U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 02:41 AM

123 posts, read 509,806 times

Advertisements

Arizona has it's challenges in Education. Major factors include many immigrants from south of the border that come to school not speaking English or as a second language and a large Native American population troubled by well known socio-economic conditions on the rez. This would have an impact on the rankings you mention.

AZ's 2 largest universities are ranked among the overall top 100 in the world. Several majors are ranked among the very best in the US. IE MIS at U of A is consistently in the top 2 or 3 in the country.

UK, making a blanket statement that so many Arizonans are stupid is just ignorant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 01:15 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,263,959 times
AZ is head and shoulders above FL in almost every category except access to beaches / saltwater and theme parks. IMO, winter weather in FL is better than winter weather in AZ, although this is more subjective. Overall, AZ kicks the snot out of FL with regard to weather, scenery, proximity to spectacular and intriguing places, cost-of-living, and -- most of all -- people quality.

With regard to people quality in particular, I found people to be much more pleasant and easier to live around in AZ than in FL. AZ has a classic live-and-let-live Western vibe -- very casual; polite (e.g., you'll rarely hear a car horn in Phoenix, despite it being the 5th or 6th largest city in the country); open-minded; tolerant, even if not approving; and although people can seem aloof, they are usually pleasant if you talk first. For the most part, people in FL are angry, miserable, rude, arrogant, selfish, and -- in many cases -- just plain bizarre. Most of the time, people in FL are just looking to "one-up" you -- cut you in line, beat you to the stoplight, etc. -- very East Coast-like. Lots of "tough" NY/NJ types in FL, too. Although AZ is just as transient as Florida, I encountered significantly less shadiness in personal interactions and business transactions in AZ. Overall, people quality is generally much lower in FL compared to AZ, and this greatly impacts your day-to-day life, especially if you're work and/or going to school (retired, probably not as much).

Although this is a sensitive issue, I should mention that there is a tremendous amount of racial tension in FL, mostly due to lots and lots of transplants (mostly working-class ethnic whites) from highly-segregated cities in the Northeast and Midwest as well as many natives (mostly black and Hispanic) who harbor a lot of bitterness towards other races. Not for nothing, but AZ is an easier place to live as a white person -- no reverse racism or racial strife to really speak of, fewer angry minorities (and angry people in general), fewer thuggish types, etc. Overall, people of different racial and ethnic backgrounds seem to coexist better in AZ than in FL. Oh, yeah -- way less tolerance for ghetto behavior in AZ, too.

Overall, living in AZ was a much more positive and enjoyable experience than living in FL. For me personally, living in FL kinda felt like wearing a pair of shoes that just didn't fit right, and there are many other posters on City-Data who share a similar sentiment.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:44 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,653,147 times
Arizona's Grand Canyon is much better to look at than Florida's sinkholes.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:07 PM

142 posts, read 208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Schools - the schools here are lousy. Even the private schools are worse than our best charter schools in Phoenix. The teachers are often do not have degrees. The private schools are expensive relative to what they offer. I was astonished to find that my sons' public school in Chandler is better than every school in this area including private schools.

Health Care - my gosh, I would not want to be trapped here with health issues. Long waits, paper charts (No Electronic Medical Records), doctors who speak really poor English(I'm Mexican and grew up speaking Spanish), dilapidated and old equipment, hospitals that look like they are out of the 1970's
You're incorrect about schools. I was a teacher in FL. We're required to have a 4 year degree and certification in the public and charter schools. You might be thinking of Texas which only requires a high school diploma to teach in a charter school. Unless you mean private school teachers don't have degrees, in which case yeah, the pay is like $20,000 a year. They can't attract college people at that wage.

As for healthcare, I'm also a nurse. Some hospitals are god-awful, but some are spectacular. Stroke centers, trauma centers, magnet hospitals, etc. are more likely to be better hospitals. If a hospital isn't nationally recognized for something, I wouldn't go there.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:09 PM

142 posts, read 208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLookingToo View Post
Arizona has it's challenges in Education. Major factors include many immigrants from south of the border that come to school not speaking English or as a second language and a large Native American population troubled by well known socio-economic conditions on the rez. This would have an impact on the rankings you mention.

AZ's 2 largest universities are ranked among the overall top 100 in the world. Several majors are ranked among the very best in the US. IE MIS at U of A is consistently in the top 2 or 3 in the country.

UK, making a blanket statement that so many Arizonans are stupid is just ignorant.
Half of all illegal immigrants come to FL. FL is full of non-English speaking kids from Mexico, Cuba, you name it. I taught at a school near Tampa that was 70% immigrants speaking Spanish. Also FL's got Seminoles and other tribes. There's really no difference there.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:29 AM

10,720 posts, read 18,466,433 times
I prefer the weather in Arizona including the winter weather. In Arizona, there is a cooling period during the winter which is pleasant. It's not cold enough to freeze but cool enough for a a jacket or light sweater. In Florida, the humidity is so high even during cooler temps that you still have to run your air conditioner even in the dead of winter. I sleep so much better during Arizona winters because it is cool and dry. In Florida, it's still sticky and humid in your home even wihen it is 70 degrees outside.

What surprised me was the summer in Florida. It rains a LOT!!! It is overcast a LOT!! The summer rain in Florida is extremely downplayed on these forums. People talk about heat but they fail to discuss how problematic the rain is in the summer. In South Florida, it rains at least once a day for three straight months. And the rain can be disruptive at times. Driving home at 6 pm during the summer could be downright scary as the rain could be so heavy and blinding. Furthermore, the rain causes all types of lizards and bugs to come in your home. Lightning storms are visible and loud. I actually preferred the dry heat of Phoenix summers. While the dry heat is not pleasant, most of us don't experience it because we are working during the worst parts of the heat and only experience the nice parts of in the morning and evening. Also, you can plan your day during the Arizona summers. The likelihood of rain canceling events is unlikely. In Florida, baseball games, soccer games, picnics, birthday parties can be cancelled, delayed or rescheduled at an instant notice due to the rain.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 12-16-2014 at 06:38 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 06:55 AM

4,923 posts, read 5,431,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
AZ is head and shoulders above FL in almost every category except access to beaches / saltwater and theme parks. IMO, winter weather in FL is better than winter weather in AZ, although this is more subjective. Overall, AZ kicks the snot out of FL with regard to weather, scenery, proximity to spectacular and intriguing places, cost-of-living, and -- most of all -- people quality.

With regard to people quality in particular, I found people to be much more pleasant and easier to live around in AZ than in FL. AZ has a classic live-and-let-live Western vibe -- very casual; polite (e.g., you'll rarely hear a car horn in Phoenix, despite it being the 5th or 6th largest city in the country); open-minded; tolerant, even if not approving; and although people can seem aloof, they are usually pleasant if you talk first. For the most part, people in FL are angry, miserable, rude, arrogant, selfish, and -- in many cases -- just plain bizarre. Most of the time, people in FL are just looking to "one-up" you -- cut you in line, beat you to the stoplight, etc. -- very East Coast-like. Lots of "tough" NY/NJ types in FL, too. Although AZ is just as transient as Florida, I encountered significantly less shadiness in personal interactions and business transactions in AZ. Overall, people quality is generally much lower in FL compared to AZ, and this greatly impacts your day-to-day life, especially if you're work and/or going to school (retired, probably not as much).

Although this is a sensitive issue, I should mention that there is a tremendous amount of racial tension in FL, mostly due to lots and lots of transplants (mostly working-class ethnic whites) from highly-segregated cities in the Northeast and Midwest as well as many natives (mostly black and Hispanic) who harbor a lot of bitterness towards other races. Not for nothing, but AZ is an easier place to live as a white person -- no reverse racism or racial strife to really speak of, fewer angry minorities (and angry people in general), fewer thuggish types, etc. Overall, people of different racial and ethnic backgrounds seem to coexist better in AZ than in FL. Oh, yeah -- way less tolerance for ghetto behavior in AZ, too.

Overall, living in AZ was a much more positive and enjoyable experience than living in FL. For me personally, living in FL kinda felt like wearing a pair of shoes that just didn't fit right, and there are many other posters on City-Data who share a similar sentiment.
I wish I could like this post 100000 times. This is very accurate. Great post, I totally agreed with everything for the most part.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:12 AM

10,720 posts, read 18,466,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by October_Pumpkin View Post

As for healthcare, I'm also a nurse. Some hospitals are god-awful, but some are spectacular. Stroke centers, trauma centers, magnet hospitals, etc. are more likely to be better hospitals. If a hospital isn't nationally recognized for something, I wouldn't go there.
I'm a physician here and I'm including your "best" hospitals. Nationally rankings have more to do with donations and research funding than quality of care. Even at the best hospitals here, I still see paper charts, long waits, deviation of evidence based medicine, poor nursing care, poor access to medical records, lack of current and new treatment options etc.. And this opinion is shared by other physician who were trained elsewhere and moved here. Also, you should not have to be limited to nationally ranked hospitals to receive adequate care. That is unacceptable on so many levels. In Phoenix, the community hospitals offer some of the best care because many of the private physicians were trained at the nations best universities and hospitals and moved to the Valley for the increased pay and quality of life.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:15 AM

123 posts, read 509,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by October_Pumpkin View Post
Half of all illegal immigrants come to FL. FL is full of non-English speaking kids from Mexico, Cuba, you name it. I taught at a school near Tampa that was 70% immigrants speaking Spanish. Also FL's got Seminoles and other tribes. There's really no difference there.
Arizona has a Native American population of 5.5%, Florida is .4% or about 14 times per capita, so there is a huge difference there. Can't dispute the legal/illegal immigrants affect both states, but I do feel with a porous land border, its harder to measure AZ then being surrounded by ocean on 3 sides in Florida.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:34 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,476,582 times
All is quiet on the comparisons right now. There is actually no comparison these days! Arizona is mu h colder these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona