U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-25-2007, 08:24 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,999,550 times
Default Lets talk septic systems

So far I have read and been told that a septic system runs ~$5K. How is this possible? How is a septic system in AZ different than one in the rest of the country? How regulated are they? Maybe I have not been told the whole story. Anyone got the rest of it?

From my understanding and experience in the building industry, materials for a proper septic system can't be purchased for $5K, let alone adding the machinery cost and labor to put it in. Ends up being more like $12K - $15K for an average sized system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 08:49 PM

16,874 posts, read 19,959,238 times
Be careful of generalizing about Arizona. Conditions and practices can vary widely. A "standard" system consisting of 1000 gallon tank and 300 feet of laterals will run about 5K. That price is high relative to many other places. I had one installed in OK for $3600 w/400 feet of laterals, for example. BUT, you can pay a lot more. If you want a septic system in the mountains around Flagstaff with bad perc rates, you may end up paying $25K for a multi-tank dosing system.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 PM

Let me give my definition of "standard" septic system.

A 1000 gallon dual compartment tank, 300' of lateral per bedroom. Lateral trenches must be 18" wide, 12" deep filled with wash gravel and 4" perferated pipe. Trenches covered with screen/matting and covered with a few inches of soil. Also a curtain drain surrounds the entire leach field on the 3 highest sides. Curtain drain is designed exactly the same as the laterals and drains to the ditch or off lot to keep any and all ground runoff water from entering and flooding the field.

I think I see some of the differences already..........

Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 PM

2,203 posts, read 6,043,595 times
What part of AZ are you curious about? In my area (Prescott) you'll find the conventional septics running in the $3k to $6k range, generally, but alternate systems are alot more than that. If you really need exact figures it's probably best to call a contractor or septic company in the area you're interested in.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
What part of AZ are you curious about? In my area (Prescott) you'll find the conventional septics running in the $3k to $6k range, generally, but alternate systems are alot more than that. If you really need exact figures it's probably best to call a contractor or septic company in the area you're interested in.
Yavapai County, areas south of Prescott in the mountains. I guess I'm looking for guidlines/building code links that may be posted about septic system design requirements in Yavapai County and Navajo County also. And how they determine what type of system is to be used where. Doesn't make sence to purchase a lot without having a clue what type if any, septic system is allowed or has to be used.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Yavapai County, areas south of Prescott in the mountains. I guess I'm looking for guidlines/building code links that may be posted about septic system design requirements in Yavapai County and Navajo County also. And how they determine what type of system is to be used where. Doesn't make sence to purchase a lot without having a clue what type if any, septic system is allowed or has to be used.
You're exactly right to be cautious. A perc test is crucial for determining whether you can install a conventional septic on the property. Just kind of a general rule of thumb - you'll have more problem if the soil is very rocky. Oftentimes alternate septic systems are required when there's alot of boulders, etc.

Here's a link to the ADEQ website covering all the rules & regs, plus it's a very helpful website: ADEQ: Arizona Department of Environmental Quality

If you'd like the name of a local Yavapai County septic company, just send me a Direct Message and I'll be glad to pass that along.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:06 PM

Here's one more website that should give you all the info you need (or at least point you in the right direction) for Yavapai County:
Environmental Services

Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 PM

Gretchen......quite a lot of info to digest! Covers EVERYTHING, exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona