Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Both sides have valid points.

I use to have a year round spot in Mazatlan. I would go there about 10 weeks a year (one week at a time).

Here are some facts about the current state in Mexican culture that can be applied to many beach towns:

* Drug related Mazatlan murders ramped up from 300 a year in 2005 when I bought to over 1200 when I (barely) got out in 2010. This violence prompting cruise lines to pull out. Tourism is WAY down in many spots.
* The Mexican military war on drugs is making an impact. But that creates instability as to who owns the "turf".
* The new unemployed drug cartel gangs are extorting $$'s from business owners. Pay or bad things happen. This is wide-spread problem. Also, Mexican people with money are being kidnapped. Most have body guards while others with serous money are coming to the States to escape. If you are a rich Mexican and not into drugs, you a aware of the risks.
* Generally speaking, police are either dirty or are scared to protect people. More often than not, they refuse to go out to the crime until is factually over.
* Police do not want to lose their jobs because they make a good living pulling people over and the related bribes for getting off. They have NO interest in looking like they are helping solve a drug related crime. I have witnessed a disco manager shouting at a police to get off his property. They were investigating a 5 person shooting at the club. The police turned around and left.
* Americans Expats who are vocal how save it is (then using an example how a killing happened in Phoenix) are damn nervous about driving white non-suspicious newer trucks and big SUV's. Those get their unfairshare of hijackings. People I know with homes in Mexico no longer drive their car back and forth. They now fly.
* Like the USA, not all towns are as problematic. When I looked last in 2009, Cancun had a total of 6 drug related killings while Mazatlan had 1100. 6 drug related murders==safe; 1100 is a lot less safe.

Statistically, 22 million people visited Mexico last year. Under a dozen American and Canadians were injured. Work the numbers: you are not going to be killed in PP in a shootout, kidnapping, or stabbing. But that doesn't mean a police is going to help you. If you are normal, you are going to feel relieved to arrive safely. I can drive across Arizona and I am not going to white-knuckle drive worrying about the unknown but I will in a cross country drive in Mexico. I know police are going to help me in the USA. I would not worry to start a business in the USA (but I would in Mexico), etc.

I was planning on going to PP in March. I am certainly going to reconsider but I probably will still go. But I plan on hiring one of those Phoenix shuttle vans. I would not hesitate to travel to Cancun. Tourism is close to normal in Cancun.

That all said, I am glad I sold my $4xxK condo in Mexico. They are still dropping. I also would not want to own a PP condo. Resale must be less than ideal. This shooting won't help.
Driving to PP is a lot different than to Mazatlan. PP is an hour away and most times of the day it is a steady stream of Zonies going down the road. It is hardly like you are out there alone in the Mexican countryside among the banditos.

NOTE: I would not go to PP in March unless I were under 25. It was and still is a zoo during spring break times. On the other hand, if you are a dirty old geezer the scenery is definitely better then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 08:36 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Nah. RP is safe and I would not hesitate to go there. People who don't think so are people who have never been there.
I've been there and was mugged by a local and my friend was robbed by the Federales in the same night. Your logic is flawed.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:57 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Driving to PP is a lot different than to Mazatlan. PP is an hour away and most times of the day it is a steady stream of Zonies going down the road. It is hardly like you are out there alone in the Mexican countryside among the banditos.

NOTE: I would not go to PP in March unless I were under 25. It was and still is a zoo during spring break times. On the other hand, if you are a dirty old geezer the scenery is definitely better then.
Thanks for the warning. I want no part of spring break. Early April sounds much better.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:34 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Pretty cut and dried. I was last in PP/Rocky Point in May and saw no issues. There were Mexican Military with their machine guns standing by the northend of town for us Zonies driving south but that was all the military related presence I saw. I prefer San Diego anyhow but I felt it was worth visiting and had great seafood right in the Old Town/Downtown area where all the hawkers are. I personally wouldn't let today's event deter me from going again in the future.

Sadly, we only hear of about ONE out of ONE HUNDRED such incidents and this one does not change my perception one bit, Magnum . . . TOO DANGEROUS and NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Take a few minutes and speak with someone who has been involved in a robbery or an assault (if they are still able to speak) and maybe you will understand my stand.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:08 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
A bombing in Boston with a paramilitary lock down and no one is afraid to visit Boston.

LA SWAT has engaged robbers in full on shootouts in the streets of LA and no one is afraid to visit LA.

I am not going to say that Mexico is a paradise and I certainly wouldn't visit some places but, given the amount of people that I know here that visit Rocky Point, I'd say it's generally an okay place to visit.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:57 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Well we kill well over 3000 Americans per decade in Detroit...about 5X what we lose in Mexico. So you all boycotting Michigan?

With any sort of reasonalbe care...don't do dumb things...Mexico is likely safer than Detroit and a number of other US eastern cities. Should we ban the east?
Might not be a bad idea... In all seriousness, I will not go to Detroit. I have had coworkers robbed while they were working there, and I am not interested in placing myself in a position where I have to defend myself with all the hassle that creates. Same reason I won't go to Mexico, NYC, or DC. I will not go places that either attempt to deny me my right of self-defense, or have a heightened risk of me actually having to exercise that right. YMMV.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Might not be a bad idea... In all seriousness, I will not go to Detroit. I have had coworkers robbed while they were working there, and I am not interested in placing myself in a position where I have to defend myself with all the hassle that creates. Same reason I won't go to Mexico, NYC, or DC. I will not go places that either attempt to deny me my right of self-defense, or have a heightened risk of me actually having to exercise that right. YMMV.
Where you going to live? Perhaps the two nastiest violent crimes in our time occurred in school houses in Amish PA and Newtown CN. So you avoid upper class suburbs and totally rural? With no Detroit or NY it is going to be hard to find a place for you. You might hide out in rural Mexico. Very tame and you can carry.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:17 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
LOL, your name seems appropriate. Giddy up!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Moved to the Arizona forum for broader perspective.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times
I don't have any issues with either side as I figured this would be a polarizing subject and thanks for the feedback everyone. My wife told me this evening even a quick walk into Nogales isn't a priority for her again. The media has sensationalized the safety IMO. I guess future dinners even at La Roca in Nogales or anywhere in MX will have to be solo or with the guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona