Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:11 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,556,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I've see a Tesla driving around in Sun City West several times over the past 6 months. One of those times I parked my SUV next to it in a shopping center, it looked like a little ant, it's so small. Not too bad looking but not worth $94,000 to me though.
The Tesla Model S is not a small car. Not sure what "ant" you were looking at but it must have been something else. It's longer than a Toyota Camry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 05:31 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,577,526 times
I thought this was an interesting blog. Probably would be considered NSFW as it has some curse words in it.

What it's like to own a Tesla Model S - A cartoonist's review of his magical space car - The Oatmeal

Old 10-05-2014, 05:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,294,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The Tesla Model S is not a small car. Not sure what "ant" you were looking at but it must have been something else. It's longer than a Toyota Camry.
^^^Exactly. It's not a compact car, but a 5 passenger 4 door luxury sedan, which by the way, most owners are just nuts about. There's a waiting list to buy one. There's also a waiting list to buy the next model, an SUV with flip up doors going into production next year. Heck, there's even a waiting list already to buy the ~$40K Model III, planned for about a year after that.

One of those on the waiting list is Edmunds, the car reviewer. They recently sold their very early run Model S, for better than average resale value, after driving it for about a year, so they could move on to another new car. The final review was quite critical, and nit-picky, but with all they had to say that was critical they also said that the whole staff loved the car and hated to see it go.

Consumer's Union not only gave it the highest possible rating, they also called it the best car they had ever tested.

It's commonly referred to by owners and reviewers as a "rocket ship," a high tech luxury family sedan that can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds, faster than a Porsche 911.

I guess you can tell Tesla is doing something right by the number of people who post slams against the car which are incorrect about even basic facts, as if they are living in some parallel universe and describing some other car.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:40 PM

38,983 posts, read 50,934,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I've see a Tesla driving around in Sun City West several times over the past 6 months. One of those times I parked my SUV next to it in a shopping center, it looked like a little ant, it's so small. Not too bad looking but not worth $94,000 to me though.
In a way, you do own a Tesla! About half of the cost of producing one is paid by taxpayers in subsidies, tax write offs, and incentives. That does not count all the free use of the roads owners get by not paying gas taxes or an alternative. It's pretty sad, really. American working stiffs who drive an old Toyota are shelling out $45,000 in subsidies for every trendy Tesla sold to a very, very wealthy person.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,294,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I had not been paying much attention to Tesla, but had read that Arizona was one of 4 states that banned direct sales from car manufactures. I can't even find in any Arizona news when that law was passed must have been passed with no news on it.
I'm afraid you and everyone else so far on this thread has misunderstood or misstated the core issue in what has happened. Tesla wants to open dealerships in Arizona, just as they want to in New Jersey and in Texas and in every other state where they currently are not allowed to.

What is preventing them is pushback from existing car dealers, who want Tesla to sell them Tesla franchises, rather than owning their own dealerships and service centers. But Tesla, which has declared that they are not just making and selling cars, but they are out to transform the auto industry, has no intention of selling franchises... they want to own and operate their own dealerships and service centers.

So what you are actually seeing is a very wealthy and powerful industry segment, existing car dealers, trying to hold down an "upstart" company that wants to change the protectionist rules which have mostly been in place all around the country since around WWII that prohibit car manufacturers from owning dealerships, and they are doing it by pouring money into "anti-Tesla" lobbying.

It's pretty obvious why the dealers want to hold onto their current control of the market. What's not so obvious is why Tesla is fighting them. Simply stated, Tesla wants to completely change the sales experience for the customer, AND the service experience, and they don't think they can get that from a third party organisation.

And need I say it? I think the latest action from the Arizona legislature is simply a "sour grapes" flavored slap at Tesla because Arizona lost the bid for the $5 Billion Tesla Battery Gigafactory to Nevada... which will allow Tesla to set up wholly owned dealerships.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-05-2014 at 06:38 PM..

Old 10-05-2014, 08:01 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,609,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'm afraid you and everyone else so far on this thread has misunderstood or misstated the core issue in what has happened. Tesla wants to open dealerships in Arizona, just as they want to in New Jersey and in Texas and in every other state where they currently are not allowed to.

What is preventing them is pushback from existing car dealers, who want Tesla to sell them Tesla franchises, rather than owning their own dealerships and service centers. But Tesla, which has declared that they are not just making and selling cars, but they are out to transform the auto industry, has no intention of selling franchises... they want to own and operate their own dealerships and service centers.

So what you are actually seeing is a very wealthy and powerful industry segment, existing car dealers, trying to hold down an "upstart" company that wants to change the protectionist rules which have mostly been in place all around the country since around WWII that prohibit car manufacturers from owning dealerships, and they are doing it by pouring money into "anti-Tesla" lobbying.

It's pretty obvious why the dealers want to hold onto their current control of the market. What's not so obvious is why Tesla is fighting them. Simply stated, Tesla wants to completely change the sales experience for the customer, AND the service experience, and they don't think they can get that from a third party organisation.

And need I say it? I think the latest action from the Arizona legislature is simply a "sour grapes" flavored slap at Tesla because Arizona lost the bid for the $5 Billion Tesla Battery Gigafactory to Nevada... which will allow Tesla to set up wholly owned dealerships.

You can read Tesla's sec reports online, and those docs don't refer to traditional "dealerships" at all. They're showrooms, with no service facilities at all. Tesla believes it can send the techs to the customer when needed, which is a pretty silly proposition if you understand what on-site service actually costs. Coming from a background in automotive service (including setting up new service points for an automotive manufacturer), I can tell you with absolute certainty that Tesla doesn't have a clue what they're in for. Reading Tesla's own docs, and *knowing* what I know - I can't believe how well they've hoodwinked so many (otherwise intelligent) people. Feel free to believe whatever you want, get your driver's license photo taken with a collander on your head, buy a Tesla, or invest in their stock, whatever.. Just don't be surprised when they go ****-up.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 PM

784 posts, read 918,777 times
It will be over when all the tax dollars they are getting dries up....they can't produce enough or sell enough high dollar cars and make it in the auto industry....it is too regulated, too costly....there is a reason you don't see new car startups...they are very rare....especially in the US.

They should be well built and good ride for what they cost.....but as the price of oil keeps dropping as we are producing more and the price of gas is less....there will be less buyers for these cars....if you are holding their stock you should sell...sell...sell....lol

Old 10-05-2014, 08:19 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,661,577 times
Next time I buy a car, I'll have to remember not to buy it in Arizona. Screw the car dealers and their lobby.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:37 PM

16,276 posts, read 8,376,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Tesla is in the process of making just that

Tesla will unveil under-$40K car within three years - Triangle Business Journal

Tesla is far from being the next DeLorean. In my opinion, they were the first manufacturer to produce an attractive energy efficient car. When you thought electric/hybrid, you thought ugly yet practical. Let's be honest, the Prius, Civic etc are pretty darn ugly. Furthermore, they are not the most comfortable cars to ride in. They have tiny cabins and you feel cramped. The Tesal Model S is very roomy and has an extremely soft ride. Basically, it's a car you would actually like to own. Every Prius owner I know buys the car for the fuel efficiency, environmentally friendliness and/or ability to obtain HOV pass, not because they admire their appearance and ride. Thanks to Tesla, you are seeing manufacturers step up their game and try to produce electric/hybrids that are attractive and comfortable and not just mini batteries on wheels.
I agree with most of what you said, but Tesla' biggest problem(aside from initial cost) in my view is still the ability to have enough charging stations to get you from point A to B on a long drive. In smaller compact states it is not an issue, but in Florida, you must follow one of only two routes to be able to go from S FL to out of the state.

`

Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 PM

44,555 posts, read 61,283,437 times
QUOTE=DetroitN8V;36760271]The Tesla Model S is not a small car. Not sure what "ant" you were looking at but it must have been something else. It's longer than a Toyota Camry.[/quote]

This is the Tesla parked next to my SUV and looking down on it it looked like an ant compared to my vehicle. That ant comment btw is a figure of speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona