Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:37 AM

58 posts, read 141,101 times

Advertisements

Yo guys,

So I'm planning to take a trip to Cali and/or Vegas. Problem is, I only got 1 license plate (Since they only gave me one) and those states require 2. From my understanding, it's fine to have only 1 license plate, IF you're only visiting from a state that only hands out 1.

Is this true?

If not, what can I do? I went to the DMV website and they required me to pay $25 annually for 2 license plates lol... Are you kidding me? Yeah right.

I was thinking of just making an exact copy of my license plate and print it out as like a paper or something and stick it in the front while visiting cali.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 11:40 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
From my understanding, it's fine to have only 1 license plate, IF you're only visiting from a state that only hands out 1.

Is this true?
Yes. You only need one.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Whatever is legal where you live and the car is registered is what counts. One is enough.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Yo guys,

So I'm planning to take a trip to Cali and/or Vegas. Problem is, I only got 1 license plate (Since they only gave me one) and those states require 2. From my understanding, it's fine to have only 1 license plate, IF you're only visiting from a state that only hands out 1.

Is this true?

If not, what can I do? I went to the DMV website and they required me to pay $25 annually for 2 license plates lol... Are you kidding me? Yeah right.

I was thinking of just making an exact copy of my license plate and print it out as like a paper or something and stick it in the front while visiting cali.

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Yes. You only need one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Whatever is legal where you live and the car is registered is what counts. One is enough.
Bungle and observer53 are 100 percent right. A few states hand out only 1 license plate, not just Arizona.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:54 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Whatever you do, DON'T DO THIS....could be construed as fraud and will attract law enforcement to you as they no AZ (or whatever state you're from doesn't need a front plate.

You only need one plate if that's all you were issued, now if you move elsewhere, that's a different story.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Yo guys,

Is this true?

Thoughts?
Just as everyone else stated, all you need is one.

The two plate requirement is only if your car is registered in a state with a two plate requirement. Numerous people, myself included, spent years in a state with a two plate requirement, yet drove a car with one plate due to it being registered in a state with a one plate requirement (in my case, car registered in Florida, I was living in Washington).

Do not make a copy and stick on the front.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:27 PM

106 posts, read 246,599 times
You should not require a second license plate, especially if they see that you are from AZ. If Californian police give you trouble (I assume LVPD has way more important things on their plate, pun intended ) just explain that you're a tourist

Old 11-07-2014, 08:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctacity View Post
You should not require a second license plate, especially if they see that you are from AZ. If Californian police give you trouble (I assume LVPD has way more important things on their plate, pun intended ) just explain that you're a tourist
I don't think an Arizona registered car or light truck can be ticketed by any other state for NO front plate.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:03 PM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times
Links to the states that only require one plate, vs 2 plates:

How Many States Require Front License Plates? - KickingTires

License Plate Laws | LegalMatch Law Library

Vehicle registration plates of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're fine if you go to California or Nevada with just a rear license plate from a state like Arizona.

BTW, Arizona does issue 2 plates if you order vanity plates. Mounting the second plate in front is optional.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:37 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
I do think that if you are in California for longer than 10 days continuously, and plan to stay in the state for longer, technically you have to register the car in California. So if you are pulled over make sure you have been in Cali less than 10 days. One of my roommate's in Cali got his car towed because he had been in the state for six months and answered honestly. The 10 days part I'm a little fuzzy on, but it was something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: