced somewhere about 5th or 6th grade and while it seems many of you have the impression that it takes class time, the activities I remember doing were always incorporated into the curriculum (writing assignments, art projects, etc.).

Being someone who usually detets "time-wasted" (a 10k tuition makes me more aware) looking back I never felt that "Character Counts" wasting time in the academic sense. It was a good program. Some people needed it more than others, but as a class it was good medicine. In the same idea that parents have the ability and responsibilty to teach children about morals, it seems to be that the same logic could be used on even more vital programs such as D.A.R.E or sexual education.

I don't know. When I talk to my friends at Corona del Sol, they all seem well off in high school. In fact most of the time their intelligent surpasses my own. It all comes down to recognizing your opportunities and having the ambition to act on them.

I've sort of forgot what I'm talking about now, but I also wanted to experss my frustration towards the AIMS testings. As a private school, we don't have to take it but looking back to 8th grade, I don't remember the test being extremely difficult (nor do my friends at Corona). It's sad that rather than improving something in the education process, the state feels it is more important to let more students graduate (dumbing down the AIMS test yet again in the process).

My Two Cents

Very interesting this cancellation of a "Character Counts" program. Typical of the left leaning education system not wanting to pass judment on bad behavior.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,586 times
Seems like a lot of hard working people have very polite, well mannered children with basic decent values and morals in Arizona. Perhaps the emphasis should be on true education , not sports, Rodeo/ cowboy nonsense, banning cell phones in school and dump administrators/ politicians that don't get results might be a way to start.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:21 PM

31 posts, read 91,196 times
Whats up with all the high stats on child abductions and molesters in AZ?

Cheryl
who is getting scared about moving there from PA with a child

Old 02-15-2007, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,525 times
Default Weell

I think that Arizona suffers from all of the immigrants that come here. Not only from other countries, but also from other states. Arizona suffers from being a beautiful state with great wheather, making it stress under the influx of people.

Something you will find is more people in their 40's, and more people with graduate degrees per capita, than most other states.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,560 times
It is not just the AZ schools that have the character issue with their students. As an educator, I see over 900 students weekly and have to deal with the emotional baggage these kids bring with them to school.A lot of parents these days either overindulge, overvideoize or ignore, if not abuse,their kids. The separation between the haves and have nots is very apparent in the behavior of their children.
What really gets to me , is while the states are pushing education reform as the cure to the crisis, Parents are absolving themselves from the responsability of having their child ready for school. Manners? They will learn that at school. Respect for others? again school. We spend so much time in teaching and modelling proper behavior that it is nearly impossible to meet the academic goals set up for us. Over half of my students do not know or should I say, choose not to practice, how to stay in their seats and follow directions. And yet the blame is on the teachers. It is time for parents to take a long hard look and ask themselves, am I doing all that I can to insure my child is going to be a successful adult? If not Why?

Old 02-18-2007, 12:49 AM

372 posts, read 738,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
Statistically speaking, the average increase in income an individual can expect to earn with each advancing level of education achieved is striking and significant. There is a definite correlation between financial success and education, generally speaking. Not to say that there aren't individual outliers and entrepreneurs who become quite successful without having finished high school or going to college, but again, those are exceptions to the rule.
I disagree with the above, or I must be one of the individual outliers. I have a B.S. in a technological area from a reputable school, and I have subsequently earned two master's degrees and I am currently working on an MBA, but I can't find any job other than a part-time job at a retail store. For the majority of my adult life, I have been unemployed or underemployed, and the highest salary I have earned in any year of my life has been $45,000 (before taxes, so my take-home pay was substantially less). Therefore, it does not appear to me that earning a high level of education leads to personal, financial, or professional success. I would have done better had I not gone to college and had just entered the workforce after high school graduation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona