U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 01-03-2008, 09:59 PM

21,157 posts, read 24,241,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
El Ingles puede ser considerado nuestra "lengua nacional", pero el Espanol es el segundo el mas extensamente lenguaje hablado en los US!

Para todos mis amigos de hablar Espanoles!

I haven't been learning to read, write and speak (poorly!) Spanish for the past 2 1/2 years because I think that English will become the national language. English will not become the national language because that are far too many other languages spoken in the US. Chinese and Korean are spoken more frequently in the US ahead of Spanish which is the 4th most spoken language.

So, maybe my grandchild and great grand children will be speaking Chinese and/or Korean in place of English and Spanish?

Peru has recently instituted a program in the school system whereby students learn Mandarin Chinese, not English. Maybe Peru knows something that the US does not?
More people speak Mandarin than English, yes.

Remember that most of the above Mandarin speakers live in China whereas English widely used throughout the world.

Where do you get that bit that Chinese and Korean are ahead of Spanish here in the USA? There are relatively few people of the first two ethnic groups here and too the children of the above may or may not even speak their parents tongue. Besides; with Koreans in particular, the out marriage rate is above 50%.

Unread 01-03-2008, 10:04 PM

42,853 posts, read 49,226,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
What can I say? My mother's side of my family is in large part 'Confederate'-----never mind that I tend to side with the Union re: the Civil War.
Then you probably hear a lot of "God bless your heart!" when you go to the South! (not sure if you've seen this discussion... was funny )

Unread 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM

2,308 posts, read 817,026 times
Default ArizonaBear

Quote:
Where do you get that bit that Chinese and Korean are ahead of Spanish here in the USA? There are relatively few people of the first two ethnic groups here and too the children of the above may or may not even speak their parents tongue. Besides; with Koreans in particular, the out marriage rate is above 50%.
You are indeed correct. While Mandarin Chinese and Korean are in the top 10 of languages spoken in the US, Spanish is indeed the 2nd most spoken language in the US. I failed to perform due diligence.

Here is the page link to the statistics for spoken languages in the US.

Languages SpokenÂ*in the U.S. (http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/november/USlanguages.html - broken link)

Unread 01-03-2008, 11:09 PM

9 posts, read 17,185 times
I never said Hispanic or Latino was a race. In fact, there is only the human race, and if more people would realize this we wouldn't be having this discussion. Hispanic is a term invented for the U.S. census and Latino refers to a shared common heritage, language, assumed blood ties, and customs.

Last edited by bigd4535; 01-03-2008 at 11:34 PM..

Unread 01-04-2008, 05:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,991,141 times
The BIG issue here is.. why not STAY in mexico and protest THERE for better pay... better government... and so on. They sure do put up a BIG stink here and have NO problem protesting in OUR American streets, while holding a mexico flag! I have NO problem with anyone, of any race, coming to the US... LEGALLY! Many people.. from ALL over the world are immigrating to the US everyday... and they do it LEGALLY! It is a CRIME to enter without legal documentation. it is a PROVEN fact they millions of dollars get SENT back to mexico every year.. Americans have faught long and hard, too long and too hard just to let illegals from south-of-the-border sneak over and reap the rewards! They could fight, protest, and so-on in MEXICO. If we closed our borders up tight.. really tight, if we made it impossible for them to find work here.. they would have to eventually get up the ambition to make thier country better for themselves, it's not rocket science. Believe it or not, there a many mexicans in mexico who are rich, who live in beautiful homes, who are educated, who have great jobs. But you don't see them sneaking over..lol. Better pay= better living over-all, stay in mexico and fight for it... we did, and still are.. lol!

Unread 01-04-2008, 08:31 AM

34 posts, read 80,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
El Ingles puede ser considerado nuestra "lengua nacional", pero el Espanol es el segundo el mas extensamente lenguaje hablado en los US!

Para todos mis amigos de hablar Espanoles!

I haven't been learning to read, write and speak (poorly!) Spanish for the past 2 1/2 years because I think that English will become the national language. English will not become the national language because that are far too many other languages spoken in the US. Chinese and Korean are spoken more frequently in the US ahead of Spanish which is the 4th most spoken language.

So, maybe my grandchild and great grand children will be speaking Chinese and/or Korean in place of English and Spanish?

Peru has recently instituted a program in the school system whereby students learn Mandarin Chinese, not English. Maybe Peru knows something that the US does not?
Most scholars believe that English has always been our official language. Prof. J.R. Pole, "Foundations of American Indepedence: 1763-1815," Bobbs-Merrill Co. 1972, 18.

The Founders of the United States of America were aware of the importance of language on nation-building. A nation’s language was thought to be the essence of national culture. Hobbes wrote in 1651 that language was the major organizing principle of states and without it "there had been amongst men, neither Commonwealth, nor Society, nor Contract, nor Peace". Source: T. Hobbes, Leviathan, 12 (1973 ed.). As Professor Simpson put it: "Language, in other words, is seen from the start as a potential element in constituting a political and cultural unity among the citizens of the new republic; or, if it goes wrong, a means of prescribing or perpetuating disorder." Source: David Simpson, The Politics of American English, 1776-1850, 30 (1986).

More than 300 languages are spoken in the United States. Source: U.S. Bureau of the Census, 1990 Table: "Language Spoken At Home and Ability to Speak English for Persons 5 Years and Over." [/SIZE]English is one of the few common bonds between Americans of all backgrounds. Although 14 percent of Americans speak a language other than English at home, 98% of Americans speak English "very well" or "well." Source: "Demographics," National Journal, May 1, 1993, P. 1058.

1.9 billion people worldwide, one-third of humanity, speak English. Source: Center for Immigration Studies, "Backgrounder: Are Immigration Preferences for English-speakers Racist?" April 1996, P. 1. English is the official language of many countries, including India and several populous countries in Africa. People in those countries speak many languages, but use English to conduct common and official business. Source: Blaustein and Epstein, "Resolving Language Conflicts: A Study of the World’s Constitutions," 1986.

The financial burden of language "assistance" by government is enormous. In addition to the $10 billion governments pay annually for bilingual education, governments spend millions to provide translations and other bilingual services. New Jersey alone spent $922,000 in 1992 on court translator fees. Source: Hope Viner Samborn, "Tongue- Tied," ABA Journal, February 1996, 22.

22 states have declared English their official languages. Those states still use other languages when necessary, but their official language – the language in which their governments function – is English.

U.S. News & World Report noted: "[bilingual education] was born of good intentions, but today it has mushroomed into a $10,000,000,000-a-year bureaucracy that not only cannot promise that students will learn English but may actually do some children more harm than good." Source: "Tongue-tied in the Schools," U.S. News & World Report, September 25, 1995, 44.The powerful California Teachers’ Association, formerly a strong advocate of bilingual education, now criticizes bilingual education for "crippling the Spanish-speaking child’s educational development." CTA Action, May 1995.

Unread 01-04-2008, 09:13 AM

25,085 posts, read 7,609,439 times
Immigration...immigration...immigration. In 1986 there were major changes in the immigration laws, but did it do anything to help the economy or deter illegal immigration? NO! It only served to further illegal immigration, futher paperwork and expense and overall harm the economy by creating illegal tax free income, a drain on social services and law enforcement and greater health and educational expenses for the state. I don't think the new law will change very much. It simply is not enough or sufficient to deal with the current crisis. The boarders are not secure and the state is still burdened with all the problems that come along with illegal immigration. In the large scale of things what does the new law matter?... it's just words on paper.

Unread 01-04-2008, 12:41 PM

48 posts, read 152,574 times
Ya words on paper. I sure hope Arizona backs it up and does whats necessary.
I know here in Ohio they passed some ordinances, and were cracking down on businesses like crazy late last year, and arresting illegals right and left. Most were found up in Butler county I believe,,,working for contruction companies building houses. It was great to finally see something done,,,and businesses received enormous fines for hiring them. With raids on businesses it was quite a site to see.

Anyway,,,of course this triggered a petition from the mexicans,,,complaining of the usual crap. It bothered them so much all the illegals decided to organize on a particular day ,,,,,,skip work and picket down town Cincinnati. Talk about hillarious,,,,100's of illegals standing in one spot with picket signs!!!!! The city brought out the enforcements and arrested them all,,,sent their butts packing back to Mexico,,,,lol. It was the funniest thing I had seen on the news in years. I can't believe so many illegals would be so stupid as to stand at town square and advertise it,,,,lol. They made it very easy.
This shut em' up for quite some time now.

I only hope Arizona has success and enforces what they preach.

Unread 01-04-2008, 03:37 PM

12 posts, read 20,941 times
i do understand were you are coming from
but you have to understand the life that these people had and they are just coming over to our country to have a chance
and you know what the only reason that someone thats homeless never hit you is because they don't have a car
DUH!!!
and if you want to know my step father is an illegal immigrant and he does exactly what you say
he does spend his money on booze
but thats his problem

Unread 01-04-2008, 04:33 PM

96 posts, read 282,262 times
Well it's almost the end of day four of the New Year and Arizona has not shut down yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona