Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:21 PM

397 posts, read 656,213 times

Advertisements

I've been going through the azdot website trying to find how to get an 18 year old a drivers license and can't seem to get a straight answer from the site. For a 18 year old that has not had a license what is the complete process. As I think I understand it's like this:

1. Get an operators permit - this requires passing a written and vision test.
2. Complete 30 hours of supervised practice with 10 at night - how is this documented, do they take our word for it? Also as I understand taking a driver ed course is acceptable also. How much are these courses?
3. Take a driving test - is there a certain period of time you have to wait after you get a permit before you can do this? Can someone get a permit, do the 30 hours of practice and take the test a few weeks later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 PM

44,549 posts, read 61,257,045 times
Try this site and see if it answers your questions.

Arizona Drivers Permits - AZ Learner's Permit Online Guide at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Old 07-20-2014, 10:43 PM

I had checked there also but again it wasn't that clear, it assumes you are a under 18 teen driver and the requirements and restrictions are different than if you are 18. If you are 18 you don't need a Graduated license. Also it says nothing about how you document the 30 hours. Digging around I found this though:

"AZ does not require that adult applicants hold a permit prior to applying; however, if this is your first time getting licensed anywhere, you’ll need a permit to practice."

This sounds like if you are 18 you don't even need a permit to get a license unless you want to practice. So I guess those 30 hours don't matter and the only thing that matters is that you can pass the road test.

How does insurance work with practice drivers that only have a permit? Does the learner need to be added to a policy to practice?

Old 07-20-2014, 10:49 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,164,129 times
Yeah, you basically have it. They take your word that you have provided the necessary hours of instruction.

After I taught my son how to drive and gave him the required instruction hours I paid for a driving instructor to teach him and take him for additional driving instruction. I wanted to make sure I had not missed anything and it also allowed him to skip the MVD driving test and just take the written test and get his license.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,214,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
I had checked there also but again it wasn't that clear, it assumes you are a under 18 teen driver and the requirements and restrictions are different than if you are 18. If you are 18 you don't need a Graduated license. Also it says nothing about how you document the 30 hours. Digging around I found this though:

"AZ does not require that adult applicants hold a permit prior to applying; however, if this is your first time getting licensed anywhere, you’ll need a permit to practice."

This sounds like if you are 18 you don't even need a permit to get a license unless you want to practice. So I guess those 30 hours don't matter and the only thing that matters is that you can pass the road test.

How does insurance work with practice drivers that only have a permit? Does the learner need to be added to a policy to practice?
I would ask your insurance agent about the insurance issue. You likely need to add another driver, which will raise your premium .

Old 07-20-2014, 10:57 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,805,227 times
I know youre in Az but here is how it worked for in OH (18yrs old).
I called the DMV and asked how to get my license for the first time. They told me I am not required to do driving school but i need a permit then take the written/driving test. There was no time limit for the permit to license. I did not have to document anything for the permit but i know kids under 18 had to have their parents or driving instructor write it down and sign off. For insurance under a permit you could be covered under the drivers insurance as you have to be with a licensed/insured driver anyway.

That was 10yrs ago so it might be slightly different but I hope it helps sort of answer in some way.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 PM

Thanks, it might just be worth it to pay someone to drive with him instead. So did he have to take the written test again? Once to get a learners permit and then again when you get the license? Thats cool being able to skip the MVD test, I hate waiting in that place. Do you get a certificate or something from the instructor that enables you to skip the road test?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I would ask your insurance agent about the insurance issue. You likely need to add another driver, which will raise your premium .
Yeah I'm not looking forward to that, I bet young drivers are expensive to insure. My parents made me get a job so I could pay for my own insurance and I'm doing the same with him.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,164,129 times
Yeah, he got a certificate which got him out of the road test. He still had to take the written test to get his license.

This was several years ago so make sure it all still works the same.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:23 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,805,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
Thanks, it might just be worth it to pay someone to drive with him instead. So did he have to take the written test again? Once to get a learners permit and then again when you get the license? Thats cool being able to skip the MVD test, I hate waiting in that place. Do you get a certificate or something from the instructor that enables you to skip the road test?
That would be neat to skip the road test (although i thought that was way easier than the written test!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: