Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:53 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
NIMBY's love solar, wind, and all sorts of other alternative energies....as long as they don't impede their view of the mountains, desert, surf etc.

Put them where folks are powerless and poor, and have no resources like the liberal aristocracy to fight them.
Thank you! I despise NIMBYs because they are always trying to stop progress from happening. They are often the types that move to newer developments located near existing airports, air force bases, freeways, etc., and complain about the noise from aircraft or traffic. They raise a fuss when a midrise building is proposed and threatens "their" views of the mountains. They often contribute very little to their communities or society in general, except whining & lots of protesting. Like the verse in the Christmas Eve story, I wish they would dash away, dash away all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Good news Southern CA will finally get some rain this weekend. Drought won't end but some rain is better than no rain.
On Saturday, Arizona received much of the rain which drenched southern CA. It was so nice, and the air is finally fresh and clean ... no more dust or pollution for a little while! Like you said: it was long overdue, we sure needed it, and some rain is better than nothing, but it still won't do much for the drought situation. We need several consecutive winters with normal to above normal precipitation in order to make any kind of dent in the drought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 01:15 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
On Saturday, Arizona received much of the rain which drenched southern CA. It was so nice, and the air is finally fresh and clean ... no more dust or pollution for a little while! Like you said: it was long overdue, we sure needed it, and some rain is better than nothing, but it still won't do much for the drought situation. We need several consecutive winters with normal to above normal precipitation in order to make any kind of dent in the drought.
Or Washington needs to have real leadership and invest in the west like the interstate system. Everyone understands we need water to live right? Why not make an east west pipeline and feed major rivers that go to the majority of the population?

Oh, but it's not cost effective to pipe water

I guess we only plan 10 years at a time, not like it use to be with 100 year plans I guess.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,885 times
Some interesting articles:

State-on-state water wars are coming

California will tap its water bank, even as Lake Mead shrinks | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 03-20-2014, 01:19 PM

Today is the first day of spring, but hardly anybody would know it because most of the winter felt like spring! This last winter was (once again) below average on the precipitation. Northern Arizona is especially feeling the effects from the lack of snowfall because it is contributing to a worsening drought situation. Some towns like Williams are already imposing harsh water restrictions.
Williams faces 'water crisis' - Williams News - Williams, Arizona

What really irritates me is: even with the severity of the drought and no sign of improvement in the near future, there are still many people who boast about how beautiful the weather is because of the constant sunshine. Admittedly, the temperatures have been relatively pleasant (although a little too warm at times), but too many people around here are shallow minded and don't look at the big picture. Dry winters like these might bring in more snowbirds and encourage more outdoor recreation, but the long term picture is not encouraging. A dry winter translates to a primary rain & snow season which we miss out on, and that eventually leads to water shortages, like what northern AZ is facing. I wish these sun freaks would GET A CLUE ... and this includes the TV weather people who can't shut up about how "wonderful" the never ending sunshine is!

Old 03-20-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What really irritates me is: even with the severity of the drought and no sign of improvement in the near future, there are still many people who boast about how beautiful the weather is because of the constant sunshine. Admittedly, the temperatures have been relatively pleasant (although a little too warm at times), but too many people around here are shallow minded and don't look at the big picture. Dry winters like these might bring in more snowbirds and encourage more outdoor recreation, but the long term picture is not encouraging. A dry winter translates to a primary rain & snow season which we miss out on, and that eventually leads to water shortages, like what northern AZ is facing. I wish these sun freaks would GET A CLUE ... and this includes the TV weather people who can't shut up about how "wonderful" the never ending sunshine is!
I have the same problem out here. Everyone loves the great beach weather. Last weekend was record breaking, 88 degrees at the coast. It never gets that hot in San Diego (coast) even in the summer. I am irritated too but I keep telling myself, you can't fix stupid. Or in this case ignorant. They won't love the fires that will happen when the Santa Anas hit. Do you get Santa Anas in AZ?

Old 03-23-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I have the same problem out here. Everyone loves the great beach weather. Last weekend was record breaking, 88 degrees at the coast. It never gets that hot in San Diego (coast) even in the summer. I am irritated too but I keep telling myself, you can't fix stupid. Or in this case ignorant. They won't love the fires that will happen when the Santa Anas hit. Do you get Santa Anas in AZ?
I know exactly what you mean. I love San Diego, and have been there many times (it's my part time summer getaway spot), but the attitude there is about the same as here. Unfortunately, the level of ignorance is high because people only think of here & now, and not the big picture. In one of the threads in the Phoenix forum, there was a comment about how the weather being the same all the time is so wonderful because outdoor plans aren't cancelled. It's so great you can go to the beach in San Diego, and to the waterparks here (as one poster suggested) ... however, if the drought gets so bad that water restrictions become reality, guess what? No more waterpark fun!

You are correct about the fires. Didn't parts of southern CA already have some fires this winter from Santa Ana winds? We don't get Santa Anas, but it can get quite windy during the spring & early summer months. Arizona's fire season is normally May, June, and part of July, but it could start earlier this year and be even more devastating than usual. I'm especially concerned about northern AZ and the lack of snowfall this winter. Because conditions are so tinder dry, one lightning strike or careless human could spark an inferno.

There is one thing that Arizona gets that much of California doesn't, and that's the summer monsoon, which is actually our secondary rainy season. That usually gets started around the early to middle part of July and ends in September. It's more pronounced in the east & SE parts of the state, and in the higher terrain ... but more marginal the further west you go in AZ. That's one sign of hope for AZ, but probably not so much for southern CA because your dry season can last from now all the way to November. I feel bad for what California is going through.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:23 PM

There were some fires in the L.A. county area earlier this winter. Santa Anas are at their peak here September through November. Our worst month for fires is November. You are correct our dry season lasts until late November/early December. If we don't have any more storms we can go March - December no rain. I remember one year we went over 300 days with no measurable rain.

We are in our third dry year. At least El Nino is being predicted for next winter (so far) and that usually produces higher than average rain fall. That would help to fill the reservoirs/lakes etc. We are still in Stage One Drought conditions (San Diego County), which does not require any sacrifice. Limited times to water the yards is about the extent of it. Southern CA plans for drought and has water in storage. Northern CA does not have the storage we have and those communities are in much worse shape.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,401 times
Here is, or was...., lake Shasta, picture taken last week AFTER the rain....

Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Blah blah blah. Nothing but shockjock news about the Southwest and water.

Colorado River delta revived by historic water release - environment - 23 March 2014 - New Scientist

Old 07-05-2014, 07:37 PM

266 posts, read 286,523 times
The drought in Arizona is its worst in 110 years. The really dry winter contributed to it. So far, every month except March has gone without rain in Phoenix. Hopefully we have a decent monsoon this year to help ease the drought or else we could be in some deep sludge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona