U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:37 PM

147 posts, read 232,400 times

Advertisements

OK, all those that live (or have lived) in Kingman, I have a question for you.

My husband and I were in Kingman about 3 weeks ago (we're relocating...YAY!!) to look for a house to buy (which we did...another YAY!!) and we stayed at the Best Western Wayfarer Inn (nice place, BTW) for a week. During our stay we noticed there were a TON of CA license plates everywhere.

Are these people, (1) just passing through, (2) relocating from CA, or (3) have they already relocated but haven't bothered to register their vehicles yet??

While we were there we looked at several houses and some were new construction, some not. I inquired this last week about a new construction house we had looked at and it was sold. Just wondered who's buying these homes. Are more retired people relocating like us or are people just getting smarter and getting out of CA?? Either way, there's a lot of new construction going on.

BTW...we can't wait to get there!! We loved the town, the scenery was fantastic and we loved the warm, LOW humidity weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 AM

5,998 posts, read 6,360,640 times
Mostly #1 on their way to the GC or points east, or returning. Many Calis have vacation homes in No Az, Kingman and others.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:09 AM

2,174 posts, read 3,473,580 times
Why are there so many Kingman threads asking the same thing ? Not much of a middle class or solid employment. People either make upper middle income in a self employed type of setting or they work menial waged service sector jobs and are forced to pay lot rent with some of the tweakers who inhabit the many trailer parks there.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:08 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,352,467 times
Well at one point I asked the same thing and put together a cheat sheet on all of the questions people ask.

But magnum0417 you are so knowledgeable on the whole state and don't appear to even live in Arizona if I understand your last several postings. So glad you have a firm grasp on the situation in Kingman. not

Old 08-31-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
Well at one point I asked the same thing and put together a cheat sheet on all of the questions people ask.

But magnum0417 you are so knowledgeable on the whole state and don't appear to even live in Arizona if I understand your last several postings. So glad you have a firm grasp on the situation in Kingman. not
I live in Tempe and spend weekends in Valle AZ. I've traveled this state from Kingman to Douglas and from Kayenta to Yuma and have my observations. You are welcome.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post

Exactly what jobs offer solid middle class income besides nursing at the hospital and teaching (which AZ is **** poor in paying compared to other states) ? You got trailer parks galore and tweakers in Birdland and Butler and then some solid 100K plus homes on the outskirts of town. Not a whole lot of people making 50-70K who aren't self employed in a niche field can find that income potential in Kingman and that is a fact.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:44 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,352,467 times
Well it may come as a shock but there are State, County and city plus many other Hospital positions making that or more. Agree private sector jobs could be lower paying wages. But its not something I will go further with on here.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:15 PM

We both know in smaller communities longstanding members of the community get access to those government jobs.Someone outside the area without connections won't have a level playing field.That's not a Kingman but applies to most communities.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:21 PM

147 posts, read 232,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Exactly what jobs offer solid middle class income besides nursing at the hospital and teaching (which AZ is **** poor in paying compared to other states) ? You got trailer parks galore and tweakers in Birdland and Butler and then some solid 100K plus homes on the outskirts of town. Not a whole lot of people making 50-70K who aren't self employed in a niche field can find that income potential in Kingman and that is a fact.

I wasn't even going to comment on your tirade but I think you must have had some bad experience in Kingman (jailed, kicked out, etc.??) to make you so bitter to give such hateful opinions that could deter any one reading this from even considering the area. Makes me wonder what brought about your comments

I've lived in a LOT of places, in a LOT of different areas of the US (east coast , south, and west coast) and since I'm newly retired and worked all my life, I've had good paying jobs and not-so-good paying jobs but that's no reflection on any particular part of the country. That's the way it is all over. Same way with good areas to live in in a town and not-so-good areas. It's no different any place else. That doesn't make Kingman any less than any other town across America.

Nobody said Kingman was for everyone and, frankly, I'm glad it's not a big city or we wouldn't be relocating there. If there were tons of jobs that paid good wages, then it would be growing by leaps and bounds and that would just end up being another Phoenix...which I wouldn't live in, personally.

I didn't say anything in my initial post about jobs, so why get off on that diatribe???

Kingman is a lovely place and we're so glad to be moving there. Oh, and by the way,....we bought a MUCH better home than your "solid 100K plus homes".

Old 08-31-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
I wasn't even going to comment on your tirade but I think you must have had some bad experience in Kingman (jailed, kicked out, etc.??) to make you so bitter to give such hateful opinions that could deter any one reading this from even considering the area. Makes me wonder what brought about your comments

I've lived in a LOT of places, in a LOT of different areas of the US (east coast , south, and west coast) and since I'm newly retired and worked all my life, I've had good paying jobs and not-so-good paying jobs but that's no reflection on any particular part of the country. That's the way it is all over. Same way with good areas to live in in a town and not-so-good areas. It's no different any place else. That doesn't make Kingman any less than any other town across America.

Nobody said Kingman was for everyone and, frankly, I'm glad it's not a big city or we wouldn't be relocating there. If there were tons of jobs that paid good wages, then it would be growing by leaps and bounds and that would just end up being another Phoenix...which I wouldn't live in, personally.

I didn't say anything in my initial post about jobs, so why get off on that diatribe???

Kingman is a lovely place and we're so glad to be moving there. Oh, and by the way,....we bought a MUCH better home than your "solid 100K plus homes".
Since you are retired and put your savings into a home, Kingman is decent for people as yourself.Quite a different story for those seeking good employment. I live in Tempe and have never had any personal or professional dealings in Kingman.In general,northern AZ . Has a dearth of private sector well paying jobs for transplants who don't have family connections.Phoenix is where us working age people choose for best employment opportunities. I do enjoy the climate and geography Kingman offers at 3300 ft. However,that only goes so far when one cannot pay their bills due to marginal employment .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or