U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 02:59 PM

22,374 posts, read 6,088,937 times

Advertisements

I prefer Arizona to Florida.....the landscape and scenery just appeals to me more in Arizona.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 01:02 AM

1,857 posts, read 970,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolecounty2014 View Post
Az vs Fl opinions? Have you lived in both places? Which do you prefer in why? Other then the reasons one has dry heat vs humid heat. What about overall quality of life?
I left Florida in early 2017 and moved back to my home state of AZ. As posted earlier, I have been euphoric even since. I moved to Scottsdale for a consulting job then moved again to Chandler which is awesome.
I like driving up to Flagstaff on weekends and doing mountain running above 8000 feet in the alpine trees.

The Tropical Storm Rosa this morning gave flashbacks of Florida with the long-dropping rain and excessive flooding. I have experienced Tropical Storm Fay at its worse in Tallahassee and recall Hurricane Frances when it became a tropical storm inland in North FL to GA. I survived Hurricane Hermine.

Arizona "tropical storms" lean more towards a depression but still cause a lot of rain and huge, dangerous flooding. I'd just avoid driving in those conditions. It reminds me of FL. But FL was worse. I hated the debris, fallen trees and utility electric poles strewn across the road. The sight of caravans of large white utility trucks to bring the electric grid back up was common in those days. I am glad I left.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:08 AM

101 posts, read 94,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I prefer Arizona to Florida.....the landscape and scenery just appeals to me more in Arizona.
I'm curious, what areas of Arizona and Florida have you lived in? And which did you prefer when it comes to other important things, like, friendliness of people, cleanliness of the cities/areas you lived.spent time in, traffic and the conditions of the roads/freeways, crime, cost of living, and overall quality of life?

I was born and raised in Arizona, lived in Chandler (which has drastically changed since I moved away in 1991) until I was 16 and have now spent almost half of my life in Payson, but I lived in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area (Pinellas Park, St. Pete and Palm Harbor) for almost 5 years (2007-2012) and I really miss Florida a lot, to be honest.

Truth be told, I'm something of a homebody, so I wasn't often out and about and experiencing much of what Florida has to offer outside; but the people in the Tampa/Palm Harbor area were mostly really nice (in my experiences), I loved my job, and I have some other personal reasons that have honestly romanticized living in Florida for me (which, admittedly, is certainly affecting my feelings about and memories of living in Florida), so I can't seem to help but often think about trying to move back out to the Tampa/Palm Harbor area.

With that said, I don't want to possibly end up letting my fond memories and emotional recollections affect me too much and end up causing me to make an emotional/impulsive decision about leaving Arizona and moving back across the country to Florida. So, that's why I always enjoy seeing threads like this and reading through them, as it helps me to try to gather information and feedback, which are definitely helpful when it comes to trying to make a good, well-informed decision about what would be a tremendously important choice in my life.

Sorry for the lengthy post. It just got my attention when I saw that this thread had been bumped, so I wanted to hurry up and reply and try to get some current/recent feedback about the Arizona-Florida discussion while there was new activity in the thread and I might be able to get some good, helpful feedback.

If anyone has any thoughts/feedback about this debate/discussion in 2018, please know that I'd be glad to read some current thoughts on this subject.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:52 AM

869 posts, read 800,402 times
Arizona's geography and climate diversity beats what FL or even the Southeast has. It's unique and never gets old. I agree that FL is a cool place to visit for warm beaches and Disney World but that's it. I do know that West Coast FL may have a slightly better QOL as some of my fam is in Naples and around the Fort Myers area. It's a lot less crowded and less New Yawkas and Joisees the Chicagoans who don't go to AZ go here instead. Chicagoans are a lot more tolerable lol

Old 10-07-2018, 09:32 PM

20 posts, read 11,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
I'm curious, what areas of Arizona and Florida have you lived in? And which did you prefer when it comes to other important things, like, friendliness of people, cleanliness of the cities/areas you lived.spent time in, traffic and the conditions of the roads/freeways, crime, cost of living, and overall quality of life?

I was born and raised in Arizona, lived in Chandler (which has drastically changed since I moved away in 1991) until I was 16 and have now spent almost half of my life in Payson, but I lived in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area (Pinellas Park, St. Pete and Palm Harbor) for almost 5 years (2007-2012) and I really miss Florida a lot, to be honest.

Truth be told, I'm something of a homebody, so I wasn't often out and about and experiencing much of what Florida has to offer outside; but the people in the Tampa/Palm Harbor area were mostly really nice (in my experiences), I loved my job, and I have some other personal reasons that have honestly romanticized living in Florida for me (which, admittedly, is certainly affecting my feelings about and memories of living in Florida), so I can't seem to help but often think about trying to move back out to the Tampa/Palm Harbor area.

With that said, I don't want to possibly end up letting my fond memories and emotional recollections affect me too much and end up causing me to make an emotional/impulsive decision about leaving Arizona and moving back across the country to Florida. So, that's why I always enjoy seeing threads like this and reading through them, as it helps me to try to gather information and feedback, which are definitely helpful when it comes to trying to make a good, well-informed decision about what would be a tremendously important choice in my life.

Sorry for the lengthy post. It just got my attention when I saw that this thread had been bumped, so I wanted to hurry up and reply and try to get some current/recent feedback about the Arizona-Florida discussion while there was new activity in the thread and I might be able to get some good, helpful feedback.

If anyone has any thoughts/feedback about this debate/discussion in 2018, please know that I'd be glad to read some current thoughts on this subject.
I lived in the Tampa area in the mid 90s & still have family in the Palm Harbor area. I was just there visiting last July. Right now I live in Connecticut, but am planning to move to Tucson in 2019.

What I don't like about FL is the humidity, it's crowded & the people can be unpleasant (not everyone, but generally speaking). I find this true for most of the East Coast, oddly enough I enjoy NYC though.

I've also noticed housing costs have increased a lot in that area of FL. Obviously I miss FL because of my family (I also have family in Green Valley AZ) but I think I like FL more as a vacation spot. Did I mention I hate humidity

Old 10-07-2018, 09:52 PM

20 posts, read 11,839 times
I also forgot to add, AZ doesn't change the clocks for daylight savings time. I can never get used to the time change

Old 10-10-2018, 01:04 AM

1,857 posts, read 970,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolecounty2014 View Post
Az vs Fl opinions? Have you lived in both places? Which do you prefer in why? Other then the reasons one has dry heat vs humid heat. What about overall quality of life?
After Hurricane Hermine hit my house in FL I evacuated back to my home state of AZ. Now, that area is bracing for Hurricane Michael. Even the local residents who had experienced the wrath of Ivan and Hermine say there is something different about this one - a special intensity of horror. I am glad I am back in Phoenix.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 AM

3,038 posts, read 5,660,700 times
Yes AZ does not have hurricanes.
Nor do we have earthquakes, the last to cause damage was in the 1800s.
No tornadoes either. Not many risks here.
My wife is a native of Tombstone while I was born/raised in N. CA with an ideal climate.
We moved back here for retirement due to the costs of retirement in CA.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:40 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,647,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
My wife is a native of Tombstone while I was born/raised in N. CA with an ideal climate.We moved back here for retirement due to the costs of retirement in CA.
It's very disappointing that the state you may have preferred to live in has become too costly to retire in.

Sorry to hear.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 PM

3,038 posts, read 5,660,700 times
I have known many in my life that had to abandon the state they are from for better costs over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona