Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:39 PM

33 posts, read 41,595 times

Advertisements

Essentially most people recommended I moved to Arizona versus California based on the criteria I was attempting to meet. My girlfriend and I are trying to find a nice place to move to from Massachusetts. We are looking for a recommendation as to where in Arizona we can have the majority of the things we are looking for:

1. Nice and sunny!
I want hot and sunny everyday. I hate overcast days.

2. Gun Friendly!
We both want to be able to carry what we want either open or concealed. Mass and Cali both suck for this.

3. Close to nature beauty.
We want places to explore and adventure and experience New England is very boring.

4. Offroading/Classic Cars
We both drive Jeeps and want a offroading paradise and a car/vehicle culture.

5. Palm Trees!
I specifically want palm trees all around me, Palm Trees and cacti!

6. Access to water
I grew up in South Rhode Island, so being away from the beach will hurt, but I think with a nice pool plus a river or lake nearby I can make do.

7. Job Market
I am a Business Major and my girlfriend has a BA in Biology. We are young professionals looking for a nice area to work. 45 min commute one way is max for us.

8. Low cost of living/low crime
California is a joke lets say that. I'd like to actually be able to build a nice 401k and buy a house.

With that information please recommend an area that would be close to matching our interests. We know the weather is hot, and we are prepared for it. Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,737 times
Phoenix sounds perfect for you...or the suburbs.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Born and raised in Massachusetts and have lived in Arizona for 15 years. It's home now! I think you can meet all the items on your list here in Arizona. I saw where you wanted to be near water. While we don't have an ocean, we do have lakes I believe would satisfy your need to be around water.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Born and raised in Massachusetts and have lived in Arizona for 15 years. It's home now! I think you can meet all the items on your list here in Arizona. I saw where you wanted to be near water. While we don't have an ocean, we do have lakes I believe would satisfy your need to be around water.
Are there lakes or rivers around Phoenix

Old 05-28-2014, 01:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
There are some lakes within a relatively short drive, Lake Pleasant north of Phoenix, and Saguaro and Bartlett Lakes northeast of the Valley. Those would be fine for water recreation.. Rivers? Well, this is a desert, with mostly dry river beds in the Valley. To the northeast, the Salt and Verde Rivers do have water in them, in varying amounts depending on the season. Thsi time of year, you will find folks floating down them in inner tubes.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchy_Boy View Post
Are there lakes or rivers around Phoenix
As Observer 53 stated. We have a number of lakes
within a relatively short drive of Phoenix. You won't find the creeks and streams like you would in Mass as this is a desert. However, those things can be found in places like Payson, Prescott, Sedona and Flagstaff, to name a few.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:16 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,092,454 times
For #2 alone would totally nix California. As for your #4, yes, you will find Arizona to be quite the offroading paradise. Along any highway in AZ, you will find a few dirt roads that just go off to ????? and make you want to find out.

You might want to get Charles Wells' book, "Arizona Backroads and 4-wheel drive trails", plus there's a huge online AZ Jeep club that has lots of info, pics, group runs, all kinds of stuff. There's some real nice folks there. And it doesn't cost to join. It's at Virtual Jeep Club .

good luck

Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 PM

Thanks everyone! Looking at the house costs [can you say cheap?] I can get a nice pool and if I am say a short drive from a lake for some summer fun then that should suffice my need to be near water. I have seen that there are tons and tons of off-road places to explore! It looks like a beautiful area to be in. How is the job market for white collar business jobs or the scientific industry?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 PM

106 posts, read 246,752 times
Looks like your describing the Phoenix Metro area

1. Nice and sunny!
Even for a Native Californian, Phoenix is way sunnier and cloudless than L.A.

2. Gun Friendly!
You should not have a huge problem with doing this.

Drive an hour and a half north and already you're surrounded by lush palm trees and gorgeous green mountains, a stark contrast to the desert scenery.

Don't know much about that...

5. Palm Trees (and Cacti)!
So...Many...Palm Trees...and...Cacti.

6. Access to water
Tempe has a lake, and there's a few bodies of water around an hour away. The nearest coastline is around 4 hours away (in Puerto Penasco, Sonora) and San Diego & L.A. are each about 5-6 hours away.

7. Job Market
Plenty of jobs

Low cost of living everywhere except for Scottsdale. Gilbert and Surprise are among the top 10 safest cities in the U.S.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctacity View Post
Looks like your describing the Phoenix Metro area

1. Nice and sunny!
Even for a Native Californian, Phoenix is way sunnier and cloudless than L.A.

2. Gun Friendly!
You should not have a huge problem with doing this.

Drive an hour and a half north and already you're surrounded by lush palm trees and gorgeous green mountains, a stark contrast to the desert scenery.

Don't know much about that...

5. Palm Trees (and Cacti)!
So...Many...Palm Trees...and...Cacti.

6. Access to water
Tempe has a lake, and there's a few bodies of water around an hour away. The nearest coastline is around 4 hours away (in Puerto Penasco, Sonora) and San Diego & L.A. are each about 5-6 hours away.

7. Job Market
Plenty of jobs

Low cost of living everywhere except for Scottsdale. Gilbert and Surprise are among the top 10 safest cities in the U.S.
I've been told that the eastern area of phoenix is better than the western side, any thoughts on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona