Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 03:21 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times

Advertisements

Our cats used to be outside all the time, and the only problem they had was with blue jays. I guess the cats had been chasing the jays for a while, and the birds got so furious that they started attacking the cats, swooping down on them when the cats would be slinking across the backyard.

As to natural diseases and carcinogens - I'm exposed to them, so why should cats be any different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 03:26 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
How is an animal without a collar, roaming the streets "obviously a pet"? Your cat presumably looked like a stray. Why is it so far-fetched to believe that someone thought they were helping a stray cat? You're really jumping to conclusions by assuming that some "trapper" hunted your cat for money. I don't buy it for a second.
Well...that is your perception and you are entitled to it. All I originally posted was anther really good reason to keep your cats indoors. The number of missing pets in our neighborhood tells another story. That or there is a really well fed pack of coyotes somewhere in the greenbelt.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
As to natural diseases and carcinogens - I'm exposed to them, so why should cats be any different?
We don't want kids or loved ones exposed to disease and carcinogens. You aren't exposed to people who poison you with antifreeze, rat poison, etc. Nor are you exposed to people who shoot you with bb guns or arrows. Not to mention fast moving cars, owls, hawks, coyotes, and other natural predators.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I understand. It's just that trapping cats is never a moneymaking deal. I'm glad your current cats are chipped and safe!
From a Rescue's perspective, I would agree. One rescue that I know of was called to pull 20+ cats out of a hoarders' house. Many of them had to be put down and a handful were suitable for adoption. I don't know how much euthanizing a cat costs (when we had to put down our dog it was a couple hundred dollars) but I would imagine after that and the costs of getting the remainder healthy...it can get expensive.

And thank you...we recently added some shelves up to the top windows in the living room...they love the bird's eye view from there.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...that is your perception and you are entitled to it. All I originally posted was anther really good reason to keep your cats indoors. The number of missing pets in our neighborhood tells another story. That or there is a really well fed pack of coyotes somewhere in the greenbelt.
A reason that I don't believe exists. I think it's misleading at best to tell people that there are roaming trappers going through Valley neighborhoods hunting peoples' pets to flip them for cash. Should people simply ignore an animal wandering the streets that may be in need?

You didn't answer my question. How is an animal without a collar, roaming the streets "obviously a pet"? I don't really care for cats but if I see a stray dog, you better believe that I'm picking it up and taking it to safety. Ideally it will have a collar but if not, it's going to a rescue or worst case a shelter. Better than being eaten or hit by a car.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
A reason that I don't believe exists. I think it's misleading at best to tell people that there are roaming trappers going through Valley neighborhoods hunting peoples' pets to flip them for cash. Should people simply ignore an animal wandering the streets that may be in need?

You didn't answer my question. How is an animal without a collar, roaming the streets "obviously a pet"? I don't really care for cats but if I see a stray dog, you better believe that I'm picking it up and taking it to safety. Ideally it will have a collar but if not, it's going to a rescue or worst case a shelter. Better than being eaten or hit by a car.
Not saying that you shouldn't help an animal in need, but you can usually tell if a cat is a pet. Is it fed or is it obviously malnourished? Is it friendly or skittish (not always...you are not their human and they can tell if you are a "cat person" or not)? Are there any wounds? Cats will normally find their way home when they are hungry. Typically if a cat gets out you can place their food and/or a toy in the backyard and they will find their way home. They can smell them from long distances. Also, depending on the breed, they won't normally stray too far from their home. They can't do that if they smell treats in a trap and get stuck due to natural curiosity.

Dogs? Completely different and yes, I have corralled dogs running loose and tried to find their homes.

But...and I understand this is not your experience but mine...there are people roaming neighborhoods trapping pets and either "adopting" them out or talking them to the shelter. As I said in my original post...get your animals chipped so if they do get out, at least you have a leg to stand on. If they end up at the shelter, they will call you to come get your lost pet.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:07 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:

Great point, Detroit . . .

The $130 "flip or trapper" fee is a piece of cake compared to a vet bill.

About six months ago, a distant "cat loving" neighbor (about a block away) found his cat almost chewed to death by something wild, probably a Coyote or two. A couple weeks in the Hospital / ER plus a number of weeks of constant care came to well over $4,000. I have a feeling he would have greatly preferred the $130 "trapper fee".

Just for the record . . . his cats, including the "recovered" one, still roam the neighborhood.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,498 times
Great posts, everyone! Thanks for your thoughts and contributions. Been a while since I checked out this post but I'm glad if anyone has found it helpful. KurtAZ, thanks for your #6 addition "Trappers in the guise of a "Rescue"". While there are definitely plenty of animal welfare non-profits out there trapping for TNR, or trap/neuter/return (as Kimballette suggested, and I've participated in and been involved with TNR myself for years - another story), there are also non-friendlies out there looking to make a profit off well-adjusted, people-friendly lost kitties. Not wanting to delve into the dirty, nitty gritty of how they operate, but I have first-hand knowledge that our lost kitties can be used for unsavory purposes. That is why, on a whole, adoption shelters keep their adoption fees cost-prohibitive for those who would use the animals for other purposes. It is certainly a scary and sad prospect, but unfortunately a reality that sometimes animals are used in ways which we do not agree, or even illegally. Hopefully though, if we all keep in mind that keeping your pets indoors will keep them alive longer and provide a richer, better quality life will ensure we never have to deal with all the factors described above for outdoor risks. And please, wherever you live, consider microchipping your pets. If they are found, that's the first thing shelters and vet clinics do is look for a microchip. Thanks, and please feel free to comment to my post.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:10 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
I'm not a cat person but I've always assumed cats are generally inside pets. Where in the world can cats roam outside freely without the risks outlined in this post? Anywhere I've lived I can think of a ton of potential problems for cats roaming around on their own.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:55 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,815 times
rattlesnake got my cat..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona