Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:48 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times

Advertisements

A LOT of people talk how Kingman's just loaded up with tweakers and so on. Is the crime problem there really all that bad? Why I ask is Meth's a big problem in many places plus there's lots of crime when a place's loaded with illegal aliens. Most illegals in Arizona ain't "anglo white".

I'm in Bullhead City and I've had no real problem with lawbreakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 12:01 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,562 times
In my opinion that is way over blown, Every place you go there will be issues and concerns, we don't live in a perfect world.
We are a crossroads to everywhere else which does draw in some folks and they get stuck here and no way to move on easily.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
In my opinion that is way over blown, Every place you go there will be issues and concerns, we don't live in a perfect world.
We are a crossroads to everywhere else which does draw in some folks and they get stuck here and no way to move on easily.
That kinda makes sense since like you said; Kingman IS a crossroads town so the "goods" can be "odd".

Old 09-01-2014, 12:02 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Funny, when we lived in Kingman we were told that all the tweakers were in Bullhead. Either way, there are tweakers in the desert for sure. Also in big cities, small town, suburbia.... And, well, everywhere.

On thing you won't see in either area is meth labs. Those are all long gone.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:55 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
Kingman has it's share of drugs and crime. Particularly Golden Valley. I'm always reading of violent crime there. Mostly desert rat arguements, meth issues and burgularly. At least three neighbor shootings in the past three years.

There are still meth labs, but they are small now, and portable.

I'd guess that 90% of our crime countywide is between people known to each other. Families, neighbors, drug buddies stealing from or attacking each other. Domestic violence, shoplifting. Stupid stuff.

Kingman has the jail and a lot of transients traveling through. BHC has the gambling and tourism that attracts or creates homless. Councilman Duval and others are working on a solution to help those who need help.

Frankly I think drugs and crime is and has been a problem in most cities and towns. Compared to inner cities I think all Mohave County is pretty safe. I'd rather be here than Chicago! I think as long as we keep the gangs from returning we will be fine.

Packard, did you see the BHC paper a few days ago? Busted six in a drug house in the 1100 block of Ramar. The day before busted a seven person burgularly ring that was stealing guns! Couple of months ago they shut down a whole trailer park for drug sales, numerous arrests. It's probably back in business by now. I'm going to drtive by tomorrow and look.

Yes BHC has our share of dopers, criminals and pond scum. But our police do a VERY good job playing whack-a-mole. Druggies, criminals and dealers will end up in jail. Problem is new ones arrive to take their place.

One thing we DO NOT have is street crime. Folks can walk around without worrying about getting robbed. Obviously don't do stupid stuff. Don't count your giant wad of gambling money in an isolated parking lot at midnight.

Here's how things are more likely to happen in Bullhead or Kingman. Some months ago I saw a drunk reeling down the sidewalk on 95. As I drove past he fell over and seemed unable to get up. As I turned around I called the PD. While I was across the street waiting for traffic to clear THREE cars stopped to assist the drunk until the medics arrived just a couple of minutes later. In most cities people would ignore him, or rob him.

THAT- is why I continue to live in this dusty, windy, frying pan of a town. Because people here still look out for strangers. The GOOD people outweigh the bad.

If citizens will pick up the phone and call pd when they see or suspect crime we will maintain a safe town.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Kingman has it's share of drugs and crime. Particularly Golden Valley. I'm always reading of violent crime there. Mostly desert rat arguements, meth issues and burgularly. At least three neighbor shootings in the past three years.
Huh? Golden Valley is no more a part of Kingman than it is to Bullhead. A little closer maybe, but still separated by a mountain range. The demographics of the two towns are vastly different.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:11 PM

219 posts, read 448,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Question:

Can you describe 32 Kingman women?
I take offense to this "joke". It's NOT funny and it's sexist, to say the least.

I happen to be a (future) Kingman woman and I have ALL my teeth, thank you very much

I currently live in a small rural town that has a LOT of these folks that don't seem to care about their appearance (or anything else) and can be seen at WalMart wearing their fleece pajama bottoms and sporting tatoos all over their body's

I can't vouch for all of Kingman, but when we spent a week there the beginning of Aug. looking for a home to buy, I didn't see any tatooed woman (I'm sure there are some, tho) or any fleece clad WalMarters. What I'm saying is, there are areas of the country (and we've lived in a LOT of different ones) that tatooed woman and chain-smoking fleece wearers are just the norm. I don't think Kingman is that type of place...at least not the parts we saw.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:41 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
^^^ Yeah, they all moved to Bullhead.

As for Golden Valley, well I can understand Kingman wouldn't want to claim it.

To us valley people anything east of Union Pass is Kingman.

I did notice today's Kingman Daily Miner newspaper's lead story was on a seminar teaching parents about all the new drugs kids are using, where they hide them, etc. I guess that says something.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:34 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
I take offense to this "joke". It's NOT funny and it's sexist, to say the least.

I happen to be a (future) Kingman woman and I have ALL my teeth, thank you very much

I currently live in a small rural town that has a LOT of these folks that don't seem to care about their appearance (or anything else) and can be seen at WalMart wearing their fleece pajama bottoms and sporting tatoos all over their body's

I can't vouch for all of Kingman, but when we spent a week there the beginning of Aug. looking for a home to buy, I didn't see any tatooed woman (I'm sure there are some, tho) or any fleece clad WalMarters. What I'm saying is, there are areas of the country (and we've lived in a LOT of different ones) that tatooed woman and chain-smoking fleece wearers are just the norm. I don't think Kingman is that type of place...at least not the parts we saw.
Our Havasu-Kingman area got rated dead last in a Forbes poll about 10 years ago for the least college educated population. We here in Havasu objected since we were combined with Kingman. Turns out we brought Kingman down!

Old 09-01-2014, 04:50 PM

It's true, education isn't a huge priority in Mohave County unfortunately. For that reason, it's not the best place to raise kids unless you home school them or send them off to private schools out of the area. We know folks who did both of those options. We moved back to San Jose when our kids got to middle-school age, as our neighborhood here has an excellent school system. That's really the only major gripe I have with Kingman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona