U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 AM

8 posts, read 84,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperian View Post
Hello undergunfire.
I am a rat and rabbit lover!!! I currently own rats and pamper them. However after owning and loving 6 rats, I am considering getting a pet rabbit instead. Only because the short life span of rats leads to too much and too frequent heartache.

Since you own both rats and rabbits, I was interested to know whether you allow them to interact together? I am wondering if they get along, and if perhaps I can keep both as pets. I imagine seperate cages, but it would be ideal if they could have free roam time together. Do you do this with your rats and rabbits?

Hello! I am glad that you love bunnies and rats!

Please understand that they are incredibly different creatures. Rats do have short life spans, but rabbits can as well if you don't take top care of them. They must be spayed/neutered and fed a strict diet. They can live 10+ years, but it takes quite a bit of care.

Please join my rabbit forum to learn all about bunnies, to see if they are right for you: Rabbits Online Forum

However, I wouldn't suggest rehoming your rats so that you can get a rabbit. Your ratties deserve to live their lives out with you. There are so many rats needing homes already. How old are your rats? Keeping both rats and rabbits isn't very hard at all. What type of cage are your rats currently living in? Males or females?

I also do not suggest letting rats and rabbits interact together, nor do I suggest any animal other than another spayed/neutered rabbit interact together. Rabbits have strong back legs, that can kill or injure a rat if kicked. Rabbits also have sharp teeth...one bite to a rattie tail or foot...could cause loss of either/or.

Join the rabbit forum and learn as much as you can about bunnies before bringing them into your home .

Old 02-02-2008, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,953 times
Default how many...

how many rats is to many? i have had a total of 7 rats at one time and everyone was telling me that i should have stopped at two.

so how many is to many?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy85014 View Post
how many rats is to many? i have had a total of 7 rats at one time and everyone was telling me that i should have stopped at two.

so how many is to many?
Honestly, I think 4-10 is a great number, but....there is no such thing as "too many rats" .....providing, you have the money for vet care and the money to make up a homemade food mixture for them.

I now have 4 ratties and it's a great number for me .

Old 02-03-2008, 09:50 PM

726 posts, read 1,023,417 times
I love rabbits...in a crockpot with sausage and BBQ sauce. Slice up a white onion in there.

As far as rats...I got gophers but I have been trying to sneak up on the little critters with a pellet gun.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:57 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,192,597 times
i have had a dwarf lop rabbit for the last 4 years. she is a great pet. she is litter box trained, you can hold her and she comes when called. my bunny won't leave carpeted areas, so its easy to keep her contained in our living room.

they do take a little special care. They LOVE to chew on wires, and if you aren't careful this could kill the rabbit or burn your house down. if nothing else its a pain to be repairing wires, or replacing electronics. I also feel they should not be in a house with predator pets. we got a dog and a cat after the rabbit, and it makes the rabbit quite uncomfortable and you need to be careful when they are all in the room together.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
i have had a dwarf lop rabbit for the last 4 years. she is a great pet. she is litter box trained, you can hold her and she comes when called. my bunny won't leave carpeted areas, so its easy to keep her contained in our living room.

they do take a little special care. They LOVE to chew on wires, and if you aren't careful this could kill the rabbit or burn your house down. if nothing else its a pain to be repairing wires, or replacing electronics. I also feel they should not be in a house with predator pets. we got a dog and a cat after the rabbit, and it makes the rabbit quite uncomfortable and you need to be careful when they are all in the room together.

Nicely said!

You should join our popular rabbit forum, so I can hear more about your bunny! We have a few AZ people on there, as well.

Rabbits Online Forum

It's a great bunny forum, very very popular !

Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undergunfire View Post
Actually, guys, my 3 neutered (yes, neutered, it is better for their health, much like dogs!) bunnies live inside the house. I would never let a pet rabbit live outdoors in the heat and cold. They are sensitive animals.

My bunnies live in this type of cage that I made out of storage cubes from Target:

** This size cage fits one bunny. The bunny in the cage pictured is 5lbs. I have three bunnies who aren't living together in one cage yet, but when they do....their cage will be two times the size of the cage pictured. Most people don't know that commercial rabbit cages sold in pet stores are actually TOO SMALL!

Most people think rabbits are boring, they are not! My rabbits are much like dogs....they will lick you and play with toys. Most people who have rabbits are uneducated and don't take their bunnies out of their cages to play....let a bunny out and experience a "binky" and "bunny 500's"....your rabbit will really come to live with time out of the cage .

Oh yeah, my bunnies are 100% litter boxed trained and don't smell. You can only smell a faint whiff of hay every now and then. Cats are MUCH stinkier than bunnies! I clean my bunnies litter boxes every 4 days...and I still can't smell them!

About rats being dull....mine aren't at all! They spend lots of time out of their cages and play around my bedroom (I put all electrical cords out of their reach). My ratties even love to snuggle up to me and watch a movie! I have two adult rats that are neutered, and one baby rat who will be neutered when he is of age.

My ratties live in this cage, which can hold 6 rats maximum, so you can tell that my rats have tons of room inside of their cage!:

My rat cage is complete with fleece as bedding (rats love fleece to walk on!) and rat "hammocks" that I sew myself, they love to snuggle up in a hammock for a snooze. My rats are fed a homemade food mixture and fed nightly "dinners" that I prepare myself (pastas, meats, salads, ect). Pet store seed mixes are horrible and not at all what rats should be eating, it's like humans only eating sweet and fast food their whole lives, nothing else!

Oh, yeah...again....my rats are also litter box trained!

Most would think I am nuts, but actually...there are thousands of people who spoil their rabbits and rats with this type of "life of luxury". I am a moderator on a rabbit forum and I am an active member of a rat forum. It really may seem unbelievable to most right now if you are reading this type of "pet care"....but believe it....there are thousands of other people out there who take care of their bunnies and rats the same way!

hey, im new to rats and im looking for a cage plz tell me were you got thAt one plzzz .

Old 04-25-2010, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times
Hey,
I have rats and I love them so much. They are amazing and intelligent but as a first time rat owner, I don't feel like I am giving them the best life they could have. They have a huge house and I clean them out weekly. They always have food available and I give them fresh veggies a few times a week. I get them out of their cage almost every day but I'm not really sure how to play with them. They have the same cage as undergunfire (I think) and I have recycled paper bedding on the top and middle levels. They don't have a litter tray or bedding in their house because they push it all out every time I try to put bedding in their house.
So baisically, if anyone has rats and has any tips on how to make their live brilliant then I'd love to know. The more info you can give me the better, even if it seems simple or unimportant I'd still like to know.
Thanks

Old 04-25-2010, 03:40 PM

8,671 posts, read 9,363,263 times
I don't know where this came out of, but does not belong here...Pet forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona