Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 AM

30 posts, read 80,312 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.

For several years, I lived in Northern Maine. I love the woods and the wilderness, and exploring New England, but there were also some parts I didn't enjoy as much. For one, there were absolutely no people around. Now I don't need to live in a big city (wouldn't want to) but I would like at least a little bit of population close by so I can meet new people and go out and do things. The second thing I didn't like a lot was that once the snow started falling in October, it stayed the entire winter all the way through April and just kept accumulating. I love getting out and hiking and backpacking and exploring, but sometimes it was disheartening when it was -25 outside with six feet of snow. It was such a hassle to put all my gear on and pack everything I need, and then walk 1/2 mile an hour through super deep snow. I just want to take a walk, for God's sake!

Anyway, long story short. Here is what my priorities are for a new place to live:

1. Access to wilderness areas (National Parks, National Forests, hiking, backpacking, adventure sports, etc.)
2. Not super snowy and cold. I don't mind SOME snow and cold, but I don't want to live in a place where the snow accumulates throughout the winter and doesn't melt for six months.
3. At least some people nearby (As in, a town of at least several thousand, OR I could live in a smaller town if there was a decent town (10,000+) fairly close by.
4. At least some young-ish people around (20s and 30s). I don't want to live in a retirement community...

Other than that, I'm not really picky.

So let's hear it, Arizona experts. What towns would be best for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 10:28 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
towns out here are more far-flung...not as many as close to each other as back east....

obvious choice based on your requests is Flagstaff...it'll snow there a few times each year, but will be mostly cold and sunny in the winter....with our low humidity, very nice in the sun and remarkably colder in shady areas...snow will linger in north-facing, shady areas for several weeks.....very nice in the summer

some will suggest Prescott and that's a close second, in my opinion.....not quite as many 20-somethings, but they are there.....

many other choices exist....access to outdoor areas is very easy all over the state as most of it (and the west in general) is public land....very different from the east

if weather remains a big concern, draw a line diagonally across the state from the NW to SE corners....NE side of the line will, generally, be nice in the summer and cold in the winter.....SW side of the line will be hot in the summer and nice in the winter.....local variations, of course....

Old 05-23-2014, 10:34 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
I second Flagstaff. There just aren't large groupings of young singles except in the three major metros, and Flag is the smallest and is considered to be an outdoor mecca.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:32 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,015 times
Like to hike...check out Safford, 35,000 folks in the area and fantastic outdoor opportunities.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:48 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Payson or Show Low and vicinity have good outdoor opportunities. The average age is higher than your range but there are some younger people too.

Sedona, Cottonwood, and other cities nearby would be warmer (and maybe younger?). Easy to get to Flagstaff for nightlife except for certain times in winter.

Flagstaff can get a lot of snow.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 7,144 times
I'd have to vote for Flagstaff as well. While Flag can get a lot of snow (a good winter can rival Syracuse and that area in New York) it is totally different than New England winters. Other than cold nights. First the winter days are predominantly sunny and Temps average around 40°F. Flag will get big storms and then it will start to melt the next day. The summers are gorgeous. As an outdoor base of operations it just can't be beat. There are more things to do from the town's own urban trail system to multiple National Parks and wilderness area for a weekend getaway.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:19 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,076 times
Just move to Colorado, man... It sounds like a perfect place for you.
Check out Golden, CO.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
In Arizona, Safford, Clifton, Show Low, Springerville, and the areas surrounding those towns. Can you take the heat? Then check out towns along the Colorado River from Kingman to Yuma, also Sierra Vista.

OTOH, I think Flavia84 has a point too. Look around Colorado. Lots to choose from there.

This is all assuming you can find a job in one of these areas. If you can't support yourself life is going to be miserable no matter where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona