Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:12 PM

169 posts, read 281,305 times

Advertisements

I was recently reading about the tragic story of Chris McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp) who perished in the Alaskan wilderness back in the early 90s and was surprised to learn that the bus that he squatted in is still there. It got me wondering: are there any similar stories of people who perished in the Sonoran desert or elsewhere in isolated rural Arizona? Have they left any artifacts or marks behind that are still visible? (cars, graffiti, tents etc)

I've already read about the fascinating case of the German tourists who died in California's Death Valley back in 1996. One hiking enthusiast took it upon himself to solve the case and posted how he found different clues along the way, such as shoes and empty beer bottles, and figured out the route they took vis GPS and educated guesswork. It's a gripping read so here's the link for anyone interested (it's very long though - Link.) It doesn't paint the local rescue unit in the best light.

This thread may bomb but I'd be interested to hear of any similar high profile cases that occurred in AZ. We get a lot of tourists so I'm sure some naive ones unwisely stray off the beaten path. Many illegal immigrants attempt to traverse the harsh desert terrain also. Are the skeletons of the unlucky ones visible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 11:29 PM

612 posts, read 1,021,007 times
Read "The Devil's Highway" - it describes the relatively recent (2001, I believe) travails of a group of immigrants who were led astray and ultimately, to their deaths. It is very vividly detailed and talks very specifically about the dangers of being stuck out in the elements in this part of the country. It really is a very good book.

Anyhow, yes, people die in the desert all of the time. I doubt you might accidentally stumble onto a body, or any specific evidence of their having been in a particular spot, but they are most certainly out there.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the book suggestion. Can't believe I've never heard of The Devil's Highway before - it's a Pulitzer Prize nominee. I see my local library has it so I'll be sure to pick up next time I'm there.

I presume any abandoned vehicles in the desert would soon be discovered by helicopter rescue units and removed for forensic examination so I'm not hopeful about discovering any major finds while out hiking. The Chris McCandless bus story just got me wondering.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
I would hate to perish like that in the heat... I think I'd rather freeze.

That being said, I think people really underestimate different environments when they're not familiar.
My friend told me when he was on a business trip to Phoenix, he went to a place called Camelback and decided to "check it out". In other words a spontaneous unprepared hike. He suddenly saw how far he had walked up a trail and realized he didn't bring a water bottle. He was feeling pretty thirsty and dry in the throat and luckily there were plenty of people around and someone gave him an extra water bottle. He learned his lesson!

Speaking of books about clueless tourists, I picked up a cheerful little read at the Grand Canyon visitors center called:

"Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon".

Just some of the smallest mistakes that ordinary people could make if careless! OMG!! and check out that book cover!

Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon: Michael P. Ghiglieri, Thomas M. Myers: 9780970097316: Amazon.com: Books

Was a good read though... but...

Old 08-21-2014, 12:22 AM

With respect, I take it you're not from Arizona @Podo944
Camelback Mountain is a popular hiking destination within Phoenix city limits. It's hardly isolated. Think of it as our Central Park. We actually have several mountains within the metro area which locals climb for their daily exercise and tourists can hike in an hour or two. They offer spectacular views of the city.

Having said that, they can be challenging places if you attempt to climb them in the middle of the day without water. There is almost zero chance of anyone getting stranded on Camelback Mountain though. Park rangers and other hikers are plentiful. My OP was more aimed at the more isolated stretches of desert off the beaten track i.e. down dirt roads off the highway.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:21 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
I hike the desert a lot. We are used to the heat but sometimes we do stuff like heading off road in the truck down some desert track just to see what's there. There's potential danger, but we have water, a shovel, guns and cell phones, and usually I keep some chain link fence in the back to put under the tires for traction.

Sometimes we do stupid stuff like hiking off to an abandoned mine we see in the distance while wearing flip flops, with no water. So if I suddenly stop posting, just follow my gps to my bleached bones.

Ya gotta be tough to survive the desert.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:36 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
I should mention that several people disappear in the desert every year and in some cases aren't found for years. But a LOT more people drown in the lakes and rivers, surrounded by water! Crazy.

I think the Superstition Mountains have a lot of ghosts still looking for the Lost Mine.

Don't take the desert for granted. Don't drive off road further than you can hike out. If smart travel in at least two vehicles. Don't take cars down dirt roads unless you know the type of dirt. Some turns into sand bogs, other into a slippery mess when wet. Stay out of ravines during monsoon season.

Take TRIPLE the water you think you need. We freeze big bottles of water. Wear boots not flip flops like me, I'm gonna get bit if I don't stop it on spontaneous hikes.

Take a stout walking stick. You can block a snake with it if necessary. Don't shoot our pet rattlers when you are hiking in THEIR backyard!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
It took over a year to find the remains of a disoriented elder man who disappeared from Yuma while traveling to a neighborhood store, his car was found in the CA desert, his remains later.

News article

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-21-2014, 08:21 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
On the hiking forum I frequent one of the regulars disappeared in the Mazatal Mountains northeast of Phoenix a few years back. Every few months someone tries to find his remains up there, but no such luck yet.

I've hiked part of the ridgeline of the Estrella Mountains and on one part of the ridge there is an old unmarked grave.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Another gruesome place is up on the Flatiron in the Superstition Mountains. There was a plane crash up there a few years ago and you can still see the burn marks on the rocks as well as bits & pieces of the plane. Poor people missed the top of the mountain by about 50 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona