U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:36 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,345,020 times

Advertisements

Arizona has a lot of places to explore and way more places to "escape" to that are all vastly different and unique. Florida is a lot of the same thing, way over crowded and miserable for 8 months of the year. You go to the beach twice when you first move there then only when company comes after that as you don't want to put up with the insane amount of people there. Avoid Florida at all costs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 01:20 PM

10,720 posts, read 18,448,409 times
I'm probably the best person to answer this since I currently live in Florida while my family lives in Arizona. I work in both states. I think Florida is a more fun place to visit but Arizona is a much better place to live. Florida is diverse so it depends where you live. I live in the Miami metropolitan area. The wealthy retirees and snowbirds give Florida a false sense of wealth and upper class. The retirees come from the northeast and have a lot of money. However, the non-snowbird/retired crowd is quite poor and resembles Detroit. The true under 40 crowd with families are not flashy nor do they have a lot of money. Hence the day to day living here is quite different those vacationing here. All those fancy cars and high end shops etc are not marketed toward the locals; they are marketed to the snowbirds and European and Latin American tourists.

Weather - Florida is humid all year and requires use of your air conditioner for the entire year. It is true t-shirt and short weather all year. It never changes. There is no cooling period. It's true the summers are not hot here. It rains too much for the summers to get really warm. The summers rain constantly. In South Florida, it rains at least once daily from June through August. I prefer the hot dry summers of Phoenix because at least you can plan your day and you are not worried about getting into traffic accident due to poor visibility and wet roads.

Congestion - Florida is much more congested which makes life difficult. Grocery stores, Department stores, malls, movie theaters, restaurants are all crowded. Parking is difficult to find. Everything is narrow. Parking lots are tiny. Restaurants are tiny. Arizona offers the same amenities but they are newer, BIGGER and offer more parking. The roads are designed better in Arizona so there is less traffic and it's much easier to commute to parts of the city.

Bad Service/Poor Work Ethic - in Florida, service is universally terrible. There are long waits for everything. It is like a third world country. The culture does not espouse professionalism, organization or courtesy. People cut in line. Drivers are rude and cut you off or block intersections at 4 way traffic stops. Everyone is late for everything. Nothing starts on time including movie times. It's extremely frustrating. In Arizona, people are punctual, polite and professional.

Ghetto/Run Down areas - This surprised me. There are a lot of bad areas (ghettos) all over Florida. And it doesn't matter where you live. Wealthy areas are adjacent to ghetto areas. There are crack dealers and homeless people walking in front of Rolls Royce and Bentley dealerships in downtown Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Drug addicts are constantly pan handling for money. Gang members will cross major 3 lane streets in the middle of the day and do not care about getting hit or will stare you down to force you to stop in the middle of a major street.

Schools - the schools here are lousy. Even the private schools are worse than our best charter schools in Phoenix. The teachers are often do not have degrees. The private schools are expensive relative to what they offer. I was astonished to find that my sons' public school in Chandler is better than every school in this area including private schools.

Health Care - my gosh, I would not want to be trapped here with health issues. Long waits, paper charts (No Electronic Medical Records), doctors who speak really poor English(I'm Mexican and grew up speaking Spanish), dilapidated and old equipment, hospitals that look like they are out of the 1970's

Restaurants - wow, really surprised by the lack of options here. I was expecting world class cuisine and top notch restaurants. And the Phoenix/Scottsdale metro just offers so much more in terms of quality, diversity, service etc. Even the seafood here is pretty lousy. You would think that being on the water, this place would be known for great seafood.

Crime is a big issue here. Unlike the Valley, you can't just live anywhere in Florida. There is TRUE crime here. You can rent at the nicest condominium or apartment and you still have to fear your car being broken into or your wheels being stolen. If you don't have a garage or a secure indoor place to park your car, there is a good chance something bad will happen to it. There is a lot more street and petty crime. And this occurs even in nice areas here. People have robbed people at gas stations in the middle of the day. Arizona is safe and clean for the most part. There are bad areas like Maryvale etc but you don't see a Maryvale every other block like you see in South Florida. MOST of the beach areas are crime ridden. They are not all like Miami Beach/South Beach like you see on television. This is not California where most beach front properties are exclusive and really expensive. Florida has a lot of cheap beach front property and condos and many of these areas crime ridden.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 12-01-2014 at 01:32 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 08:31 AM

269 posts, read 831,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm probably the best person to answer this since I currently live in Florida while my family lives in Arizona. I work in both states. I think Florida is a more fun place to visit but Arizona is a much better place to live. Florida is diverse so it depends where you live. I live in the Miami metropolitan area. The wealthy retirees and snowbirds give Florida a false sense of wealth and upper class. The retirees come from the northeast and have a lot of money. However, the non-snowbird/retired crowd is quite poor and resembles Detroit. The true under 40 crowd with families are not flashy nor do they have a lot of money. Hence the day to day living here is quite different those vacationing here. All those fancy cars and high end shops etc are not marketed toward the locals; they are marketed to the snowbirds and European and Latin American tourists.

Weather - Florida is humid all year and requires use of your air conditioner for the entire year. It is true t-shirt and short weather all year. It never changes. There is no cooling period. It's true the summers are not hot here. It rains too much for the summers to get really warm. The summers rain constantly. In South Florida, it rains at least once daily from June through August. I prefer the hot dry summers of Phoenix because at least you can plan your day and you are not worried about getting into traffic accident due to poor visibility and wet roads.

Congestion - Florida is much more congested which makes life difficult. Grocery stores, Department stores, malls, movie theaters, restaurants are all crowded. Parking is difficult to find. Everything is narrow. Parking lots are tiny. Restaurants are tiny. Arizona offers the same amenities but they are newer, BIGGER and offer more parking. The roads are designed better in Arizona so there is less traffic and it's much easier to commute to parts of the city.

Bad Service/Poor Work Ethic - in Florida, service is universally terrible. There are long waits for everything. It is like a third world country. The culture does not espouse professionalism, organization or courtesy. People cut in line. Drivers are rude and cut you off or block intersections at 4 way traffic stops. Everyone is late for everything. Nothing starts on time including movie times. It's extremely frustrating. In Arizona, people are punctual, polite and professional.

Ghetto/Run Down areas - This surprised me. There are a lot of bad areas (ghettos) all over Florida. And it doesn't matter where you live. Wealthy areas are adjacent to ghetto areas. There are crack dealers and homeless people walking in front of Rolls Royce and Bentley dealerships in downtown Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Drug addicts are constantly pan handling for money. Gang members will cross major 3 lane streets in the middle of the day and do not care about getting hit or will stare you down to force you to stop in the middle of a major street.

Schools - the schools here are lousy. Even the private schools are worse than our best charter schools in Phoenix. The teachers are often do not have degrees. The private schools are expensive relative to what they offer. I was astonished to find that my sons' public school in Chandler is better than every school in this area including private schools.

Health Care - my gosh, I would not want to be trapped here with health issues. Long waits, paper charts (No Electronic Medical Records), doctors who speak really poor English(I'm Mexican and grew up speaking Spanish), dilapidated and old equipment, hospitals that look like they are out of the 1970's

Restaurants - wow, really surprised by the lack of options here. I was expecting world class cuisine and top notch restaurants. And the Phoenix/Scottsdale metro just offers so much more in terms of quality, diversity, service etc. Even the seafood here is pretty lousy. You would think that being on the water, this place would be known for great seafood.

Crime is a big issue here. Unlike the Valley, you can't just live anywhere in Florida. There is TRUE crime here. You can rent at the nicest condominium or apartment and you still have to fear your car being broken into or your wheels being stolen. If you don't have a garage or a secure indoor place to park your car, there is a good chance something bad will happen to it. There is a lot more street and petty crime. And this occurs even in nice areas here. People have robbed people at gas stations in the middle of the day. Arizona is safe and clean for the most part. There are bad areas like Maryvale etc but you don't see a Maryvale every other block like you see in South Florida. MOST of the beach areas are crime ridden. They are not all like Miami Beach/South Beach like you see on television. This is not California where most beach front properties are exclusive and really expensive. Florida has a lot of cheap beach front property and condos and many of these areas crime ridden.
Everything you just described here pertains mostly to South Florida which is the reason I would never live there. Specifically the weather. South Florida rarely gets the cold fronts but Northern and Central florida does. So while it's 75 degrees lastnight in Miami I slept with the windows open in the Orlando area because we were in the 50s.

I have plenty of neighbors who moved up from the Miami area because of what you described and as I tell all of our out of town friends Orlando is definitely a better area to live in and there's more to do here.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:43 PM

3,680 posts, read 5,467,249 times
Quote:

Man, you were pretty detailed in your description of the area of South Florida you were familiar with. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah1979 View Post
Everything you just described here pertains mostly to South Florida which is the reason I would never live there. Specifically the weather. South Florida rarely gets the cold fronts but Northern and Central florida does. So while it's 75 degrees lastnight in Miami I slept with the windows open in the Orlando area because we were in the 50s.

I have plenty of neighbors who moved up from the Miami area because of what you described and as I tell all of our out of town friends Orlando is definitely a better area to live in and there's more to do here.
I somewhat agree. Orlando is better than South Florida but it's still "Florida" in terms of lacking professionalism, and organization and just common sense. For example, in Orlando, they will shut down a lane on I-4 due to construction in the middle of rush hour at 7 PM when people are trying to get home. You would never see that in Phoenix. I mean seriously, who shuts down an entire left lane on a major freeway for elective construction at 7 PM rush hour. So it still has those South Florida tendencies. In Phoenix, they will do this on I-10 but it will be from 12 AM to 6 AM only on certain evenings which they will announce in advance.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:00 PM

4,923 posts, read 5,422,487 times
Funniest thing I ever heard from a person from Arizona: Florida has too many tourists and transplants.. ( I am thinking like Arizona doesn't. (Mod cut-- rude, unnecessary)

Last edited by observer53; 12-03-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Man, you were pretty detailed in your description of the area of South Florida you were familiar with. Thanks for sharing.
Because Florida is such a farce and people don't know the real Florida. I was like all of you and thought it would be a really fun place to live due to the beach, weather and amenities and I've discovered what a pain it is to LIVE here. It's truly like a third world country in terms of everyday living; nothing is simple here. The beach is so overrated. After a few times, it's boring. What are you going to do lay out? To do boating and other activities, requires a lot of money which 90% of the locals here can't afford. Just to rent or own a dock can cost you over 100K and that doesn't include the boat. However, I still think it's an amazing place to vacation.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Funniest thing I ever heard from a person from Arizona: Florida has too many tourists and transplants.. ( I am thinking like Arizona doesn't.
Edited: out of respect to UKWildcat. Post wasn't directed at me.

Last edited by observer53; 12-03-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 12:07 PM

4,923 posts, read 5,422,487 times
Quote:
The difference is there is enough space to accomodate both. Also, our transplants from the United States not Latin American, the West Indies and South America. I love stupid people too.
I like Arizona better than Florida but they have so many stupid people in Arizona, it has to one of the lowest ranked states in public education. I can't believe Kentucky is ranked lower than Arizona. Must be all the hillbilly Eastern Kentucky counties that bring us down.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I wasnt even talking about you man, you are on some ego trip.. i was talking about a guy I met in Phoenix once. I just thought it was a funny statement. Nothing to do with you man, chill out.
Then be careful how you post and clarify because your comment can easily be interpreted that it was directed at me. Yes, I'm passionate about this topic because I'm living it right now. People have no idea what this place is really like. And I'm not posting negative reviews about this on the Florida forum out of respect. But if someone here is asking my opinion, I'll post it.

Everything has to be difficult in Florida for no reason and you can only understand that if you live here. We take things for granted in Phoenix.

That being said, I will reiterate there is a lot more to do in Florida in terms of vacation/amenties/tourism. Until the Phoenix metropolitan area gets at least one or two major theme parks, you can't really compare the two. Orlando is world class in terms of entertainment. The sad thing is if Phoenix stepped this up, they would become another Orlando on the west and attract people. L.A. is not really like that. Phoenix has the feel of Orlando in terms of its size, cleanliness, organization, proximity of hotels and amenities. If they got a major theme park, Phoenix would really attract more tourists.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 12-03-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona