U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Okay we get italready, it is like beating a dead horse for cryin out loud!!! And they really need to change the name of that poll, it should be the schools that need the most improvement, plenty of people that havent finsihed school o rflunked out are extremely smart, baseing it on elementary and secondary schools does'nt mean much to me, I know lots that never went to college and are extremely smart and sucessful as well as ones that never finished school and they are also well off. Like I said you all act like giddy school girls when you post this stuff.
you sound like you need to go back to school as well. I might suggest that you start with grammer and english first cause you don't know how to spell. Flunking out of school and not persueing their education is the basis of why people say that the US is lazy. If a person is smart then they sould have no problem completing school and accomplishing what they should be doing then waiting for some random break to be well off. I think it is a cop out for people to accept the mundane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 AM

14,224 posts, read 17,816,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylb59 View Post
Whats up with all the high stats on child abductions and molesters in AZ?

Cheryl
who is getting scared about moving there from PA with a child
This post is a little off topic, but I don't know where you are getting your statistics.

It's my impression that most of the child abductions are by noncustodial parents, boyfriends, etc. Those can happen ANYWHERE. As far as child molestation, I have no idea how the numbers compare with PA, but keep in mind that a large percentage of those cases are also in the family, including significant others, etc. And again, those can happen ANYWHERE, not just AZ.

If you have employment lined up or a good financial cushion/means of support, your fears about abduction/molestation should not keep you from moving here.

Now, back to education.

(I think I better spell check this post first!)

Old 03-16-2009, 05:09 AM

6,356 posts, read 10,676,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ci81 View Post
you sound like you need to go back to school as well. I might suggest that you start with grammer and english first cause you don't know how to spell. Flunking out of school and not persueing their education is the basis of why people say that the US is lazy.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 AM

21,157 posts, read 26,639,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post
I think Cin hit it on the head; it's all in how you set the bar. If you include the illegals, the reservations, the....the...the.... you lower the standard. Note that most of the top ranks come from both high density populated states and ones with a long history of higher education and univeristies. Take such studies for what they're worth.
Very true.

Continue to toss out the illegal aliens and Anchor Babies (which is occurring as we speak) and I suspect our schools here will continue to improve.

Flip side: most legal immigrants; Mexicans included, do tend to place a higher value on education than native born Americans of any race/ethnicity.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen65 View Post
I think that Arizona suffers from all of the immigrants that come here. Not only from other countries, but also from other states. Arizona suffers from being a beautiful state with great wheather, making it stress under the influx of people.

Something you will find is more people in their 40's, and more people with graduate degrees per capita, than most other states.
Flip side here:

Load up Minnesota, Iowa, etc. with scads of illegal aliens and I bet the quality of education would go to hell there as well.

Speaking for myself: with the exception of Prescott; I will never live in a true '4 season' area again------------20 years of Wash DC cured me of that forever. I dislike the DC for a multitude of other reasons but; had the weather been OK, I probably would have never left.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,403,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Very true.

Continue to toss out the illegal aliens and Anchor Babies (which is occurring as we speak) and I suspect our schools here will continue to improve.

Flip side: most legal immigrants; Mexicans included, do tend to place a higher value on education than native born Americans of any race/ethnicity.
why do we have to bring up reservations? cant you leave the natives out of it?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
why do we have to bring up reservations? cant you leave the natives out of it?
Excuse me?

Please re-read my post:

Quote:
native born Americans of any race/ethnicity.
That refers to people born in the USA like myself.

Besides: be careful with the 'Native' American Indian race card: even the so-called fullblood indigenous peoples' ancestors came over from Asia during different eras with the later arrivals subjugating the earlier inhabitants-------------before the Euros.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 AM

220 posts, read 288,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ci81 View Post
you sound like you need to go back to school as well. I might suggest that you start with grammer and english first because you don't know how to spell. Flunking out of school and not persueing their education is the basis of why people say that the US is lazy. If a person is smart then they sould have no problem completing school and accomplishing what they should be doing (rather than???) waiting for some random break to be well off. I think it is a cop out for people to accept the mundane.
F@#$in dip s#!t. If you're going to criticize other peoples intelligence at least have the sense to run a spell check.

Now back to the topic of poor education in Arizona. The fact of the matter is that 90% of Arizona's population lives in either the Phoenix or Tuscon metro areas. Unfortunately both of these areas have a very high population of illegal immigrants and their families. Many of the students in these regions cant even speak english and are consequently years behind the national average. These kids aren't dumb, just uneducated. The schools are so overwhelmed by the influx of uneducated non english speaking kids that they're struggling to keep up.

Last edited by GSXRScott; 03-17-2009 at 03:03 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 09:42 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,403,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Excuse me?

Please re-read my post:

That refers to people born in the USA like myself.

Besides: be careful with the 'Native' American Indian race card: even the so-called fullblood indigenous peoples' ancestors came over from Asia during different eras with the later arrivals subjugating the earlier inhabitants-------------before the Euros.
so called huh, wanna try telling my husband, and grandfather who are full blooded so called? we DIDNT come from asia i know europeans want to believe that so badly but its a lie and not proven.i was born here as were all my ancestors. i am not playing any card as you say i am stating what i know-

Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
so called huh, wanna try telling my husband, and grandfather who are full blooded so called? we DIDNT come from asia i know europeans want to believe that so badly but its a lie and not proven.i was born here as were all my ancestors. i am not playing any card as you say i am stating what i know-
All human beings can trace their heritage back to Africa----------that has been proven via DNA testing.

Otherwise: care to explain why an adult of childbearing age is fertile despite being 1/4 each Black, White, Asian, Indian?

Hint: we are all of the same species--------------homo sapiens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona