Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:03 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBlunted View Post
Good link, but who knows which way it will go. "Still, having Arizona follow in the footsteps of other states is far from a lock. Haynes said having the support of just 51 percent is hardly a guarantee of voter approval." another quote ""We will not get caught flat-footed and late to the issue again,'' he said when the idea of a 2016 initiative was first proposed last year. That is a reference to the fact that there was no organized opposition to the 2010 measure."
Arizona won't be a frontrunner on this issue. It may likely follow the lead if say Alaska, Florida, California, and New York go first. Washington and Colorado are still outliers at the moment. I sense a lot of indifference and it would take a big election like 2016 where more people show up at the polls to get any real movement on the issue would be my guess. In New Mexico there were a few state legislature reps trying to get it on the 2014 ballot and I believe it would likely pass for legalization here though it didn't get very far in the legislature, a little too soon I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 AM

201 posts, read 611,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
Wait and see how fast attitudes can change after Colorado and Washington report the amount of new revenue flowing into the State coffers. This train is leaving the station and the majority of states including AZ will be on it not in front of it.
And with time marijuana will be perceived as less of a threat to public health than liquor. A new paradigm is born.
Recreational use in AZ happens in 2016…no later.
Well, that didn't take long. Legal Pot Rakes It In for States - The Daily Beast

Old 02-22-2014, 02:12 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,504 times
I think I'm not so much against legalizing marijuana as I am irritated by how important this topic is in this country. We have people who are starving, our economy is in the toilet, drug addiction is rampant, homelessness and joblessness continues to rise, yet the only thing that people are passionate about is smoking trees. It's pretty pathetic in my opinion. Granted, I do feel marijuana is safer than alcohol and tobacco, but it's just one of those things that I feel is absolutely useless and serves no purpose. The medical argument side of it seems to almost be a mask for the burnouts who just want to score some legal weed and light up wherever they want. If it's legalized, I won't care one way or another. I just find it sad that we will dump our space programs, cut our military, and the biggest thing we can accomplish is legalize weed. Go America!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:25 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times
Even if we voted for recreational and won, the capitol would overturn it like they did with medicinal.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:39 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,941 times
I think the pot legalization movement is gaining traction rapidly across the nation. In a few years it will be legal everywhere and people will scratch their heads asking: "Why did we ever criminalize it?" The model for this is the termination of prohibition in 1933. Had you asked the average Joe in say 1929 if prohibition would ever be repealed they would have said no, never. Then a rapid shift in sentiment set in, engulfing even Mormons who voted in Utah for the repeal and that was the decisive state for the 75% threshold. The Mormon rank-and-file voted against the recommendation from their leadership. Not the first time rank-and-file are wiser than the leaders btw. Anyways, in 2016 this will be a done deal in Arizona IMO.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:43 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I think I'm not so much against legalizing marijuana as I am irritated by how important this topic is in this country. We have people who are starving, our economy is in the toilet, drug addiction is rampant, homelessness and joblessness continues to rise, yet the only thing that people are passionate about is smoking trees. It's pretty pathetic in my opinion. Granted, I do feel marijuana is safer than alcohol and tobacco, but it's just one of those things that I feel is absolutely useless and serves no purpose. The medical argument side of it seems to almost be a mask for the burnouts who just want to score some legal weed and light up wherever they want. If it's legalized, I won't care one way or another. I just find it sad that we will dump our space programs, cut our military, and the biggest thing we can accomplish is legalize weed. Go America!
thank you

Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 6,751 times
It's always been a corrupt law. So hypocritical of the alcoholics and nicotine addicts to keep their thumbs on the herb smokers. No matter how our government tries to demonize it, and pretend it's a dangerous narcotic like cocaine, it's not, it's an herb.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,941 times
Quote:
I'm just saying that repeal of prohibition was also a BIG topic during the Great Depression and actually really the worst years of it, repealed in 1933. This is one of those interesting "rhymes" in history where the mindset of the people and the outcomes are similar, Great Depression then vs. Great Recession today.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
The anti-marijuana movement is largely cultural. The people who are opposed to it still remember Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" and are horrified by the idea that big bad marijuana could be legalized.

The same American Taliban (Tea Party/Evangelicals) that is creating problems in our society now want to impose their morality upon you by denying you marijuana.

In short, the medical marijuana legislation is a joke. Anyone can get weed now. All you have to do is walk into a naturopath's office and tell them you have chronic pain from fibromyalgia and they will give you a prescription for weed. Everyone is abusing this loophole so why not just legalize it and not make people jump through hoops. It's ultimately going to happen here whether it's now or in the next 10-20 years. Florida will be the next state to legalize it.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Well rich, if it wasn't such a big deal than why are so many people against it. Maybe you should direct your attention to the Tea Party members who vehemently oppose marijuana and ask them why?

I don't think it's a big deal either which is why I'm surprised that Evangelicals spend so much of their time opposing pot instead of helping the poor like Jesus would do. There are people starving in this country, and they are more concerned with a gay couple wanting to call their union a "marriage"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona