Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:28 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times

Advertisements

You will find bees, wasps and hornets over most of the state including Tucson. Honeybees are attracted to water and sugary products. I've seen them going thru trashcans with leftover pastries plenty of times. Never seen them inside a restaurant. I have seen them at outdoor eating areas of restaurants. Never considered them aggressive. I don't know anybody here who considers them a problem unless they're allergic.

The only thing that makes africanized bees more aggressive is the number of bees they send after you when you tick off the hive. They are quicker to tick off as well. Their sting doesn't hurt more nor is their poison more toxic. I heard a long time before they moved into Arizona that more people died of bee stings each year than rattlesnakes, spiders and scorpions. Even then I don't think the number is large.

My boss has a hive he got while they were swarming. They are probably africanized. He has been stung a few times while working them but no multiple attacks, just individual attacks. He didn't requeen the hive and is getting honey out of it.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
I highly doubt it as I tend to wear darker colors and a hat. But yeah, I've been to Tucson and it was a nice place. So there's nothing as mean as Hornets or Yellow Jackets there?
No Bee Expert here, however . . .

I relocated to Tucson in the late 90's and have yet to be bothered by any critter from that group.

In fact, I am always amazed at how few critters overall, both flying and crawling.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:09 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I've lived in central AZ since 1963, and though they do exist have yet to encounter a killer bee. Have seen lot's of honey bees and carpenter bees and as long as you don't bother them they won't bother you. A bee keeper is your best friend if you see them and don't want them around. We need them, they're essential to our life.
The only thing I've ever encountered that bit me and really hurt was that damned 'jumping cholla', ouch...

Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I've lived in central AZ since 1963, and though they do exist have yet to encounter a killer bee. Have seen lot's of honey bees and carpenter bees and as long as you don't bother them they won't bother you. A bee keeper is your best friend if you see them and don't want them around. We need them, they're essential to our life.
The only thing I've ever encountered that bit me and really hurt was that damned 'jumping cholla', ouch...
BEAUTIFULLY STATED, Wit-Nit.

Good ole Common Sense goes a long way when critters of any type are involved.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 PM

403 posts, read 666,828 times
Quote:
There's a carpenter bees nest here by my apartment, and they're like impossible to get rid of as more keep coming. Despite the fact that they're louder than bumble bees, at least they're passive and would rarely ever sting anybody.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:26 PM

^^^Carpenter bees have no stingers, they can't and don't sting.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:34 PM

403 posts, read 666,828 times
Quote:
^^^Carpenter bees have no stingers, they can't and don't sting.
The males can't sting, but the females have stingers (although you'd practically have to try for a while to anger one for it to sting you, but it's hard to do so).

Old 05-07-2014, 05:09 PM

True the female carpenters have obscure stingers, but they are so docile and busy keeping their male partners busy unless you personally break up that relationship your chances are nil from getting a sting.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:41 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,895 times
I guess I don't have a phobia about bees...I just go about my business and they go about theirs....probably why I seldom get stung. Now if I were allergic it would be a different story altogether.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:21 PM

6 posts, read 8,867 times
I live in Queen Creek and very rarely see wasps or hornets (maybe at the pool). To my knowledge, I've never seen a Killer Bee. From what i understand, they look just like honeybees, they're just super aggressive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona