Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,487 times

Advertisements

We are considering Arkansas or Arizona. Have done lots of research online and have narrowed it down to Mountain Home or Bella Vista in Arkansas
In Arizona down to Maricopa or Florence.
Housing acrually seems to be a little less expensive in Arizona now with the housing,mortgage mess.
We are having a problem finding new construction in the Arkansas areas mentioned under $160,000, but that price range is wide open with options in Arizona.
We have thought about the Az hot, vs the Arkansas humid.
Property taxes are about the same.
We would appreciate any thoughts and input as far as areas, prices, weather etc.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
We visited some friends living in Mountain Home, Arkansas last May. The scenery is beautiful around there, lots of green and fresh air. The homes we looked at for sale in the $160,000 range are equvilent to homes costing 4-5 times that much in the Phoenix Metro area. Going out for some great entertainment you need to go to Branson, about an hour or so away. Branson is great for entertainment. If you like boating and fishing, there is plenty in Mountain Home.
The drawback in AK is the wet, humid, and buggy at times. Our friends have lived there for about 15 years and love it. They are a retired couple originally from Atlanta GA. They like the peace and quiet, the serenity and the scenery of Mountain Home. Folks are more laid back and friendly there; not so urbanlike attitudes of the big cities.
We like the Phoenix area for its dryness and things to do here, but once and awhile it is nice to get away and see other areas of the country. Paradise is difficult to find like the ever mysterious 'money tree'.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I'll presume for retirement. It's a tough call. I have property in eastern Oklahoma on a lake, pretty similar looking to Mt. Home, and go around and around about which place I want to live. OK is green, but also nasty cold in winter, and like Nitram says humid, hot and buggy beyond belief in summer. I think on balance, AZ weather is better. The people are very friendly in OK, but also kind of nosy and intrusive for someone used to the anonymity of a large city. The green gets old because it blocks the views (you gotta be an long time westerner to appreciate that statement). There's little to do - Branson and Eureka Springs are not something you go to everyday. Even fishing gets boring if you can do it all the time. The big city has a lot more to offer if you have the time and money and interest to pursue it. OK/AR is centrally located so travel to other places is easier than AZ which is on a "corner" of the US. Prices of property are lower, but Mt. Home is not as good a bargain as most of AR is as the Cali's have discovered it. Mt. Home is also very old - median age must be above 50 - and lily white.

Personally, I am leaning toward OK and the laid back Ozark lifestyle. I need a change of pace from city life. But the decision is not easy at all.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:36 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,341,713 times
Default Will Take Arizona over Arkansas anyday

Hi... We have a Sister who married a guy from there.. so we tried Arkansas for 3 years. Conway, Arkansas. It was HORRIBLE! 100 to 110 with 75% to 100% humidity in the summers.. nasty. Would freeze our butts off in the winter months. Mesquitos, woodticks and fleas! So after 3 nasty years there, we moved back to Indiana. But now
We are trying to get things in order so we can relocate to Arizona. And with Conway with only a pop. of about 40,000... it is full of gangbangers. Littlerock was 45 miles S.E. of Conway. Good fishing in the Arkansas river though...

Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
[b]Hi... We have a Sister who married a guy from there.. so we tried Arkansas for 3 years. Conway, Arkansas. It was HORRIBLE! 100 to 110 with 75% to 100% humidity in the summers.. nasty.
100 to 110? LOLOL Riiiiiight. Try upper 80s and lower 90s. It might break 100 with the heat index, but thats with the humidity adjusted in, and that humidity is NOT 100%, try more like 80% at night, 50-70% (which is very high) during peak temps.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:30 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
100 to 110? LOLOL Riiiiiight. Try upper 80s and lower 90s. It might break 100 with the heat index, but thats with the humidity adjusted in, and that humidity is NOT 100%, try more like 80% at night, 50-70% (which is very high) during peak temps.
I know what you are saying but the humidity is really awful. I have been going for a few weeks each summer. There is usually fog (100%) in the early AM. Dewpoints in the low 70s all day. I have to laugh when the weather forecasts a "drying out" with dewpoints in the low 60s. Maybe for ppl who are used to the mugginess (OP is in TX - east?) it would be OK, but for anyone west of the Pecos, it takes some serious adjusting. There is a lot of shade, though, and the mornings feel cool in spite of the humidity. I also love the "freeze" you get in these muggy places when you come indoors or get into an air conditioned car. Brrrrrr... I look at the bugs and humidity as the price of all that greenery, lakes, rivers etc.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I know what you are saying but the humidity is really awful. I have been going for a few weeks each summer. There is usually fog (100%) in the early AM. Dewpoints in the low 70s all day. I have to laugh when the weather forecasts a "drying out" with dewpoints in the low 60s. Maybe for ppl who are used to the mugginess (OP is in TX - east?) it would be OK, but for anyone west of the Pecos, it takes some serious adjusting. There is a lot of shade, though, and the mornings feel cool in spite of the humidity. I also love the "freeze" you get in these muggy places when you come indoors or get into an air conditioned car. Brrrrrr... I look at the bugs and humidity as the price of all that greenery, lakes, rivers etc.
Trust me, Ive been in the south MANY times in summer (even lived there for one), I know how horrible it can get. Good thing is that it cools off at night, but then the humidity goes up too. I didnt find the nights that bad down there (FL, GA, AR), but the daytime sucked.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,491 times
I lived in Rogers AR which is right near Bella Vista AR for 7 years. I lived in Central AR for 17 years. We now live here in AZ. I will take AZ weather any day over AR. It does get very hot and humid up in the Bella Vista area. I have seem many upper 90's in summer time, add the humidity factor into that and it's well over 100 degrees. Winters do get pretty cold. Mosquito's, ticks, fleas, and other bugs are bad. NW Ar has gotten very expensive due to Wal Mart home office being there, and therefore all the vendors etc. moving to the area. It is the nicest part of AR in my opinion. I have been to Mountain Home several times. I do not like it because of lack of things to do. But if you like small city, and do not plan on "needing things to do" it may be the place for you. There are no nearby big cities to Mountain Home. There surrounding cities of Mountain Home I do not like at all because of it all being very prejudice. I am a white person by the way. But if you are a prejudice person then it may be the place for you. So it really depends on why you are moving...whether it is to retire etc..and what your likes are.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 AM

4 posts, read 15,510 times
I have lived in Lake Havasu city AZ.As well as rodgers Arkansas.I would rather be in Arkansas I loved it there.The people are very nice.Arizona is really hot and not as friendly and welcoming.Good luck!

Old 05-03-2019, 07:32 AM

421 posts, read 237,498 times
Bump. I'd be interested in some updated opinions- Phoenix/Mesa/Florence area of AZ compared to the Ward/Conway/Little Rock area of AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona