Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times

Advertisements

All wild honey bees in AZ are Africanized Honey Bees aka "killer bees".

Old 05-19-2014, 01:49 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
All wild honey bees in AZ are Africanized Honey Bees aka "killer bees".
I would imagine that a lot of the bees people run into around their yard and other urban and suburban areas are actually not wild bees but from hives kept by bee keepers for agriculture.

I don't know about the east valley but out here I see bee boxes everywhere and lots of bees buzzing around and just assume that is where the bees are coming from I have in my yard and I'm happy to have them.

I'm not an expert though.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I would imagine that a lot of the bees people run into around their yard and other urban and suburban areas are actually not wild bees but from hives kept by bee keepers for agriculture.

I don't know about the east valley but out here I see bee boxes everywhere and lots of bees buzzing around and just assume that is where the bees are coming from I have in my yard and I'm happy to have them.

I'm not an expert though.
Really? I guess I never thought about that. I always figured the ones buzzing around anytime I step foot in my pool have a natural hive nearby and are not someone's "pets". Maybe I'm wrong but I really can't see any of my neighbors way up here in Scottsdaleburbia keeping bees. I wonder if my HOA would even allow it.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:01 PM

Lol, you're definitely a city dweller.

They are not "pet bees" and not being kept in your HOA. Professional bee keepers raise them at their bee farm and truck the boxes (hives) to people who pay them to use their bees to pollinate fruit, vegetables or other crops. If there is anything grown near Scottsdale then people are using bees provided by beekeepers.

They are all over out here in the west valley. You have not seen those stacks of white bee boxes anywhere in your travels?

Old 05-19-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Lol, you're definitely a city dweller.

They are not "pet bees" and not being kept in your HOA. Professional bee keepers raise them at their bee farm and truck the boxes (hives) to people who pay them to use their bees to pollinate fruit, vegetables or other crops. If there is anything grown near Scottsdale then people are using bees provided by beekeepers.

They are all over out here in the west valley. You have not seen those stacks of white bee boxes anywhere in your travels?
I guess I never paid attention. I was thinking you meant that maybe a hobby beekeeper had a hive box or two in his backyard, which I guess is a slight possibility.

There's really no agriculture up here unless someone is farming rocks or cacti. The closest agriculture that I can think if would be the cotton fields on the reservation at Indian Bend and the 101 and that's a good 8-10 miles away from me. I think it's a safe bet that any bees around here are wild ones, unfortunately.

As much as I don't like them, I must admit that they don't seem to be the least bit aggressive. They seem to be unable to judge the surface of the water as a lot end up drowning. I do wish they'd get the picture and find a different, safer watering hole.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I guess I never paid attention. I was thinking you meant that maybe a hobby beekeeper had a hive box or two in his backyard, which I guess is a slight possibility.

There's really no agriculture up here unless someone is farming rocks or cacti. The closest agriculture that I can think if would be the cotton fields on the reservation at Indian Bend and the 101 and that's a good 8-10 miles away from me. I think it's a safe bet that any bees around here are wild ones, unfortunately.

As much as I don't like them, I must admit that they don't seem to be the least bit aggressive. They seem to be unable to judge the surface of the water as a lot end up drowning. I do wish they'd get the picture and find a different, safer watering hole.
Bees are definitely used to grow cotton but that would be a long way for bees to be traveling especially in Arizona heat.

I don't think they are not judging the surface as they actually land on the water to get the drink and then fly away. Sometimes the little air pocket between them and the surface pops (normally due to water moving) and then they get water logged and can't lift themselves out of the water.

They seem to attempt it less when the water is moving in my pool. I can watch tons of them dipping water but once I turn on the filter it seems to cut down on a lot of them.

These are the bee boxes that can be seen wherever pollinated crops are grown.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Bees are definitely used to grow cotton but that would be a long way for bees to be traveling especially in Arizona heat.

I don't think they are not judging the surface as they actually land on the water to get the drink and then fly away. Sometimes the little air pocket between them and the surface pops (normally due to water moving) and then they get water logged and can't lift themselves out of the water.

They seem to attempt it less when the water is moving in my pool. I can watch tons of them dipping water but once I turn on the filter it seems to cut down on a lot of them.
Ahhh that makes sense about them getting waterlogged. I wonder if a chemical that my pool guy put in has changed the water's surface tension, catching them off guard. The ones that get their water from the patio or the tile, fly away just fine. Those that land on the water seem to never be able to get out.

I'll try running the filter next time I get in to see if that helps. I never see them around the pool unless it's being used. I think the water that gets splashed on the patio and on the waterline tile attracts them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona