Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 08:34 AM

30 posts, read 51,876 times

Advertisements

My Wife and I are planning to spend a couple months in AZ. (Jan and FEB)
Any thoughts about the Cottonwood area at that time of the year?
How about stuff for outdoor type people to do, would this be a good choice.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 10:53 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Have you read this post in the City by City thread?

The Verde Valley

Old 04-15-2014, 01:17 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
It'll be really cold in Cottonwood in JAN and FEB. The Verde should be freezing.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,493 times
We get some winter visitors in the area, but not too many because it does get cold. There is a lot of hiking opportunities in the area as well as lots of forest roads if you are into 4 wheeling. I have done both during the winter, but it isn't quite as nice as the warmer months.

Curly

Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 AM

Thanks everyone.
We live in North Central MT, so your coldest will be balmy to us. The first year we plan to explore, maybe stay a day or two here and there. We're not interested in the bigger city stuff. We love the barren countryside, nature, scenery and lots of public land to hike around in.
I have 2 bird dogs so maybe some quail hunting.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCreek View Post
Thanks everyone.
We live in North Central MT, so your coldest will be balmy to us. The first year we plan to explore, maybe stay a day or two here and there. We're not interested in the bigger city stuff. We love the barren countryside, nature, scenery and lots of public land to hike around in.
I have 2 bird dogs so maybe some quail hunting.
Wrong time of year and not near the Verde River, but you might look at this area some other trip:

Welcome to Arizona Road Adventures

Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
> It'll be really cold in Cottonwood in JAN and FEB. The Verde should be freezing.

Not sure the writer has ever BEEN in Cottonwood in the winter.

Typically it is pleasant during the day, hiking is comfortable with a jacket and maybe even without on warmer days. It can be cloudy and if so it will be cooler. Sedona- at a higher elevation- can get snow in the winter and it may even last for a morning in the valley.

Nightime will be cold and usually below freezing.

There is climate information posted on the web; however be careful you are not looking at data for the nearest large city- Flagstaff.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:32 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> It'll be really cold in Cottonwood in JAN and FEB. The Verde should be freezing.

Not sure the writer has ever BEEN in Cottonwood in the winter.

Typically it is pleasant during the day, hiking is comfortable with a jacket and maybe even without on warmer days. It can be cloudy and if so it will be cooler. Sedona- at a higher elevation- can get snow in the winter and it may even last for a morning in the valley.

Nightime will be cold and usually below freezing.

There is climate information posted on the web; however be careful you are not looking at data for the nearest large city- Flagstaff.
I've lived here in Cottonwood since 1999. I live 10 minutes walk from the Verde River. I've never seen it frozen. I play golf every week, all year round, with a group, and even in Jan. Feb. we get our round in. It's not that cold. But nighttime is cold and below freezing, as mentioned.

That overview of The Verde Valley was my very first post on C-D, over 5 years ago. If I wrote it now, I would refrain from being so opinionated about certain areas and venues. I've learned a lot about the internet since then.
I'm still in awe of the Verde River, Mingus, Jerome, Fossil Creek, Sycamore Canyon, and Sedona as I ever was. I haven't scratched the surface of experiencing what there was before and what is now.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 AM

I appreciate everyone taking the time to give information.
First thing I did of course was check on Winter conditions in the Cottonwood area. We sure don't want snow and cold.
Average Jan High is 58 low is 30. Feb is 60 and 30.
Guess it will at times be 75 and 25.
Lots of sunshine and not much precipe. Cooler temps are nice for hiking etc.
Phoenix area is 67 and 46 for Jan.
Getting first hand information is nice. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona