U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:38 PM

2,620 posts, read 3,609,130 times
Default If ya don't like it. . . . .

My philosophy is that if you dislike a place so much that you feel the need to bash it, then move! I lived north of Phoenix and didn't like the heat, nor the critters...but, instead of bashing the state, I moved.

I don't dislike AZ...and don't see the point of putting down the state or the residents just because it wasn't want I was looking for.

There's no law that says we have to live anywhere; so why stay if you're not happy?

Old 12-16-2007, 12:42 PM

1,486 posts, read 3,001,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
My philosophy is that if you dislike a place so much that you feel the need to bash it, then move! I lived north of Phoenix and didn't like the heat, nor the critters...but, instead of bashing the state, I moved.

I don't dislike AZ...and don't see the point of putting down the state or the residents just because it wasn't want I was looking for.

There's no law that says we have to live anywhere; so why stay if you're not happy?
I don't live in Arizona anymore. That doesn't mean I can't post on a website I found previously.

Anyway, I was merely giving my support to an earlier poster who got torn apart by the regulars on the site for stating the obvious. When I was criticized I responded accordingly. You're free to comment on or criticize my statements if you disagree.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I don't live in Arizona anymore. That doesn't mean I can't post on a website I found previously.

Anyway, I was merely giving my support to an earlier poster who got torn apart by the regulars on the site for stating the obvious. When I was criticized I responded accordingly. You're free to comment on or criticize my statements if you disagree.
????? I have no idea what you are referring to. My comments were about anyone who bashes a place and residents. I have not read your posting, so don't know where you're coming from.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:27 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,076,622 times
Quote:
Hah, hah.

What I am saying is that places where residents make a concerted effort to improve their community or keep their community appealing are the most desirable places to visit/live. This shouldn't be a surprise as the same thing happens on a local scale within a community (e.g. driving down a street where people don't mow their lawns or park their cars in their yard isn't very appealing).

Certain communities sacrifice things (yes sacrifice) to keep the place aesthetically pleasing and thus the quality of life higher. Washington D.C., for example, could have built a series of large freeways through the center of the city in the 1970's as most other large American cities at the time were doing. Instead, the city made a choice to build the Metro system to protect city neighborhoods that are so often destroyed by freeways (just look at Detroit). This is part of the reason D.C. is an appealing place to live and, frankly, it shows in the real estate prices in and around the city. Some will call this NIMBY (which of course has a negative connotation) but I think it is a positive.
Hold on there; DC west of Rock Creek Park is decent--------there are still plenty of sketchy enclaves in that city.

Admittedly; things may be getting better (I left there in 1978) but, I have heard nothing about a boom in especially SE.

The above coming from a Wash DC native who finally went home here in the Golden West.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:34 PM

1,486 posts, read 3,001,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Hold on there; DC west of Rock Creek Park is decent--------there are still plenty of sketchy enclaves in that city.

Admittedly; things may be getting better (I left there in 1978) but, I have heard nothing about a boom in especially SE.

The above coming from a Wash DC native who finally went home here in the Golden West.
Things have changed A LOT since 1978. Capital Hill is becoming a boom area with many of the townhomes being redeveloped. This includes along East Capital and South Capital. Adams Morgan is booming with plenty of development. U Street is becoming hot again.

There are of course still sketchy areas of DC. The crime rate in some areas is horrendous. But unlike in some cities with high crime rates (Detroit comes to mind) there are still areas in DC that have very little crime and extremely high property appreciation.

But, I am glad you like Arizona. Hot climate, sunshine and lack of snow seems to be very important to you so it seems like you are in an excellent place. As I stated previously, my dislike is largely contained to Phoenix and the southern parts of the state.

Katie45-

You made the general statement after my post so I can only assume. But, if I was being presumptuous, I am sorry.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Things have changed A LOT since 1978. Capital Hill is becoming a boom area with many of the townhomes being redeveloped. This includes along East Capital and South Capital. Adams Morgan is booming with plenty of development. U Street is becoming hot again.

There are of course still sketchy areas of DC. The crime rate in some areas is horrendous. But unlike in some cities with high crime rates (Detroit comes to mind) there are still areas in DC that have very little crime and extremely high property appreciation.

But, I am glad you like Arizona. Hot climate, sunshine and lack of snow seems to be very important to you so it seems like you are in an excellent place. As I stated previously, my dislike is largely contained to Phoenix and the southern parts of the state.

Katie45-

You made the general statement after my post so I can only assume. But, if I was being presumptuous, I am sorry.
Thanks for the heads-up.

I am familiar with the obscene property appreciation in Arlington as well-------used to live near Lee Hwy/Glebe Rd (Livingston Heights, ZIP 22207) as a teenager. My folks bought a 1930's home there for something like $33K in 1969------said house today would likely go for at least $500K!

And; I have heard horror stories about Detroit as well.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Katie45-

No problem!! Thank you.

Last edited by katie45; 12-16-2007 at 06:58 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 08:34 AM

235 posts, read 598,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
So basically, what irwin is saying is that he likes Arizona as long as it is picture perfect for him driving through. Boutique towns, tourist traps, trophy homes = good. Real places where real people live from all walks of life = bad. Ok, I get it now.
Perfect

Also, suggesting that Sedona has shown any self imposed restraint in it's growth is funny and suggests ignorance of the area. Towns like Sedona and Flagstaff are just bumping into the boundaries of the forest service land that surrounds them.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:12 AM

2,595 posts, read 1,939,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
What part of Michigan did you live in? Only 2-3 months of bad weather? I live in Michigan - have my whole life. It's been cold since the middle of October and we won't be getting any "good" weather until the middle of April. Hmmmm, let's see . . . it's more like 6 months of crappy weather! Give me AZ any day!!!
I lived in Port Huron December through February. Usually November was decent and most of March was decent. Then again, I like cooler temperatures. In AZ the crappy weather is 6 months of 100 degrees or more in temperature and the fact that if you want to do anything outside you need several gallons of water.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I lived in Port Huron December through February. Usually November was decent and most of March was decent. Then again, I like cooler temperatures. In AZ the crappy weather is 6 months of 100 degrees or more in temperature and the fact that if you want to do anything outside you need several gallons of water.
Maybe you and Stumblina can swap houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona