Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:04 PM

496 posts, read 467,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I think 102 years ago in 1912 when Arizona and New Mexico both joined the union into statehood as the 47th and 48th states they probably had a lot more in common back then. Arizona has just had so much more modern day growth, particularly from the mid 20th century going forward. New Mexico is still old school Southwest, where as Arizona has been completely transformed through transient migration. It also seems like New Mexico is not even on the radar of most Arizonans. New Mexico feels more like a frontier state.

It was that old school Southwestern charm that attracted me to New Mexico, and as a New Englander myself the historical aspects of NM was something I particularly appreciated. New Mexico is a very low key state, more poverty and lower middle class and less keeping up with the Jones' appearances. It is a very friendly and laid back state, most people seem approachable. All the locals in New Mexico will tell you they have better Mexican food than Arizona. Their own variation of it, New Mexican food is based on green chile peppers (and spicy red chile sauce) and it's very locally celebrated and they put it on everything, eggs, pizza, enchiladas.

ABQ can be a fun base for a while if you're into road tripping. Santa Fe, one of the Southwests most interesting destinations for art, history, and culture is only an hour away. Santa Fe has a lot of character, the architecture is all pueblo revival and it was settled by the Spaniards in 1609. Taos has great mountain recreation with good summer hiking and winter skiing and it also has a lot of artistry and an old historic pueblo style plaza. White Sands is magnificent, never seen anyplace quite like it. Within a 4-5 hour drive are places like Durango and Telluride Colorado, and the San Juan range which is some of the most beautiful and impressive scenery in the Rockies. Flagstaff/Sedona, and Northern AZ are also accessible for long weekend getaways. Denver and Phoenix are a long drive, about 7 hours, so if ABQ doesn't stimulate your urban fulfillment, it's a very long drive to the next major metro area.

ABQ is a mid-sized metro area of about 900,000 and the city has some quirky Route 66 charm, though some of it is also very seedy. Nob Hill/UNM area is pretty eclectic with good dining choices. Old Town is cute and touristy and is the historical center of town. Downtown ABQ need improvement and feels rather derelict, and a good bulk of ABQ's layout is low rent commercial sprawl. There are some nice and scenic neighborhoods up in the Sandia foothills, and along the Rio Grand Bosque. As a medium sized metro it has all the basic retail necessities one could need, even Trader Joes, Whole Foods and an Apple Store. Higher end retailers such as Nordstrom or many specialty stores here fall short, and the closest real Outlet mall center is 4 hours away in El Paso. When a new chain restaurant like Dave and Busters or Claim Jumper opens it seems to be all the buzz, and many Burqueno's are content with the idea of Olive Garden rather than a more local and authentic option for Italian.

Either choice the OP makes is going to be a much better and easier climate than New Hampshire for sure. I find desert sunshine much easier to get along with than the atrocious winter weather back east, and I genuinely do feel a bit happier out here. New Mexico generally has a higher altitude than most of Arizona. In ABQ, summer pool weather in NM lasts about 5 months, June/July/August average highs are in the 90's, it cools down quite a bit more here at night, Winter is a mixed bag or short winter cold fronts, and back to balmy 50 degree days and chilly nights in the 20's and 30's, however it did hit the 70's this weekend. For the most part ABQ has a very agreeable four season climate. ABQ is usually on average about 15-25 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

I love living in the Southwest and I've been living in New Mexico for 2 years. I want to settle into the region but I can only echo other posters statements here whom have had experience with both states, opportunities are limited in NM. I need an upgrade, more job opportunities, and a bit more to aspire to, so my partner and I will be moving to Phoenix by the end of the year. Though NM is a beautiful state with a lot of interesting character, Arizona just has a whole lot more to do, a lot ore economic opportunity, and a lot less isolation. So I had a good run here, but I'm looking forward to living in Arizona.
I'm from northern VT. I so hate the winters; I'm already dreading it and we are just getting into fall weather. What type of adjustment was it for you to move to a totally different place than New England? My biggest fears: snakes and bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:33 PM

496 posts, read 467,050 times
Default Desperate to leave the cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I totally agree w/you! I actually wrote this to another OP a few days ago: That too many CD posters seem to believe they need to qualify their move to their parents, life long friends, church, boss, you name it...people feel they need to convince or defend their choice...It doesn't matter, truly, what other people think. It is your life, people! It's neither their business nor their choice, frankly. Unless you own a business or real estate with family and need to make direct decisions that affect them, you simply let them know your plans...and...NEXT. If you spend your years waiting for approval or justification, you may never get it, and you may end up delaying or preventing your growth, happiness, success, etc....You can't bring people along with you in your mind...They may choose to get on board with your ideas, but your job is to carry on with those ideas and plans that are right for you. The end.
So, what's holding me back? Family. I have a husband and 3 kids, my daughter is 22, my son is 18 (and in his 4th week of training to be a corrections officer) and my youngest son is 10. We live within10 minutes of my parents and across the road from my in-laws. They are very close to our 10 year old (their only biological grandchild).

I feel guilty when I think of moving away from them. How dare I take away their grandchild? How dare I take their little brother away from my two older kids? He doesn't want to move and leave his friends. I HATE winter so badly that I'm already dreading it and it's not even September yet. Am I being selfish to want to relocate for me?

Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
All depends on your new employment.
Get a living place with a short commute and avoid the traffic.

I prefer Tucson. Large enough but small enough.
If coming from New England the heat will be an issue. And lack of trees/forests. There is no ocean and yes there are lakes but not like New Hampshire.

If Phoenix I'd choose Gilbert, AZ to live. But that all depends on job location.

Bottom line. Get a place close to employment.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:23 PM

812 posts, read 795,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Bottom line. Get a place close to employment.
Excellent advice there. Commuting is not fun and it seems to get worse every year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona