U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2008, 10:13 PM

328 posts, read 604,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
As I said - think it's a bit early to tell exactly what the outcome (both good and bad) will be. It will be a few months before the dust settles on this thing and we see what the real results (if any) are. It takes a while to tabulate the data and draw factual conclusions - rather than heresay and anecdotes.

Give it some time people.
Then we'll see:

How much crime drops.
How much emergency room visits drop.
Home much school attendence drops.
How much home/apartment vacancies increase.
How many businesses are shut down.
What kind of labor shortage develops.
How much wages go up.
How tax collection is affected.
How the overall economy is affected.

Ken
Whatever the results the law against illegal occupation is finally getting enforced.

For sure some businesses are not going to make it...the strong legal ones will find a way...and new ones structured in a legal way will pop up to replace those exiting...many schools will no longer be anchored down with laggard non English speaking citizens...emergency rooms will no longer be weighed down with no revenue patients...wages will rise for lower end jobs that may be able to finally offer a career ladder...and best of all those wages earned will stay in the state/country to be spent.

Of course there will be bumps in the road but I for one have no doubt cracking down on illegal occupation is going to work out for the better in the long run.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 PM

38 posts, read 102,012 times
<< Also, this morning there was an article in the Arizona newspaper that discussed how Spanish authorities at the border town across from Yuma are trying to prepare for the illegals that are going back to Mexico without jobs or places to live >>

Here's that story:

News: Sanctions law may strain San Luis Rio Colorado | city, immigrants, law - Yuma Sun

Old 01-15-2008, 10:42 PM

2,308 posts, read 932,875 times
Default backtochitown

Quote:
Whatever the results the law against illegal occupation is finally getting enforced.

For sure some businesses are not going to make it...the strong legal ones will find a way...and new ones structured in a legal way will pop up to replace those exiting...many schools will no longer be anchored down with laggard non English speaking citizens...emergency rooms will no longer be weighed down with no revenue patients...wages will rise for lower end jobs that may be able to finally offer a career ladder...and best of all those wages earned will stay in the state/country to be spent.

Of course there will be bumps in the road but I for one have no doubt cracking down on illegal occupation is going to work out for the better in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor
As I said - think it's a bit early to tell exactly what the outcome (both good and bad) will be. It will be a few months before the dust settles on this thing and we see what the real results (if any) are. It takes a while to tabulate the data and draw factual conclusions - rather than heresay and anecdotes.

Give it some time people.
Then we'll see:

How much crime drops.
How much emergency room visits drop.
Home much school attendence drops.
How much home/apartment vacancies increase.
How many businesses are shut down.
What kind of labor shortage develops.
How much wages go up.
How tax collection is affected.
How the overall economy is affected.

Ken
So, will the 08 Presidential Elections change the immigration landscape, or is all this smoke and mirrors, dog and pony show, P.T. Barnum sucker born every minute, etc. for the consumption of the "electors" (I hesitate to use the term "voters" because we elect a "media image"!), and all this will disappear into the realities of the "government labyrinth" at 12:01PM EST on 20 January 2009.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumadons View Post
<< Also, this morning there was an article in the Arizona newspaper that discussed how Spanish authorities at the border town across from Yuma are trying to prepare for the illegals that are going back to Mexico without jobs or places to live >>

Here's that story:

News: Sanctions law may strain San Luis Rio Colorado | city, immigrants, law - Yuma Sun
Good story, thanks for the post. La historia del Alcalde de Luis Rio San Colorado problemas con la vuelta de ciudadanos Mejicanos rompe mi corazon Americano! The Mayor's sad story is breaking my American heart!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,070 times
:dno Pain No Gain, Key Word Is "illegal"

Old 01-17-2008, 11:57 PM

15,904 posts, read 13,745,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
So, will the 08 Presidential Elections change the immigration landscape, or is all this smoke and mirrors, dog and pony show, P.T. Barnum sucker born every minute, etc. for the consumption of the "electors" (I hesitate to use the term "voters" because we elect a "media image"!), and all this will disappear into the realities of the "government labyrinth" at 12:01PM EST on 20 January 2009.
Well, it seems to me that business interests want the status quo, so would guess there will be a lot of talk but little action from Washington DC for a while longer.

Ken

Old 01-18-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, it seems to me that business interests want the status quo, so would guess there will be a lot of talk but little action from Washington DC for a while longer.

Ken
Since I've been around for six decades, the political show must go on and go on it shall. As a rule, what's good for business wins out over what's good for the country. The only changes I expect are whatever is favorable to the business interests in Washington, anything else is of little consequence. BTW, this US-Mexican border fence is a joke. Whatever sections will be built , are already being circumvented by the coyotes and drug smugglers, the "Welcome to the US free" sign is brighter than ever.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 AM

451 posts, read 957,116 times
They are still standing at the gas station in Fountain Hills looking for work.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 AM

9 posts, read 18,324 times
Not right exactly. Hispanic literally means having origins from Spain. Would it make sense to call a Guarani Indian in Paraguay a hispanic when that persons' language, heritage, and culture are not from Spain? And all those in the Americas that speak a romance language, particularly, French, Spanish, and Portuguese, can be considered Latino.

Quote:
Both the terms "Hispanic" and "Latino" describe a specific ethnicity of native Spanish speaking persons. "Latino" describes persons of Spanish speaking heritage living or originating from Mexico, Central and South America. The term 'Latino" represents the foundation of the Spanish (and Italian) languages from the root Latin language where much of our present day English language originates. The term "Hispanic" is used to describe persons of Spanish speaking heritage living or originating in Spain and western Europe. Although the term "Hispanic" is used to describe most Spanish speaking persons, that term over simplifies the division between Latinos and Hispanics. Both the US and the UK are English speaking countries, but the language is divided in to US English and UK (or British) English, two oars, same boat.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 AM

1,223 posts, read 3,398,028 times
Quote:
Since I've been around for six decades, the political show must go on and go on it shall. As a rule, what's good for business wins out over what's good for the country. The only changes I expect are whatever is favorable to the business interests in Washington, anything else is of little consequence. BTW, this US-Mexican border fence is a joke. Whatever sections will be built , are already being circumvented by the coyotes and drug smugglers, the "Welcome to the US free" sign is brighter than ever.
Great post!! It's not letting me give you any points, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona