Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 03:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I can't find the actual listing of who voted which way, which is important only for the House vote. which was evidently not a straight party line vote. The Senate vote was on a straight party line, so everyone should know how their senator voted.
Three Republicans — Ethan Orr, Kate Brophy-McGee and Heather Carter — voted against it.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
There is at least a culture of apathy towards right-wing extremism in Arizona that was not there 10 years ago. It is a significant shift that is not yet fully recognized, particularly by outsiders.
Having lived through the Evan Mecham era, I'm not sure that I agree with you.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:30 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Your attempts to equate the civil rights struggles over race with legitimizing sexual perversion are absurd.
Knuckle-draggers with your attitude about the GLBT community have the same mentality as the bigots who wanted to keep African Americans segregated 50 years ago.

Different times, different category of people, but it amounts to the same thing and that is civil rights and discriminaton.

People who fall under the category of GLBT are no more sexually perverted than anyone else. Where do you get the notion that they are?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Three Republicans — Ethan Orr, Kate Brophy-McGee and Heather Carter — voted against it.
At least there are three republicans with common sense, most of the others follow a straight party line whether a piece of legislation is good or bad for the state.

I know, the same can be said for democrats too but most democrats in the legislature are much more moderate than the militant ultraconservative republicans, probably because they are outnumbered.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:46 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Knuckle-draggers with your attitude about the GLBT community have the same mentality as the bigots who wanted to keep African Americans segregated 50 years ago.
I was part of the civil rights movement in the '60s because it was a righteous cause and worth fighting for. Gay "rights" is not righteous.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
I was part of the civil rights movement in the '60s because it was a righteous cause and worth fighting for. Gay "rights" is not righteous.
So you, and others, say. A growing number of others say otherwise.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:53 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,301 times
Quote:

Different times, different category of people, but it amounts to the same thing and that is civil rights and discriminaton.

People who fall under the category of GLBT are no more sexually perverted than anyone else. Where do you get the notion that they are?
This is the militant LGBT attitude that religious folks need to be protected from because God made each species to reproduce after their kind and 2 male or female cannot reproduce so they are acting in a manner that is a perversion of Gods designed order.

Your speech is hateful toward those who simply believe that God made man and women to replenish the earth, and anything that goes against that is a perversion of Gods perfect design and order.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:56 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,941 times
Quote:
At least there are three republicans with common sense, most of the others follow a straight party line whether a piece of legislation is good or bad for the state.

I know, the same can be said for democrats too but most democrats in the legislature are much more moderate than the militant ultraconservative republicans, probably because they are outnumbered.
All this nonsense started when the Republicans took over the executive in addition to the legislature. The radicalization was palpable from one month to the next. Given this history, the only way to keep radicalization in check is if the Democrats win at least one piece back. There is a reason why this (and probably any) country makes best progress with a split government. If this doesn't happen soon we will "live in interesting times" in Arizona for sure. I want so bad to go back to hiking and exploring this great state and its beautiful scenery in piece with my family again - this nonsense has to stop asap.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Good for you on contributing to a worthy cause back in the day.

But why do you believe gays and lesbians shouldn't also be granted the same civil rights?

That seems pretty phony to claim equality among the races is legitimate but the GLBT community isn't deserving of the same treatment. Are gays and lesbians non-human in your mind?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:59 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
So you, and others, say. A growing number of others say otherwise.
Actually, laws like this one are possibly an indication that a long overdue push back is beginning. Many states are writing marriage definitions into their constitutions. Eventualy it will culminate in a SCOTUS test of the 10th Amendment. I can't even speculate which way they will decide, but the real test will come if they rule against the states and the states refuse to comply. Then we will see what price people are prepared to pay for what they believe. 650,000 Americans died for what they believed about state's rights in the Civil War. How important are gay "rights" to Americans? Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona