U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 AM

30 posts, read 95,210 times
Default What's outside Tucson?

I am not really interested in living in Tucson, but since I have family there, I would not want to be that far away. How far away up into the mountains would I have to go to find trees and such? And are their towns there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 11:22 AM

42,846 posts, read 53,017,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettsnow View Post
I am not really interested in living in Tucson, but since I have family there, I would not want to be that far away. How far away up into the mountains would I have to go to find trees and such? And are their towns there?
Perhaps you can consider Summerhaven:

http://www.azcentral.com/travel/ariz...haven0804.html

Mt. Lemmon, Summerhaven, Arizona, Vacation Rentals, Lodging, Accommodations, and Cabins

Old 07-02-2008, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,006 times
Thumbs up The Best Kept Secret in Arizona-Greer!

You might not think of Arizona when it comes to scenic mountain views, but northern Arizona has some of the best mountain wilderness in the country, particularly the rest town of <a href="http://www.GreerLodgeAz.com/">Visit Greer</a>. Home to some of the most luxurious mountain lodges in Arizona, Greer boasts all four seasons, a myriad of outdoor activities, and even skiing during the winter! As of right now, the Summer High Temps are in the 70's with some light showers. Enjoy rustic elegance and a relaxing atmosphere in the best kept secret town of Greer, Arizona!
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/anfgurl35/DSC00959.jpg (broken link)
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/anfgurl35/VillageofGreerFromNorth.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-02-2008, 06:22 PM

27,801 posts, read 20,160,144 times
Not going to be a secret anymore....great photos.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:53 PM

17 posts, read 25,505 times
About 23 miles south of Tucson (or about 80 miles from Mexico) there is a GREAT (GREEN) town called Green Valley that is an "Over 55" community. You can pay a fee of about $250 per year and have access to 10 0r 12 golf courses and 6 or 8 community centers (pools, activities, crafts) for free. So many golf courses (GRASS) that are maintained for you and cut down on the dust. And beautiful, staggering mountain views all around. Google the town and go from there. Have stayed there and loved it.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 4,433,420 times
Tucson is desert country and there are no small, forested or green towns in close proximity. There are some very pretty desert areas nearby but not mountains...not with a 20 minute drive anyway. You have to go quite a ways to find a mountain community.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:23 AM

422 posts, read 800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettsnow View Post
Summerhaven on top of Mt. Lemmon as mentioned in another post. Also, the towns of San Manuel and Oracle, the Foothills and Tanque Verde areas of Tucson.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:02 PM

2,916 posts, read 4,988,505 times
Indeed! At Summerhaven, about 26 miles and 8000' up in the Catalina Mountains (Mt Lemmon), you'll find refuge from the summer heat.

Complete with a ski lodge for the times when snows are available! Its a great place to ride the ski lift up the mountain. You can then walk the trails and see ladybugs and hummingbirds, and then come back down and enjoy an excellent salad or more at the restaurant. Yum.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:41 PM

2,203 posts, read 6,013,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreerAZ View Post
You might not think of Arizona when it comes to scenic mountain views, but northern Arizona has some of the best mountain wilderness in the country, particularly the rest town of <a href="http://www.GreerLodgeAz.com/">Visit Greer</a>. Home to some of the most luxurious mountain lodges in Arizona, Greer boasts all four seasons, a myriad of outdoor activities, and even skiing during the winter! As of right now, the Summer High Temps are in the 70's with some light showers. Enjoy rustic elegance and a relaxing atmosphere in the best kept secret town of Greer, Arizona!
Sorry, GreerAZ, as much as I love Greer, it is a loooong ways from Tucson. Nice advertising photos, though.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:40 PM

153 posts, read 335,330 times
Greer's no secret, about $500K for a small home. Tubac is pretty cool and just 30-40 minutes south of Tucson and 20 minutes from Mexico (where you can't go right now until the drug lords finish their war). Even Green Valley isn't too bad- very close to Tucson but mostly an older than 60 crowd. Benson- well Baxter Black loves it, but its pretty podunk. Now Bisbee, while it is a raging hippie ville, is a really cool place about 2 hours away. Fun and interesting but not too cheap either. All of these places have "trees" and are "cooler" than Tucson, but not that cool below 6,000 feet .

If you go north of Tucson, you could check our Oro Valley or Catalina (on the northern fringes of Tucson) or maybe Pinal County, which is simply the burbs between Tucson and Phoenix. Mt. Lemmon is very nice, but small and isolated 45 minutes up the hill from Tucson and subject to blizzard closures.

West of Tucson - ahhh- kind of hot and rocky and lots of very independent folks and trailervilles, but this side of town also has some great homes and values too. Check out Kinney Road.

Mostly, if you like a "country" or "out in the desert" feel, and you are OK with small trees and about a 5-10 degree cooler temperature, then anything above 3500 feet within an hour or two of Tucson will be interesting. Villages like Tubac and Bisbee are my picks. If you need pines- Mt. lemmon or Flagstaff, but get out your credit card.

Last edited by New West 2020; 08-27-2009 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona