Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 07:17 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

Sadly, we only hear of about ONE out of ONE HUNDRED such incidents and this one does not change my perception one bit, Magnum . . . TOO DANGEROUS and NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Take a few minutes and speak with someone who has been involved in a robbery or an assault (if they are still able to speak) and maybe you will understand my stand.
If I have my own wheels in a reliable vehicle, I'll take my chances again. What I will not do, especially being caucasian is ever go on a bus from Nogales to Hermosillo or San Carlos in lieu of the disaster earlier this year with drug runners planting their drugs on those buses causing that innocent lady to be in prison for awhile.

As for Rocky Point, that road is strictly traveled by Zonies from Sonoyta to RP. The only other directions are going to Caborca which isn't even near the water. Way more Arizona plates than Sonora plates once one ventures south of Sonoyta. While it is Mexican with 90 KPH speed limits and Alto signs, I sense that 60 mile stretch isn't true Mexico and is about as Americanized stretch of highway as one can find in that country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:30 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
The media has sensationalized the safety IMO. I guess future dinners even at La Roca in Nogales or anywhere in MX will have to be solo or with the guys.
Sensationalized media works both ways. Imagine the fun the media, on the Border towns, have with sensationalizing events in Arizona, to scare off Mexicans from traveling across the Border.

That mass shooting, a few years back, in Tucson, leaving a judge dead and that Congresswoman shot, and others injured, imagine the fun they had with that one!

No, they wouldn't!!! No, they would? Say that this happens all the time across the Border!

Old 12-21-2013, 11:43 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Where you going to live? Perhaps the two nastiest violent crimes in our time occurred in school houses in Amish PA and Newtown CN. So you avoid upper class suburbs and totally rural? With no Detroit or NY it is going to be hard to find a place for you. You might hide out in rural Mexico. Very tame and you can carry.
I currently live in rural Missouri. Do we have crime? Yes. Violent crime? Rare, but it happens. The difference is, if it is happening to me or my family, I have the right and ability to defend myself and my family as I deem necessary, without a government that is looking to hang me for it. In places like Mexico, NYC, DC, that is not the case.

I have been to Mexico some years ago, have friends there. But that was before there were running gun battles in the streets of their city. I have chased down crackheads in some of the worst parts of St. Louis. Bounced bikers out of a bar here and there. I know what is out there, have lived it, and made the decision to place my family where I can best ensure their safety. Can bad things still happen? Sure. But I have taken steps to mitigate the risk, which is all I can do. That works for me. Your path may well be different, and that works for you. For me, it was a return to the way I was raised, after learning what else there was. I feel that the way I was raised is better- for me. Others will see it differently. No big deal.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
LOL, your name seems appropriate. Giddy up!
It is, isn't it? That's generally the point of a chosen name.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,290 times
My girlfriend and I were just in Rocky Point...I was actually bidding on several houses in Cholla Bay, I saw the police and military presence. I did feel uncomfortable...The town has good areas and a lot of not so good areas..mainly dirt roads hard on the eyes and throat. I believe that things are not going to change much as far as crime..most of the nicer neighborhoods are guarded, however with the recent events I'm reluctant to purchase property there.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I'm still highly considering running down there this next fall - it's been a while, but we have friends who have been down there about every 3 weeks for the last 6 months running and they haven't had any issues and I haven't had any issues in the past

I do believe there is actual concern in the country - there are some places that are just do not enter type of places ..... I used to underwrite kidnap & ransom insurance and Mexico was one of the toughest nations out there - RP has had a couple of high profile incidents, but all over seems to be doing fairly well - especially if you use a little caution (although wrong place/wrong time can definitely happen)

It's something to keep an eye on - I much prefer the beach & water there and really there is little draw to SD for me

Old 12-25-2013, 02:58 AM

50 posts, read 106,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I thought this kind of stuff was dying down.

The police have a lot less control on the other side of the border than they do here. Cartels will take out the police chief without blinking an eye. I will not be going to Rocky Point until I go several years without hearing cartels carrying out these mass shootings.
Ask any police officer in Detroit if thats true. Also, stuff like this happens every single day in the USA, why is it such a big deal since it happened there?

Old 12-26-2013, 07:23 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,200 times
We have a house in Cholla Bay. I'm not concerned.The recent incident, while it wouldn't happen here, appears to have been well planned and executed and there was no collateral damage that I've heard of. A message sent to the cartels. Maybe if it was strong enough, they'll decide to vacation elsewhere. RP has everything to lose if Americans stop going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona