Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:26 PM

106 posts, read 246,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbyzero0 View Post
It's too late. Even I think AZ should be on UTC-8 Year round (back an hour).
Who wants to be daylight at 7pm++ with 100++ degrees?
That wouldn't do much good at all, we'd be one hour behind the west coast for 2/3 of the year, and considering how confused people are about AZ time already, imagine how many people would die from the mental stress of trying to figure out why a Californian going East towards Arizona would lose an hour. More than those that die of heat stroke at 7pm, that's for sure.

Also that would be awful in winter, the sun would set around 4:15pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 AM

487 posts, read 748,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctacity View Post
Also that would be awful in winter, the sun would set around 4:15pm.
You can move to Chicago if you want that. I get off of work at 3:00, and the sun is so low as I drive home that I can hardly see the road!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 PM

31 posts, read 21,860 times
IMO, why are some trying to make it a big deal? IT ISN'T A BIG DEAL!

So we don't change - so what. I don't have to change the clocks twice a year.

Get over it.

Please .....

Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,143 times
I miss AZ and the lack of DST there. I've always been an early riser, summers in AZ were wonderful.

Its all what you're used to, and a little secret - it doesn't matter in the least!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 PM

296 posts, read 364,192 times
Personally I'm so glad that Arizona doesn't follow DST. I've lived in areas most of my life that followed it and it really is disruptive!

But honestly, I believe that the best thing is to look at the practice for the greater good. In this case, there is a lot of evidence as indicated by the article that Paulie posted that the nation shouldn't follow DST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post

There are far more legitimate reasons for doing away with it as cited in this piece.Time to Move On? The Case Against Daylight Saving Time

From the article, based on studies, DST would be an energy loser for Arizona.

Quote:
"Everywhere there is air conditioning, our evidence suggests that daylight saving is a loser," Wolff said.

"If you don't have air conditioning, it could be a slight energy winner, but not overall in the United States. In 2007 we extended DST by one month in the U.S., and in that one month it turned out to be basically a zero-impact event."
DST has a negative impact on health.

Quote:
A 2012 study by University of Alabama at Birmingham's Martin Young found that the risk of heart attack surges by 10 percent on the Monday and Tuesday after moving the clocks ahead an hour each spring.
People have a hard time adjusting to DST.

Quote:

His [Till Roenneberg, a chronobiologist at Ludwig-Maximilians University in Munich, Germany] research suggests that the human body's circadian clock, kept in tune by light and darkness, never adjusts to the changing chronology of DST.

"The consequence of that is that the majority of the population has drastically decreased productivity, decreased quality of life, increasing susceptibility to illness, and is just plain tired," Roenneberg told National Geographic in 2010.
Included in the article are also other groups that object to DST including farmers, parents with school age children, religious groups, and the TV industry.

There doesn't seem to be a true benefit for Arizona to adopt DST, but there does seem to be clear benefits for the rest of the country abandoning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona