U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:48 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,431,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
how about you don't break the law?
Said no one with any knowledge on the history of marijuana prohibition. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM

250 posts, read 198,014 times
Let a Washington Resident handle this.

It is not causing chaos so why not

and to CinSonic - A felony for a plant that is less harmful than Alcohol

Old 01-11-2014, 01:00 PM

3,363 posts, read 4,219,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The party in power is irrelevant to legalization. It should be noted that the Democratic governor of Colorado was openly against legalization.

I support legalization of marijuana (and all narcotics). Prohibition increases crime and creates a huge waste of tax dollars. In regards to marijuana specifically I cannot fathom why a person should go to jail for growing, possessing or using a plant that grows naturally of the earth.

The current initiative will fail unless someone comes fourth with financial backing. Another legalization drive will begin a year or so down the road backed financially by the Marijuana Policy Project. They want the issue on the ballot during the presidential election cycle as more people will turn out to vote.
I agree with this. An area that leans "blue" or "red" really has no effect on something like this. Many staunch conservatives who lean Libertarian are in favor of either decriminalizing marijuana, or making it fully legal. As a conservative Libertarian, I am personally opposed to recreational drugs ... however, I see no need to keep this stuff illegal because all it does is stimulate the underground black market & increases crime even more.

As far as whether it will pass in Arizona, it really all depends. I can see it going either way, based on how the medicinal marijuana initiative was just barely passed by the voters four years ago. Of course, that was in the 2010 mid term election. If this were put on the ballot during a Presidential election, chances are that the medicinal proposition would have gotten much more voter support ... so that could very well hold true if this is included on the 2016 ballot.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 PM

188 posts, read 299,039 times
Wait and see how fast attitudes can change after Colorado and Washington report the amount of new revenue flowing into the State coffers. This train is leaving the station and the majority of states including AZ will be on it not in front of it.
And with time marijuana will be perceived as less of a threat to public health than liquor. A new paradigm is born.
Recreational use in AZ happens in 2016…no later.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM

345 posts, read 291,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I agree with this. An area that leans "blue" or "red" really has no effect on something like this. Many staunch conservatives who lean Libertarian are in favor of either decriminalizing marijuana, or making it fully legal. As a conservative Libertarian, I am personally opposed to recreational drugs ... however, I see no need to keep this stuff illegal because all it does is stimulate the underground black market & increases crime even more.
I am in this camp. I loathe to be classified in either of the two parties, but I guess if it came down to it, I would be red. And even though I too, find potheads to be somewhat 'annoying', I am sick and tired of wasting money on this prohibition. It didn't work with alcohol and it certainly isn't working with the other things.

The only other thing of note I will point out is that it was a constitutional amendment that outlawed liquor. Why should it have not been so for the other things, the subject of this topic included? But that's another story and not relevant to an Arizona only topic. . . . .

Old 01-13-2014, 10:50 AM

743 posts, read 565,735 times
I misspoke when I said red and blue earlier; I did not intend to reference political parties, I intended to reference the social liberals vs. the social conservatives. Since so often those line up with Democratic and Republican parties I took the easy way out with the red vs blue statement.

Having said that, while it may not be a strictly partisan issue, it is a fact that Democrats favor legalization more than Republicans (one recent poll I found was 55% of Democrats favor legalization while 59% of Republicans oppose it). This study also mentions that Tea Partiers (of which we have more than a few) while more inclined to support legalization still oppose it over all.

While there will always be dissenters in any group you can look at generalities to get some idea of how the people, as a whole, will vote and to think that RMJ will be a reality in the true red states in 2 years is, pardon the phrase, a pipe dream.

Looking at Arizona specifically and given the way our state government has reacted to MMJ, do you honestly think that even if the voters approved it there would be less than a year or two of hearings before anything actually happened here?

Poll: Majorities of Democrats and Independents Support Legalization of Marijuana - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 PM

345 posts, read 291,641 times
From what I heard, legislation is being drafted for legal use in AZ:

Legalized marijuana: Could Arizona be next? - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Which I do support, I don't give a crap what the party affiliation of the politician drafting it; though I wish it was a conservative or better a smart conservative (Libertarian leaning).

But I guess there will be those that still want to use the "Reefer Madness" mentality to block said legislation:

Is marijuana harmless? Think again: Lessons from Colorado | Arizona Capitol Times

So, I would like to add just a couple of things. I used to use marijuana and no longer do. Yes, sometimes the 'potheads' bug me. However, I think it is high time (no pun intended) to stop wasting our money on stopping the use of it. And my final rebuttal of the latter linked article is this:

In 1973 (at 13), it was way, way, way, way, way, way easier for me to buy a bag of weed from an illegal source than ever it was to buy a bottle of booze.

my peso's worth

Old 01-13-2014, 09:06 PM

701 posts, read 680,840 times
I don't smoke, but I know plenty of people that do. It's really no different than me having a glass of wine. I think once other states start seeing the amount of taxes raised by CO & WA, they'll be more open to it.

Prohibition wasn't abolished because people suddenly thought alcohol was good for you, it was abolished because people wanted it abolished.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:07 PM

6,974 posts, read 6,999,560 times
Arizona poll shows slight majority favoring legalizing pot

Ariz. poll shows slight majority favoring legalizing pot

Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 AM

117 posts, read 44,306 times
Good link, but who knows which way it will go. "Still, having Arizona follow in the footsteps of other states is far from a lock. Haynes said having the support of just 51 percent is hardly a guarantee of voter approval." another quote ""We will not get caught flat-footed and late to the issue again,'' he said when the idea of a 2016 initiative was first proposed last year. That is a reference to the fact that there was no organized opposition to the 2010 measure."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona